Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Twin Cities (St.Paul/Minneapolis) Brits??

Twin Cities (St.Paul/Minneapolis) Brits??

Old May 2nd 2011, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

CandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really nice
Default Re: Twin Cities (St.Paul/Minneapolis) Brits??

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
Hi, I am seriously considering moving my family to the Twin Cities. My main office is in St Paul, but I currently work out of the Seattle office.
I chose Seattle over St Paul as the weather in MN terrified me. Not the winters, but the stories of hot, humid summers and mosquitoes!

Is it really that bad out here over summer ?

I've been out here in Feb and I've been over here this week too. It looks like a nice place to live. I'm currently staying with friends in Waconia and we've had fun with both ATVs and boats on the lake (not in the same season!).
What is really attractive though is the Real Estate prices. I could possibly buy a huge house here on acres of land for cash! Back in Seattle, we live 20m out on the Eastside and I can only afford a cardboard box on a postage stamp of land.

We like small town America and would love to live in a friendly community with good schools and facilities. Is Woodbury or somewhere else near St Paul going to give us that ?

I think there is plenty of "small town" America areas surrounding the cities - north or south, east or west. My husband's family are spread out above and below the cities. Both of which give them a wonderful quality of life. My In-Laws live in Lakeville, which is south of the cities and it is such a beautiful area. Its quite middle class, yet cute. All white picket fences and close communities. We invitied all the neighbours to our wedding, so you can tell how close the area is as a group.
And, lets be honest, in a state of over 13,000 lakes you're going to find properties surrounding or nearby water in which to enjoy!

I went last year at the end of July/Beginning of August. Not going to lie, the place is hot, but it isn't unbearable. We still managed to walk for hours, my father-in-law went bike riding with the incredibly shaggy dog mid-afternoon most days. Its a nice atmosphere, gorgeous place in the summer. The winter is hellish, but once again bearable. Its just a great place to be!

If you need any help, I'll ask the native Minnesotan what he thinks. Considering he's said all his life he cannot wait to leave...he's sure as hell chomping at the bit to get back there. Its gone from "lets just go back for a while and move again" to "...So, the cities would be ok to raise kids, right?"...
Old Jul 15th 2011, 9:45 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Just found this thread. I am in New Brighton, a suburb of St. Paul. Moved here at the end of April.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

saker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Moving to the Minnetonka/Hopkins area in December (packing my snow shoes). Spent alot of time in Minneapolis but not found a decent place for a curry yet.
Interested to discover how you guys made the transition.
Would be interested also in coming along on a meeting night.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

You should both check out:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mplsbrits?ap=1

We're actually meeting for a curry in Eden Prairie next Saturday (30th).
Old Jul 17th 2011, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Well thats just a couple of months early for me unfortunately.

Thanks for the speedy response, I look forward to meeting you guys in Nov/Dec (visa willing)

Would be interested in the name of that curry house in Eden Praire. If you guys go there then it must be approaching something like you'd get in the UK?
Old Jul 17th 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by saker
Well thats just a couple of months early for me unfortunately.

Thanks for the speedy response, I look forward to meeting you guys in Nov/Dec (visa willing)

Would be interested in the name of that curry house in Eden Praire. If you guys go there then it must be approaching something like you'd get in the UK?
It's called the India Palace. I've never been there before, but one of the other Brits goes there quite often I believe.
Downtown we have the Bombay Bistro, which is well tasty but the service has been awful when we've been there. There is also Dancing Ganesha, which is more 'posh' curry
Old Jul 17th 2011, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Been there. It's basic but ok too. If I remember right, it has an Indian Market/shop next door to it that sells every type of pickle, not just lime pickle.

Thanks for those other places. My American partner is a big curry fan too so we'll try them.

Enjoy the grub.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

No shop next to this one. Could you be thinking of India Spice which is also in EP? It's near an Applebees and the library.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:59 am
Just Joined

hmmm.. I not quite sure now. I suspect you are right. The shop worth a visit though as they sell just about every ingredient there.

Hope you are surviving the heat, its pretty extreme at the moment
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

We've had 78 minutes of summer so far in Seattle (i.e. where it was above 80F) and so it's making even a British summer look good so far.

I'm still not convinced we would cope with the extremes of temperature out there.

Anyway, all the best to my fellow countrymen out in MN!
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

hmmm.. I not quite sure now. I suspect you are right. The shop worth a visit though as they sell just about every ingredient there.

I may check it out one lunch hour then, thanks. It's been ages since we've done a good curry at home, but then I think we may have to wait until Autumn now.
We've survived the worst of the heat now I think. Earlier this week we were the most humid place [Jeremy Clarkson] in the world! [/Jeremy Clarkson]
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

brossow is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought I'd pop in and say hello in this thread. I'm not British, but my wife is. We live down in Mankato but find our way to the Cities once every couple of months for a concert, theatre, or meeting up with friends. Just asked to join the Yahoo group and am interested in making other British connections, particularly with anyone closer to our area.

Cheers,
Brent
Old Oct 4th 2011, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi Brent

I'm going to add one more to the brit-in-minneapolis count when I arrive in early November 2011. My fiance K1 visa still isn't through so I may as well wait for approval whilst in the US.

You mention your wife is british, where about in the UK?
Old Oct 4th 2011, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

brossow is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Brent

I'm going to add one more to the brit-in-minneapolis count when I arrive in early November 2011. My fiance K1 visa still isn't through so I may as well wait for approval whilst in the US.

You mention your wife is british, where about in the UK?
Born and raised in Eltham, London, until she was 18; she moved to Norwich and there she stayed until moving here permanently in May. We were married July 4, and no, the irony wasn't lost on either of us, me giving up my independence to a Brit on the 4th of July.

Good luck with the visa process!
Old Oct 4th 2011, 8:52 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to know we have a few of us here, maybe we should organize a get together at some point!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.