Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Meet-up in Denver

Meet-up in Denver

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:32 pm
  #16  
 
anabella's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Aspen, CO
Posts: 9,845
anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meet-up in Denver

Originally Posted by Leyther
Although I visited Denver back in May of this year for a couple of months, I to am relatively new to the area, having moved to the Capitol Hill area just before Christmas.

As far as Brits go, I often run into a few of us down at Nallen's on 14th & Market, besides there, there doesn't seem to be many about around here but then again I haven't ventured very far since I have been here.

Ah well, I just thought I would post here and say "hello" to you all, hope you're all having a good day and managing to avoid the cold as best you can.
Hello and welcome
anabella is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:57 pm
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
StarlaLorien's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 127
StarlaLorien has a brilliant futureStarlaLorien has a brilliant futureStarlaLorien has a brilliant futureStarlaLorien has a brilliant futureStarlaLorien has a brilliant futureStarlaLorien has a brilliant future
Default Re: Meet-up in Denver

Boiler and Tarkak9...you have me intruiged about the previous Boulder meet ups....

so, do the Denver ones still happen? I'm with anabella and up for reviving the group....

this doesn't really matter, especially if the group activity is something as universal as drinking,but how old is everyone? (I'm 23 my my expat hubby is 26).
StarlaLorien is offline  
Old Feb 11th 2008, 12:53 pm
  #18  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1
andrewduncan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meet-up in Denver

I'm up for a Denver meetup also.

I've been in Denver for about 4 years, but in the us for about 12. I look forward to meeting you all.

Last edited by andrewduncan; Feb 11th 2008 at 12:57 pm.
andrewduncan is offline  
Old May 25th 2008, 9:40 am
  #19  
Whatacomplete Member
 
koogar's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Posts: 2,527
koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meet-up in Denver

I take it the meet-up never happened then?
koogar is offline  
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:21 am
  #20  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Cedar Springs, Drake, Colorado
Posts: 6
paddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nicepaddy_cooper is just really nice
Default Re: Meet-up in Denver

Originally Posted by Ugly Duckling
I have been over here two years and would like to meet with any British Expats in the Denver area.
hi about 100 miles north of denver near estes park
paddy_cooper is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2008, 1:29 pm
  #21  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 6
Laphroaig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meet-up in Denver

I was just wondering if anyone had tried Scotch Corner in Boulder? More importantly do they have a good selection of single malts??

Cheers


Dave
Laphroaig is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2008, 5:38 am
  #22  
Forum Regular
 
Leyther's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 293
Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of
Default Re: Meet-up in Denver

Originally Posted by Laphroaig
I was just wondering if anyone had tried Scotch Corner in Boulder? More importantly do they have a good selection of single malts??

Cheers


Dave
Don't really venture into Boulder too often and thus never tried Scotch Corner but in Denver, Pints Pub on 13th, between Cherokee and Bannock do have a huge selection of single malts but not being much of a whiskey drinker, I don't know if it is a 'good' selection.

You can view their extensive single malt selection online:
http://www.pintspub.com/WhiskyList.pdf
Leyther is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2008, 6:11 am
  #23  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 6
Laphroaig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meet-up in Denver

Originally Posted by Leyther
Don't really venture into Boulder too often and thus never tried Scotch Corner but in Denver, Pints Pub on 13th, between Cherokee and Bannock do have a huge selection of single malts but not being much of a whiskey drinker, I don't know if it is a 'good' selection.

You can view their extensive single malt selection online:
http://www.pintspub.com/WhiskyList.pdf
Thanks for that. I've only been in Denver since Feb 08 so still finding my way around. Shame all the meet-ups have died off. Maybe they could be resurrected at Scotch Corner in Boulder, would seem to be a fitting place to meet. Just a thought.

Dave
Laphroaig is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:05 am
  #24  
Forum Regular
 
Leyther's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 293
Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of
Default Re: Meet-up in Denver

Originally Posted by Laphroaig
Thanks for that. I've only been in Denver since Feb 08 so still finding my way around. Shame all the meet-ups have died off. Maybe they could be resurrected at Scotch Corner in Boulder, would seem to be a fitting place to meet. Just a thought.

Dave
Welcome to Denver. I haven't been here very long myself, only since the back end of December and to be quite honest, Denver it a relatively easy city to find your way around. Broadway, Speer and Colfax will get you to most places, along with the I-25.

Where about in Denver are you?
Leyther is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2008, 2:14 pm
  #25  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 6
Laphroaig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meet-up in Denver

Originally Posted by Leyther
Welcome to Denver. I haven't been here very long myself, only since the back end of December and to be quite honest, Denver it a relatively easy city to find your way around. Broadway, Speer and Colfax will get you to most places, along with the I-25.

Where about in Denver are you?
I'm actually in Glendale. Where are you? Where did you live in the UK before coming to the US?
Laphroaig is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2008, 2:44 pm
  #26  
Forum Regular
 
Leyther's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 293
Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of
Default Re: Meet-up in Denver

Originally Posted by Laphroaig
I'm actually in Glendale. Where are you? Where did you live in the UK before coming to the US?
I'm in the Capital Hill area of Denver on 11th & Sherman (Poet's Row) and I moved from Leigh, which is a relatively small town in the north west, about 15minutes outside of Manchester, near Bolton and Wigan. How about yourself?
Leyther is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2008, 2:49 pm
  #27  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 6
Laphroaig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meet-up in Denver

Originally Posted by Leyther
I'm in the Capital Hill area of Denver on 11th & Sherman (Poet's Row) and I moved from Leigh, which is a relatively small town in the north west, about 15minutes outside of Manchester, near Bolton and Wigan. How about yourself?
Im actually from Glasgow in Scotland. Capital Hill would seem to be a pricey place to live. The wife and i are currently looking for a new house as we're renting at the moment. We hope to get something by Oct or Nov. So did you move here for work or did you immigrate?
Laphroaig is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:11 pm
  #28  
Forum Regular
 
Leyther's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 293
Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of
Default Re: Meet-up in Denver

Originally Posted by Laphroaig
Im actually from Glasgow in Scotland. Capital Hill would seem to be a pricey place to live. The wife and i are currently looking for a new house as we're renting at the moment. We hope to get something by Oct or Nov. So did you move here for work or did you immigrate?
The principle reason I'm in Denver is to study (I'm on an F1 visa), although the K1 route was also an option but we didn't want a rushed 90 day wedding and so this was the next best scenario for us since we can now both plan accordingly and do things just how we wanted them.

Capital Hill is certainly a pricey place to live and not an area which I would recommend for those hoping to settle down and start a family. Places in Denver which I would look at though, if you hadn't already, would be Park Hill, University and Congress Park. Cheeseman Park and Bonnie Brae are very nice areas, although they are a bit on the expensive side. City Park is also a very nice neighborhood, but not sure about the cost of the houses there.

Twenty minutes outside of Denver, there is Littleton, which is a nice, quiet suburb which I also like, but it is further south than Glendale and probably not what you are looking for if you want to live in or closer to the city.

Last edited by Leyther; Jun 30th 2008 at 3:15 pm.
Leyther is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:34 pm
  #29  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Denver, Co
Posts: 6
Laphroaig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meet-up in Denver

Originally Posted by Leyther
The principle reason I'm in Denver is to study (I'm on an F1 visa), although the K1 route was also an option but we didn't want a rushed 90 day wedding and so this was the next best scenario for us since we can now both plan accordingly and do things just how we wanted them.

Capital Hill is certainly a pricey place to live and not an area which I would recommend for those hoping to settle down and start a family. Places in Denver which I would look at though, if you hadn't already, would be Park Hill, University and Congress Park. Cheeseman Park and Bonnie Brae are very nice areas, although they are a bit on the expensive side. City Park is also a very nice neighborhood, but not sure about the cost of the houses there.

Twenty minutes outside of Denver, there is Littleton, which is a nice, quiet suburb which I also like, but it is further south than Glendale and probably not what you are looking for if you want to live in or closer to the city.
Thanks for the info; we actually have had a look in some of those places, we've seen some nice houses but nothing has quite stuck yet. I'm actually studying at the moment also, i go to Lincoln College of Technology and am studying Automotive, Diesel and Truck Technology; a complete change for me after sitting at a desk in Glasgow for the last 11 years. Decided to have a complete career change. I'm actually fully immigrated here now. Not the most fun process i've ever been through; pricey too. I ended up flying back and forth from Denver to Glasgow to London.....etc for a while. Glad it's all over and done with now. My names David btw.
Laphroaig is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:55 pm
  #30  
Forum Regular
 
Leyther's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 293
Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of
Default Re: Meet-up in Denver

Originally Posted by Laphroaig
Thanks for the info; we actually have had a look in some of those places, we've seen some nice houses but nothing has quite stuck yet. I'm actually studying at the moment also, i go to Lincoln College of Technology and am studying Automotive, Diesel and Truck Technology; a complete change for me after sitting at a desk in Glasgow for the last 11 years. Decided to have a complete career change. I'm actually fully immigrated here now. Not the most fun process i've ever been through; pricey too. I ended up flying back and forth from Denver to Glasgow to London.....etc for a while. Glad it's all over and done with now. My names David btw.
My names Chris.

I'm with you on the flights; Manchester to Chicago and then onto Denver soon takes it toll and with the price of flights steadily increasing it certainly puts a strain on the wallet and so on my last trip here I brought everything which I needed to apply to university and then did so. I'm currently finishing off the final the couple of years of my bachelor's degrees and then hoping to attend DU's law school sometime in the future; I'm thinking the flights back and forth may have been cheaper

How long have you got left before you complete your studies and how are you finding the whole school aspect of it here? It certainly sounds like a huge change from being stuck behind a desk all day.

As for the immigration process, having read a lot of things on here and conducted research of my own, I am anxious to get the ball rolling but not looking forward to the headaches which are sure to follow. My partner and I really like the Cheeseman and City Park areas, along with Park Hill, but at the same time we really like our apartment on Capital Hill but we don't want to rent much long either.
Leyther is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.