Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Houston tomorrow?

Houston tomorrow?

Old Jul 22nd 2015, 4:39 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Houston tomorrow?

I have to drive to IAH tomorrow afternoon. Coincidentally, the french consulate FB page shared the name of an "authentic" french boulangerie/patisserie in Houston. Anyone fancy meeting up for a coffee and something yummy to eat early afternoon?

Authentic Parisian bakery debuts in Houston - Houston Chronicle

pm me if available.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Houston tomorrow?

I'll be working, sorry.

That location (the Galleria) also wouldn't be good for me, and I suspect most of the other locals. But then, it's probably not a good location for you either, if you're going from Austin to IAH and back.

Last edited by Owen778; Jul 22nd 2015 at 5:29 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 5:29 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
I'll be working, sorry.

That location (the Galleria) also wouldn't be good for me, and I suspect most of the other locals. But then, it's not a good location for you either, if you're going from Austin to IAH and back.
Actually, the patisserie sounds great! I'd go out of my way just to assuage my craving for real french baguettes and cakes...
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Actually, the patisserie sounds great! I'd go out of my way just to assuage my craving for real french baguettes and cakes...
Fair enough, I love baking too much too! Luckily for me, my wife makes really good bread, when she gets time, and delicious caramel shortbread.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 12:30 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm out of town, but I think there are at least a couple of Galleria area workers around.

That place looks good, and I applaud them for trying to fill the gap they identified on authentic overseas cuisine. When is anyone going to do the same for decent fish and chips? For me, the worrying sentence in that report was "the recipes have been tweaked and tested by famed Houston chef..." which could be shorthand for "add more cheese, double the portion size and add more cheese"
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I'm out of town, but I think there are at least a couple of Galleria area workers around.

That place looks good, and I applaud them for trying to fill the gap they identified on authentic overseas cuisine. When is anyone going to do the same for decent fish and chips? For me, the worrying sentence in that report was "the recipes have been tweaked and tested by famed Houston chef..." which could be shorthand for "add more cheese, double the portion size and add more cheese"

We went to Marvino's last night, which is a new Italian restaurant near 290 and Barker Cypress, from the same group as the four Alicia's tex-mex restaurants, which are pretty good.

I ordered a Margherita pizza, and the menu promised "Pizza Napolitano - Thin Roman-style crust", and they had a large pizza oven. It was like genuine Italian thin-crust pizza, except modified in exactly the way you describe, plus more oily, which I would argue is also part of Houston's signature cuisine. It was long and rectangular and had tomato and blobs of mozzarella floating in a thick coating of American pizza cheese. The lamb my wife ordered was good, though, and their beer range is excellent, so we'll probably just go back and avoid pizza.

So far, the only decent pizza I've found is Pizaro's, in a strip mall at Memorial and Kirkwood. I imagine there are one or two good places nearer downtown and the Galleria though.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 3:20 am
Austin. TX.

Well, I didn't manage to get to Houston in time to go to the french patisserie :-(

However, I ended up with 2 very tired and very hungry teenagers who had been starved on their flight by all accounts, so I took them to Marvino's and let the awful rush hour die down. It was nice, it was quick and tasty. The pizza ordered by teenage boy was ok not my cup of tea but my pasta (duck ravioli) was yummy.
Old Jul 24th 2015, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, I didn't manage to get to Houston in time to go to the french patisserie :-(

However, I ended up with 2 very tired and very hungry teenagers who had been starved on their flight by all accounts, so I took them to Marvino's and let the awful rush hour die down. It was nice, it was quick and tasty. The pizza ordered by teenage boy was ok not my cup of tea but my pasta (duck ravioli) was yummy.
Yes, I'm sorry about 290. It's unpleasant from the inner loop out to the Barker Cypress exit (where you probably came off) every afternoon.

Next time maybe try Alicia's, if you like Tex-Mex, at 290 and Cypress Rosehill.
Old Jul 25th 2015, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to drive to IAH tomorrow afternoon. Coincidentally, the french consulate FB page shared the name of an "authentic" french boulangerie/patisserie in Houston. Anyone fancy meeting up for a coffee and something yummy to eat early afternoon?

Authentic Parisian bakery debuts in Houston - Houston Chronicle

pm me if available.
You do realise that Houston meet ups are a myth. They get planned but then they don't happen
Old Jul 30th 2015, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond reputeBomjeito has a reputation beyond repute

For those on Facebook British Expats in Houston - we manage meet ups every so often! Last for an Indian a few weeks back.

Also - one of the better fish and chips we've had was at McCormick and Schmick's in Galleria. Yes, we should order steak at a M&S but for a lark, ordered the fish and chips and it was fabulous!