Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Brits in New Jersey???

Brits in New Jersey???

Old May 22nd 2014, 8:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits in New Jersey???

Originally Posted by denzil75
They refurbed the Madison store, the shelves were still getting reorganized when I went last. Hopefully on my next visit the shelves will be full. If only I could get him to stock Revels .....
If you see Gary around the store ask him.
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Suz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond repute

How about sometime mid-June? We could do the Thirsty Turtle in FP.
Fine by me, I used to go there regularly when we lived in Florham Park so know it well!
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:15 am
Just Joined

EspressoMartini is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there! I'm a Londoner who moved to Essex county (leaving all my friends and family back in the UK - sob!) a couple of weeks ago. I'd love to have a bevvy with some fellow Brits

Has anyone else noticed how Americans' eyes light up in surprise and their tempo slows down when they ask a question and you respond? Even if it's simply, "what can I get you?", "I'll have an Espresso Martini, please" or "cash or credit?", "$40 regular, cash, please". It's starting to get quite hilarious!
Old May 24th 2014, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you see Gary around the store ask him.
Went in on Friday and happy to report stock levels were back to normal
Old May 29th 2014, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Kylidevil is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all!

Back from my few days in Madison, had the opportunity to watch the Memorial Day parade in the glorious sunshine, wandered around the town and checked out Gary's, Whole Foods and the Stop & Shop. The main purpose for my visit was looking at the schools though and I'm glad I did! They are just sooo different to here, I'm not sure they would do well in an OFSTED inspection :-/ However it has prepared me for what to expect and I can definitely see the pros in access to music and language.

Just a waiting game now for the visa and then working my notice period (3 months) before we head out :-)
Old May 29th 2014, 10:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kylidevil
Hi all!

Back from my few days in Madison, had the opportunity to watch the Memorial Day parade in the glorious sunshine, wandered around the town and checked out Gary's, Whole Foods and the Stop & Shop. The main purpose for my visit was looking at the schools though and I'm glad I did! They are just sooo different to here, I'm not sure they would do well in an OFSTED inspection :-/ However it has prepared me for what to expect and I can definitely see the pros in access to music and language.

Just a waiting game now for the visa and then working my notice period (3 months) before we head out :-)
If you are interested in private schools...my daughter went to The Peck School in Morristown...then Pingry in Martinsville for high school. Both excellent schools.
Old May 29th 2014, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by EspressoMartini
Hi there! I'm a Londoner who moved to Essex county (leaving all my friends and family back in the UK - sob!) a couple of weeks ago. I'd love to have a bevvy with some fellow Brits

Has anyone else noticed how Americans' eyes light up in surprise and their tempo slows down when they ask a question and you respond? Even if it's simply, "what can I get you?", "I'll have an Espresso Martini, please" or "cash or credit?", "$40 regular, cash, please". It's starting to get quite hilarious!
How about we try for a date first half of June? Any particular night that people would prefer? I can usually do any night but I know hubby is away June 10th and 11th.

We'll be able to shock everyone will all our accents when we go out
Old May 29th 2014, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kylidevil
Hi all!

Interesting as the Madison schools are meant to be some of the best in our area, especially the High School. Have to say as my two are getting older (10 & 11) I'm starting to doubt the American Education system. I know there are troubles with the education back home but it still seems more balanced and less pressure on the kids. So much so that we are actually considering moving back next year so the kids can go to high school in the UK. It's going to be tough getting them into a school as most are over subscribed but we have found one that seems to be okay. How old are your children?
Old May 30th 2014, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you are interested in private schools...my daughter went to The Peck School in Morristown...then Pingry in Martinsville for high school. Both excellent schools.
There is no way we can afford private education. I am learning to accept compromise!
Old May 30th 2014, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

Interesting as the Madison schools are meant to be some of the best in our area, especially the High School. Have to say as my two are getting older (10 & 11) I'm starting to doubt the American Education system. I know there are troubles with the education back home but it still seems more balanced and less pressure on the kids. So much so that we are actually considering moving back next year so the kids can go to high school in the UK. It's going to be tough getting them into a school as most are over subscribed but we have found one that seems to be okay. How old are your children?
I am sure that they are good for America. I haven't seen any others and so I couldn't compare. The issue is that I work in school improvement with a focus on vulnerable learners and so I know the good / bad things to look for here at home. Will just have to close my eyes!

My kids are 8 and 10, both September birthdays so they will go from being the oldest in their year here to the youngest there. Luckily they are both in mixed year group classes and so are familiar with working with pupils almost a year older.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:52 pm
IRJ
Forum Regular

IRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really nice

I just moved away from Madison NJ after 30 years living there and Chatham. Both the schools systems in Chatham and Madison are highly regarded and there are many excellent, if expensive, private schools as well. Madison provides a good education with a wide range of alternative and AP classes. The school has a very high rate of entrance to College as well. My son graduated through Newark academy and my daughter also went there but she insisted on doing High School at Madison.
No school is perfect, in the UK or USA, but the education provided in Madison and the range of classes and alternative subjects is very good indeed.
When you read about "inadequacies" of the US educational system you should understand that the USA is a huge country. The good schools are very good and the poor schools tend to be in areas one would rather not live and this tips the averages. For instance we just moved to the Charlotte area (technically South Carolina). I have been very pleasantly shocked at the standard of the schools in this area and they keep build completely new schools. Most outsiders would think that this area has "poor" schools, but the authorities around this area have made a huge effort and it certainly is paying off.
nusub:
Another well priced supermarket (if not quite as nice looking) is Shoprite (think good prices).
For wines/spirits go to: The Wine Library" in Milburn (Better prices and wider range than even Gary's)
Make sure you eat at the diner in Madison: The Nautilus.... Great experience. terrific food and great place to watch those parades.
Madison is a great place to live though those pesky property taxes keep climbing. And it's so close to the countryside for long walks and bike rides etc.

Last edited by IRJ; Jun 11th 2014 at 3:55 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Update: Visas have arrived, 3 months notice given at work. Looking forwards to meeting up with you all later in the year for more excellent advice. Thank you.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

sam kid is an unknown quantity at this point

I just joined this site , and live in Matawan, NJ for 17 years, like watching the spurs on NBC for free.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Ledge4536 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, recently moved to jersey city. Formerly from Birmingham UK so if there's any villa fans who like golf get in touch lol.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Ledge4536 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, just moved to jersey city from Birmingham UK. Seems like a nice place but always nice to meet new people. Anyone around the paulis hook area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.