Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Who is from Yorkshire?

Who is from Yorkshire?

Old Feb 1st 2015, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

cityboys1911 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Who is from Yorkshire?

the last time I went back home was to go to Wembley back in 2013 to see BFD CITY in the carling cup final quick visit and it was freezing but I miss my soccer so I had to go back
Old Feb 16th 2015, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

nug nugs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Thanks for your reply Fish n Chips. Sorry for the delay in replying we have started a new business and its been a bit manic. We had to buy this for our visa, so been learning the ropes. I have three kids (although my eldest is not really a kid at all 26) then 16 and 15. How long have you been here? From your message it sounds quite a while. Are you planning on returning to the UK for good or just for a visit. It has changed quite a bit over the years, however the grass is always greener is the phase I thinking of now I'm here. My hubby is still in the UK at the min, as he had to give 12 months notice . Im hoping that once we are all here we will settle better.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

nug nugs is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Nutmegger. Yes Thorner is very close to Wetherby. It is a beautiful little village with a fantastic pub that does a mean Sunday lunch. You must try and get over and try it sometime.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 1:35 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nug nugs
Thanks Nutmegger. Yes Thorner is very close to Wetherby. It is a beautiful little village with a fantastic pub that does a mean Sunday lunch. You must try and get over and try it sometime.
Was that the Fox by any chance? Long ago memories of watching the Bramham Park stages of the RAC rally then nipping along there for a pub lunch. Think it was the Fox, anyway...
Old Feb 17th 2015, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Thanks for your reply Fish n Chips. Sorry for the delay in replying we have started a new business and its been a bit manic. We had to buy this for our visa, so been learning the ropes. I have three kids (although my eldest is not really a kid at all 26) then 16 and 15. How long have you been here? From your message it sounds quite a while. Are you planning on returning to the UK for good or just for a visit. It has changed quite a bit over the years, however the grass is always greener is the phase I thinking of now I'm here. My hubby is still in the UK at the min, as he had to give 12 months notice . Im hoping that once we are all here we will settle better.
I've been here since 76, I was 19 at the time and an apprentice in the UK, I was enjoying the start of my adult life, I didn't earn enough money to support myself so I had little choice in the matter, I came so as not to split up the family or make it difficult for my parents.

I was all set to go back in 2009-2010 but the financial crunch took away all my savings and financial ability to leave here, I'm self employed, times were rough after the 09 crunch, I expected America to bounce back as it always has but it didnt, my income dropped to 40% of previous years and I used all my savings to help support myself over the next few years...

Id love to return to the UK, I think about it all the time, I've tried it once but couldn't get a job, (89/90) although people have always been very nice to me here I've always felt like a fish out of water.

Id say my friends and In laws in the UK have had a better life than I, I think it would have been better for me too, numerous reasons, many of them have retired, I cant see that in the near future for me, I'm looking at 70.

The UK has changed a lot, I go back and it still feels like home to me, for one thing it feels safer, its a state of mind, I know I cant go back to 1976, but I still see plenty of good in the UK.

Settling, Its not like I hate this place because I dont, I live in a wonderful part of the country, after living her for 39 years I still feel like a guest, I took my citizenship 20 years ago and it did help for a while, people still talk to me and treat me like I got off the boat yesterday, Ive been here 2/3rds of my life.

Many Americans do treat Brits very well, they do make you feel special, well thats how I feel.

Good Luck with your new Business, Id say what you doing is tough, setting up life here with your husband still in the UK.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Roberrrt is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey what business did you start if you don't mind me asking?
Old Apr 11th 2015, 3:48 am
Just Joined

CCmisschips has much to be proud ofCCmisschips has much to be proud ofCCmisschips has much to be proud ofCCmisschips has much to be proud ofCCmisschips has much to be proud ofCCmisschips has much to be proud ofCCmisschips has much to be proud ofCCmisschips has much to be proud ofCCmisschips has much to be proud ofCCmisschips has much to be proud ofCCmisschips has much to be proud of

I'm from a little village called Reeth in North Yorkshire closest town is georgian town of Richmond. There are lots of sheep on the moors and great lead mining history and eccentric locals everywhere you go. I miss the Yorkshire way of things now I am in the middle of Ohio with a load of Buckeye crazy football fans!
Old Apr 11th 2015, 4:36 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Ha..i know Reeth well...my sixth form college owned a terrace of 3 (?) miners cottages knocked into one just along the valley on the hill above Low Row...I think it was actually at Blades? Many a happy weekend spent up there on either Geography Field a trips, or with the Venture Unit. We used to head along to the Black Bull in Reeth, although often got stuck at the Punch Bowl on the way.....lovely part of the country.

Welcome to the site!
Old Apr 11th 2015, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Ha..i know Reeth well...my sixth form college owned a terrace of 3 (?) miners cottages knocked into one just along the valley on the hill above Low Row...I think it was actually at Blades? Many a happy weekend spent up there on either Geography Field a trips, or with the Venture Unit. We used to head along to the Black Bull in Reeth, although often got stuck at the Punch Bowl on the way.....lovely part of the country.

Welcome to the site!
i know Reeth as well!!! oh miss the sheep and the moors!
Old Apr 13th 2015, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

Reeth; lovely place - was there last time I was home. It has bad memories for me though as a long time ago I did the Swaledale Marathon which started and ended in Reeth. I thought I was going to die up on them thar hills! Normal June weather, rain and fog
Old Apr 14th 2015, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by TopSec
Reeth; lovely place - was there last time I was home. It has bad memories for me though as a long time ago I did the Swaledale Marathon which started and ended in Reeth. I thought I was going to die up on them thar hills! Normal June weather, rain and fog
That's tough country for running! We used to do a lot of hiking round there, and those peat bogs could be a reet bugger!
Old Apr 14th 2015, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

TopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond reputeTopSec has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's enough to say I never did it again
Old Apr 18th 2015, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

As a Boy Scout from Darlington we used to camp every year in Langthwaite just up the road from Reeth, (it used to be in the opening credits for All Creatures Great and Small), we would hike all over those abandoned mines in the area, we even hiked overnight all the way to Tan Hill , with only Ordinance Survey maps and a Silva compass.
Good Times, thanks for reminding me of simpler days
Old Apr 25th 2015, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey! Reeth! Richmond! Darlo!!

I went to school in Richmond, hiked all over Reeth/Gunnerside and surroundings, dad lives in Darlington & we used to help run DoE field trips for local schools out Reeth (and Teesdale) way I wonder if the accomodation we used in Reeth was Yorkieabroad's miners' cottages?
Old Apr 25th 2015, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

We were supposed to be heading home this week and were planning on heading up to Yorkshire to watch the Tour de Yorkshire. Been delayed a couple of weeks so will miss it

The start of the Tour de France in Yorkshire was deemed to have been such a success (naturally ) that they are doing a repeat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.