Nashville TN

Old Jul 24th 2015, 3:37 am
Just Joined

Skyedave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nashville TN

Anybody living in the Nashville area? we live Downtown and are always looking to meet up with new friends.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 2:25 am
Just Joined

industrystandard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nashville TN

We are thinking of moving there too. Currently been in Hoboken NJ for 7 yrs, London the previous 30 odd years !

How you finding Nashville? Heard some good and bad stories.........
Old Aug 13th 2015, 4:04 am
Just Joined

Im just back from Hoboken - several of my UK work colleagues live there.
Nashville is a vibrant city - with a big town feel! We live just of Broadway downtown so right in the middle of everything. Its called Music City for a reason - all sorts of music - not just country as a lot of people think. This last week we have had Elvis Costello, Marilyn Manson, Alice in Chains to name but a few. Its a typical Southern town, real friendly and everybody is very polite.Brilliant airport and close to the Smoky mountains.Cannot speak highly enough of this great city.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the feedback.

Hoboken is a great town and me and my wife love the fact we can get most things without driving out to a strip mall. Plus as I work in financial services so my commute into Manhattan is a piece of cake. There is a good community feel there with a wide variety of things to do, plus its pretty safe.

If we move to Nashville we would want to have elements of the above where we live, namely walkability and relative safety. It's just me and my wife so no kids, so we are looking at places like downtown/Gulch/South12/near the University as I would be working downtown so would prefer to cycle/walk into work.

So how long have you lived in NSH compared to the UK/rest of the US? How does it compare? Have you met any other expats? I've heard good and bad, the bad focusing on local people gauging you on what church you go to and that not having kids being a social stigma. We are not deeply religious and do not go to church, we have no kids and are relatively liberal so I've been told these attributes maybe an issue. I'm taking those comments with a hefty grain of salt, but interested to hear anyone's views on those subjects so I go in eyes open.

I too am heavily into music. I DJ as a hobby (child of the UK Rave generation!) and also into gigs. Saw Jamie XX when I was down here last at Marathon Music Works. I see Kraftwork are playing at the Ryman end of Sept too. The gig scene seems more accessible than NY, with tickets a bit easier to get hold of.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

We are not religious in any way - never found it to be an issue here - sure you are in the "Bible Belt" but each to their own here. Its a very diverse city with room for everyone as far as I can see.Meeting up with some ex pats at a Scottish day on the 12th here and then there is a Highland Games on September 23rd so will meet up with some more there.Been here since September last year, previously in UK all my life working in the Inter state travel sector.I cover everywhere east of the Mississippi in my role so se lots of USA life and had the choice of where to live through company. Nashville won every time as we had travelled the states extensively over the last ten years and always made time for a visit to Tennessee.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 12:58 am
Just Joined

OK- sounds good. I should be down with work in a few weeks. OK to ping you for a catch up? By then I should know a bit more regarding timeframe with work etc. I work right near the Fleet St pub which is quite ironic! Lol
Old Aug 14th 2015, 1:33 am
Just Joined

Sure if I'm in town I only stay 3 blocks away on the sobro side
Old Sep 1st 2015, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

SillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, only just registered on the forum, just picking my way through all the info at the moment.

I'll be moving to Nashville from the UK in November. Any good hints and tips would be much appreciated.
Hoping to have a decent contingent from the UK for the wedding and will want to show them the best bits. My fiance doesn't really drink so i'm a bit low on decent pub recommendations :/

Will be living less that 2 miles south of Downtown, fairly near the trendy 12th South bit which i've already explored a bit.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

You cannot go wrong in Downtown , 2nd Avenue or Broadway.The Gulch area hassome really good pubs as well.Its a cool place to live !
Old Sep 1st 2015, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

SillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond reputeSillySausage has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, yes i've been to the Gulch too, is there a mexican restaurant there? (yeah, i realise there is probably a mexican in most areas!)

Got taken to "The Pub" (is that it's name?) when i was there last because obviously i needed to feel at home. Suffice to say, nothing like an actual British pub.

Was pretty taken by the bushwhackers at Broadway Brewhouse. Couldn't have more than 2 though i don't think. That's midtown though, right? Despite its name <confusing>
Old Sep 1st 2015, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Broadway Brewhouse is Downtown.The Swinging Door Saloon on 4th and Broadway is a great pub and a little less crowded than anything on Broadway.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

I'm in Nashville next week if anyone fancies meeting up . Arrive Tuesday and being shown around by a realtor for possible areas to live. Staying at Hotel Indigo until Friday 11th.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately i am in Cleveland and Cincinnati until Friday
Old Oct 14th 2015, 1:33 am
Just Joined

So we are going to go for it and move . Been checking out some neighborhoods and were going to move to Germantown , but seems like crime is going through the roof there. People being held up at gunpoint at 3pm in the afternoon, sex attatcks, break ins. There does seem to be a long of violent crime in Nashville we are a bit concerned about .

Does anyone know about Germantown? Am I right or is the media blowing it out of proportion? Another option is Terra House up on Rolling Mill Hill but that too seems to have a "sex attack " alley just a few blocks away according to Crime Mapping

Not sure how much actual gentrification has occurred
Old Oct 14th 2015, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Rolling Mill Hill is a decent area as is Germantown.Like any city, there are less than salubrious areas. But to be honest an hours drive round a neighbourhood will give you a far better idea than a crime site on the web.