Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Houston working women

Houston working women

Old Jun 23rd 2012, 3:20 am
Just Joined

aajamie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Houston working women

I've just moved to Houston from Edinburgh to work in O&G. I've been fortunate to meet a few ex-pat ladies from Uk/Aus who were lovely, however they are all "trailing spouses" and mainly talk about their kids/school issues/latest kitchen blender. They invited me to events which was very kind, but they are always during working hours! I am really keen to find other working women in H-town from UK who want to meet after work hours for wine/chat/exercise/shopping. All the things the non-working ladies do too, just at a different time!

I'm mid 30s, no kids, no spouse. Like to work hard and play hard! Loving the move (been here 2 months), just would like to build a network of gal pals like I had back in Scotland.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

newtohouston is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Houston working women

Hey! I just moved to Houston from Surrey about 2 weeks ago...although I do have a partner here, he's Texan and I am not a trailling spouse...I came here alone and have no kids or british connections...would be great to meet up if you are interested! I am definitely in the search for some gal pals around here too!

Natalie
Old Jul 5th 2012, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newtohouston
Hey! I just moved to Houston from Surrey about 2 weeks ago...although I do have a partner here, he's Texan and I am not a trailling spouse...I came here alone and have no kids or british connections...would be great to meet up if you are interested! I am definitely in the search for some gal pals around here too!

Natalie
That would be great! I'm trying to work out how to privately message you without putting my gmail address here for all to see?
Old Jul 5th 2012, 5:38 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aajamie
That would be great! I'm trying to work out how to privately message you without putting my gmail address here for all to see?
You need to do a certain number of posts (think 3) before you can PM. One more and you should be able to
Old Jul 5th 2012, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just moved to Houston from Edinburgh to work in O&G. I've been fortunate to meet a few ex-pat ladies from Uk/Aus who were lovely, however they are all "trailing spouses" and mainly talk about their kids/school issues/latest kitchen blender. They invited me to events which was very kind, but they are always during working hours! I am really keen to find other working women in H-town from UK who want to meet after work hours for wine/chat/exercise/shopping. All the things the non-working ladies do too, just at a different time!

I'm mid 30s, no kids, no spouse. Like to work hard and play hard! Loving the move (been here 2 months), just would like to build a network of gal pals like I had back in Scotland.
Wow, with those remarks about "trailing spouses" I can't understand why your single ;-)
Must go, I need to fire up my blender and make dinner...it's the only thing I'm capable of thinking about right now!
Old Jul 5th 2012, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Wow, with those remarks about "trailing spouses" I can't understand why your single ;-)
Must go, I need to fire up my blender and make dinner...it's the only thing I'm capable of thinking about right now!
I get where she's coming from though. Some of the conversations can be pure Stepford.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I get where she's coming from though. Some of the conversations can be pure Stepford.
Just don't want us all tarred with the same brush...a pet peeve of mine.
A group of ex pat ladies that I meet up with are here as trailing spouses because their OH's are on short term contracts. Out of about 15 of us, 3 have small children, at least 5 of us run our own businesses. The rest of the ladies have given up or put on hold very good careers to travel half way around the world to support their OH's.
We never talk about the latest blender and because of our situation have supported each other in ways that no local ladies can understand.
And besides all that, the OP should ask herself what she can do to help the trailing spouses and their busy lives rather than the other way around.
I suggest that the OP keeps her trailing spouse friends close to her...you never know when you might need a friendly shoulder to cry on.....getting off soap box now
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

A group of ex pat ladies that I meet up with are here as trailing spouses because their OH's are on short term contracts. Out of about 15 of us, 3 have small children, at least 5 of us run our own businesses. The rest of the ladies have given up or put on hold very good careers to travel half way around the world to support their OH's.
We never talk about the latest blender and because of our situation have supported each other in ways that no local ladies can understand.
And besides all that, the OP should ask herself what she can do to help the trailing spouses and their busy lives rather than the other way around.
I suggest that the OP keeps her trailing spouse friends close to her...you never know when you might need a friendly shoulder to cry on.....getting off soap box now
Lisa, if you re read my post you might notice I said they were lovely and kind, but the main issue was that they weren't free in the evenings to meet.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lisa, if you re read my post you might notice I said they were lovely and kind, but the main issue was that they weren't free in the evenings to meet.
I did re read your post before I sted my first response. I never questioned whether you thought the ladies were kind I just took umbridge to the part about them only talking about school, kids and the latest kitchen blender....I'm sure you wouldn't say that to their faces if asked..... I'm also sure, like the trailing spouse friends I have that they'd only be too pleased to be taken on a girls night out around the local bars
Old Jul 5th 2012, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I do understand what you're saying - I love to meet up with the expat wives - however the timings would be difficult for working women and there is a heavy emphasis on kids/kitchen equipment in our group.
Good luck aajamie.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes I do understand what you're saying - I love to meet up with the expat wives - however the timings would be difficult for working women and there is a heavy emphasis on kids/kitchen equipment in our group.

Good luck aajamie.
Sorry to hear that SR, I feel lucky then to meet with a group, who I can honestly say have never mentioned any kitchen equipment
We also go out in the evenings drinking...a lot...y'all should move further north!

OP, you might want to take a look at www.meet-up.com.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not trailing, I don't do blenders, I work but I don't do exercise/shopping or much wine but I do like to chat

...but I'm too far out of Houston and too old and tired at the end of the day to drive in but good luck to the OP anyway!