Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles meet up

Los Angeles meet up

Old Jan 10th 2013, 1:28 am
Just Joined

hpjagged is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Los Angeles meet up

HotScot...... I'm in Rosamond, this place is the worst I've ever been!!! I've been here for over a year and I can not wait to leave. Husband is US military so works on the base, that darn marriage ring, I had to come here

Is your wife a Brit? We have two young kids, 9 months and 3 years. There is absolutely nothing to do this valley!!!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Sorry but I really think you ought to be seeing it for yourself! I mean, people can offer to have a look for you, but there might be some reason why you don't like what they consider to be fine. Not just the property but stuff like traffic, local amenities/shopping/restaurants. Certainly never sign a rental agreement sight unseen.

$500 for one of you to fly here for a scout around could save you more than that by moving to the right place the first time around. If you post something in the main USA forum there are several LA people who can help with general areas and commutes.
You are not going to get a flight for $500 in this remaining lifetime. $800-$900 if you are very lucky. If you do know of flights can you tell me where you can get them for $500 as my brother is coming out soon and he would appreciate a flight at those prices.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

MarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really niceMarkCowan is just really nice

Originally Posted by markwm
I would just turn up at one of the many British pubs or join the BritsInLA facebook group (though they are mostly luvvies). I joined the LA Spurs (being that I am a Spurs fan) and have met some people - attend matches at various pubs throughout the season. There are also groups for other football teams.

You are quite a way out - I live and work in the city - you are about 90+ miles away - nice part of the world, though.
If you go to this site advised above you will find all that you need for apartment hunting in LA and you will be helped with viewing etc.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkCowan
You are not going to get a flight for $500 in this remaining lifetime. $800-$900 if you are very lucky. If you do know of flights can you tell me where you can get them for $500 as my brother is coming out soon and he would appreciate a flight at those prices.
Even less...like $330RT
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...4B9F141CB25789

You apparently didn't read the post to which he was replying!

Edit: Above United Airlines link isn't working; perhaps, try this:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...05B74492512A20

Last edited by MMcD; Jan 10th 2013 at 4:41 pm. Reason: link not working
Old Jan 10th 2013, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MMcD
Even less...like $330RT
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...4B9F141CB25789

You apparently didn't read the post to which he was replying!

Edit: Above United Airlines link isn't working; perhaps, try this:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...05B74492512A20
Yes my bad, I saw it as UK to here, never read it properly. Sorry and thanks for the heads up. I was actually getting excited that my brother could get a flight for $500 and someone knew where to get it!!!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkCowan
Yes my bad, I saw it as UK to here, never read it properly. Sorry and thanks for the heads up. I was actually getting excited that my brother could get a flight for $500 and someone knew where to get it!!!
Yeah, the poster mentioned Ohio. Last September I didn't have to look hard to find Delta flights from LA to Chicago for about $400.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 2:30 am
Is Female

gnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GeoffM
So I've been here exactly 8 weeks, and the wife and kids a couple of weeks, so maybe it's time to meet some Brits. Though having said that, one did sell me a printer in Staples a couple of days ago.

I've no idea how these things go - do people just meet up in a bar or something? We have kids in tow so if somebody knows a kid-friendly place I'm all ears! I guess somewhere within several miles of downtown LA to make it central. After all, everybody's got cars, right?!
Hey! I am def for a meet up, trying to organise getting people together for st patrick's day to a pub somewhere. Anyone interested?

there is a british pub in Van Nuys area, or there a couple downtown too.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I've just moved to Walnut so am a bit closer to downtown. Van Nuys is only an hour away too.