Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Who is from Yorkshire?

Who is from Yorkshire?

Old Dec 16th 2011, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is from Yorkshire?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I remember the balcony falling down in the Gaumont. My first job was at the Education Offices on Leopold Street. I used to love Cole Brothers (John Lewis).
Wow you worked just around the corner, Coles Bro's was a great store, I don't remember the balcony dropping at the Gaumont, (I left in Jan 76)...

It amazes me that Sheffield built that hole in the road then filled it in for Trams... that hole was a brilliant idea...
Old Dec 16th 2011, 4:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Wow you worked just around the corner, Coles Bro's was a great store, I don't remember the balcony dropping at the Gaumont, (I left in Jan 76)...

It amazes me that Sheffield built that hole in the road then filled it in for Trams... that hole was a brilliant idea...
It was pre '76. Walsh's used to be 'the' store. Do you remember Cockaynes store....top of Snig Hill opposite the Co-Op.

Everyone used to meet their dates at the fish tank. I just about remember trams crossing there before the hole in the road.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 4:56 pm
***** regular

Yorkshire Loiner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i'm from Batley Carr and Morley, Leeds.
Now living in the Florida Keys in a right dive trying to keep my head above water
'Oh HAPPY days' at least im not freezin cold but i miss a chicken vindaloo and a pint of Tetley Bitter.
I miss the yorkshire crack tha nos
Old Dec 17th 2011, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It was pre '76. Walsh's used to be 'the' store. Do you remember Cockaynes store....top of Snig Hill opposite the Co-Op.

Everyone used to meet their dates at the fish tank. I just about remember trams crossing there before the hole in the road.
Hello Jersey.

Walsh's was the most expensive shop in Sheffield no doubt about it, I seem to think they got bought out by Harrods.

I do remember Cockaynes on Snig Hill just above the Cinema we spoke about, what about Atkinsons on the Moor, Redgates toy shop, it was massive, and Virgin Records, they had a small shop near the top of the moor, that was years before Branson became famous, I used to like Philip Canns on Chapel Walk, the Music store...

Id forgotten the fish tank but you are right, it was a meeting place, I remember the Trolley buses before that hole was dug... Oh Boyyyyy...

Other members of this thread have to be getting tired of us by now LOL, I sure hope others can share memories.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 9:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Jersey.

Walsh's was the most expensive shop in Sheffield no doubt about it, I seem to think they got bought out by Harrods.

I do remember Cockaynes on Snig Hill just above the Cinema we spoke about, what about Atkinsons on the Moor, Redgates toy shop, it was massive, and Virgin Records, they had a small shop near the top of the moor, that was years before Branson became famous, I used to like Philip Canns on Chapel Walk, the Music store...

Id forgotten the fish tank but you are right, it was a meeting place, I remember the Trolley buses before that hole was dug... Oh Boyyyyy...

Other members of this thread have to be getting tired of us by now LOL, I sure hope others can share memories.
I remember all those. It's nice to walk down memory lane again.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

made in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant future

hi , i,m enjoying reading your post ,great memories ......it really is a great city i try an get back at least once a year ,infact i,ll be back this time next weeki,ll take a walk down town ,go and see the super owls ..a stroll down Ecclesall rd ,Rivelin a few beers 'wit lads' .......theres no place like home!
Old Dec 17th 2011, 1:46 pm
***** regular

Originally Posted by helwardman
Dewsbury born and bred.
Hi DOWSBRY I'm from Barfeild tha nos lol!
Old Dec 18th 2011, 11:18 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Leeds
Old Dec 18th 2011, 11:35 am
***** regular

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Leeds
Which part of Leeds ?
Old Dec 18th 2011, 2:05 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Loiner
Which part of Leeds ?
LS5.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 3:36 pm
***** regular

LS5.
Horsforth ? I am from Morley.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by made in sheffield
hi , i,m enjoying reading your post ,great memories ......it really is a great city i try an get back at least once a year ,infact i,ll be back this time next weeki,ll take a walk down town ,go and see the super owls ..a stroll down Ecclesall rd ,Rivelin a few beers 'wit lads' .......theres no place like home!
Love the name, you can't beat "Made in Sheffield"...

Back next weekend, Huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I wish I was, we used to go every year as my wife was a travel agent, but since 95 its every year or two or sometimes three...

Going to see the owls, Right on pal, I was a Sheff Wednesday fan too...

I lived on the outskirts of Sheffield (Beighton) but I've been down Ecclesall road more than a few times, its Lovely... My Grandma used to work in that area in the 1910-20s if you can believe that... A lady form this Forum just went back to that area, I sure hope she loves it...

Its nice for you to pop in, I was thinking Jersey and I were taking over... I didn't want to bore people, C-Mon Folks speak up, there has to be more Yorkshire connections out there, Enjoy your sen next weekend...
Old Dec 18th 2011, 4:40 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Loiner
Horsforth ? I am from Morley.
Kirkstall, opposite the abbey.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 5:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Love the name, you can't beat "Made in Sheffield"...

Back next weekend, Huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I wish I was, we used to go every year as my wife was a travel agent, but since 95 its every year or two or sometimes three...

Going to see the owls, Right on pal, I was a Sheff Wednesday fan too...

I lived on the outskirts of Sheffield (Beighton) but I've been down Ecclesall road more than a few times, its Lovely... My Grandma used to work in that area in the 1910-20s if you can believe that... A lady form this Forum just went back to that area, I sure hope she loves it...

Its nice for you to pop in, I was thinking Jersey and I were taking over... I didn't want to bore people, C-Mon Folks speak up, there has to be more Yorkshire connections out there, Enjoy your sen next weekend...
My grandfather made cutlery and 'Made in Sheffield' was written on the knives.

3 of my old schools were only a few miles away from the Wednesday ground. I used to date a boy whose parents owned the little sweet shop right by the back entrance on Leppings Lane.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 6:24 pm
***** regular

Kirkstall, opposite the abbey.
Nice i had some good Summer memories in the Abbey grounds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.