British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Meet-ups (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/)
-   -   Brits in New Jersey??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/brits-new-jersey-810871/)

NJLisa Oct 1st 2013 9:44 am

Brits in New Jersey???

Hi there,

My fiancée is currently applying for a K1 and K2 visa for my daughter And providing everything goes smoothly we hope to relocate some time during the middle of 2014.

We will be living in New Jersey and was wondering if there are any Brits living in the central Jersey area?

AilsWallace Oct 19th 2013 3:33 pm

Re: Brits in New Jersey???

We moved to Northern New Jersey in August. There seems to be a focus of ex pats in and around Jersey City and Hoboken which is understandable as a lot of them probably work there or in NYC. Not so many out here in Passaic County but don't let that put you off.
We are about a half hour train journey from Hoboken and about 45 mins total from NYC so we can have the best of both worlds: the stuff on over in NYC and the slightly more "rural" areas of New Jersey.
Yet to come across a UK accent out here but that's fine. You just get used to lots of comments from everyone about your own accent

NewJerseyGirl Oct 23rd 2013 3:21 pm

HI! I've lived in Maplewood NJ (Essex County) for 10 years - there are plenty of Brits here. Also lots of well-travelled Americans.PM me for info!

jupiteruk Oct 31st 2013 1:32 am

Hi there,
I'm originally from Manchester and live in lower bucks county PA which is around 15 minutes from central Jersey.

denzil75 Nov 2nd 2013 9:49 pm

I'm in Florham Park, classed as Northern Jersey and there are plenty of expats around here. I even heard a fellow Brit at my acupuncture session the other day :D

AilsWallace Nov 2nd 2013 9:54 pm

Must just be my wee part of NJ ;)

denzil75 Nov 3rd 2013 12:45 am

Originally Posted by AilsWallace (Post 10974081)
Must just be my wee part of NJ ;)

Yep, we are all around the Morris/Essex/Union counties :D

AilsWallace Nov 3rd 2013 1:07 am

So what have I missed that is so wrong about clifton? :-)

HartleyHare Nov 3rd 2013 2:51 am

Originally Posted by AilsWallace (Post 10974263)
So what have I missed that is so wrong about clifton? :-)

Do you need decent schools? You may find that the Brits are congregating in areas with good school systems. I know if I didn't need schools I'd be in either JC or Hoboken! :)

denzil75 Nov 3rd 2013 11:00 am

Originally Posted by HartleyHare (Post 10974338)
Do you need decent schools? You may find that the Brits are congregating in areas with good school systems. I know if I didn't need schools I'd be in either JC or Hoboken! :)

Yes, we needed schools and when we first got here needed to be close to the Novartis site at East Hanover. Husband is now in the city.

HartleyHare Nov 3rd 2013 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by denzil75 (Post 10974227)
Yep, we are all around the Morris/Essex/Union counties :D

We're in Bergen County! The trees are looking fabulous up here - lots of beautiful colours.

denzil75 Nov 4th 2013 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by HartleyHare (Post 10974769)
We're in Bergen County! The trees are looking fabulous up here - lots of beautiful colours.

The trees have shed here and have messed up my lawn :(

HartleyHare Nov 4th 2013 9:33 pm

Ours is messed up too - luckily that's the landlord's job, along with clearing the snow from the sidewalk!

AilsWallace Nov 4th 2013 9:39 pm

No need for school, phew! We didn't fancy being as close as Jersey City or Hoboken and out here we get the best of both. City life is 30 mins away on the train and the trees and walks and parks of northern NJ are practically on our doorstep. It's not too shabby...especially as we don't need to sweep up the pretty leaves ourselves :)

AilsWallace Nov 4th 2013 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by HartleyHare (Post 10974769)

Like Bergen :-) pretty!