Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Brits in Miami / South Florida

Brits in Miami / South Florida

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:23 am
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Brits in Miami / South Florida

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Miami is a great city in many respects and is unique in the US, but it is not for me. I have zero chance of making friends here. At least up north, I could gel with the more blue collar type people.
Well there are plenty of blue collar types in Miami, but they are latino of course - totally different culture for a gringo. I did a lot of work around MIA in the 90's. Lots of aviation MRO and training there. I developed a sort of horrified fascination with Miami. I am convinced 50% of the economy there is black or grey but for that reason it will survive no matter what happens to the rest of the USA.
Anyhow, I plan to retire to the UK in the next 10 years and I notice you intend to move back in that time too. Maybe we should discuss strategy some time.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:45 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

OMG!
Associating with blue-collar Latinos
Flying light aircraft
Taking early retirement
You must be a 100% genuine drug dealer! And now you want the OP to cook your books (gasp)
I'll be your Michelle Pfeiffer to your Al Pacino, if you give me a cut!
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 3:17 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysideup
Well there are plenty of blue collar types in Miami, but they are latino of course - totally different culture for a gringo. I did a lot of work around MIA in the 90's. Lots of aviation MRO and training there. I developed a sort of horrified fascination with Miami. I am convinced 50% of the economy there is black or grey but for that reason it will survive no matter what happens to the rest of the USA.
Anyhow, I plan to retire to the UK in the next 10 years and I notice you intend to move back in that time too. Maybe we should discuss strategy some time.
PM me
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 11:23 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JRG67
OMG!
You must be a 100% genuine drug dealer!
Of course. How do you think I can afford to send my kids to the U?

And a small correction - look at the MRO facilities at MIA and it's all South American heavy stuff. It' not worth shipping the drugs in light aircraft - the profits are much better in a 767