British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Meet-ups (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/)
-   -   Brits on Long Island NY? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/brits-long-island-ny-949321/)

KarinaL Sep 19th 2023 1:44 am

Brits on Long Island NY?

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are looking forward to meeting fellow Brits here on Long Island! I’m new here, on and off two years. I’m from South West U.K., based now in Northport. Would love to meet Brits expats,it’s not easy making friends with locals, all too busy and very much to themselves.
Karina

johndel1 Sep 25th 2023 2:46 pm

Re: Brits on Long Island NY?

Hi there, welcome to LI, I’m originally from London, I’ve been living here in Suffolk county for 9 years now, there are a few I’ve met over the years, but you’ll probably meet more Irish here too be honest. But I know some really good places to find British food, if your ever longing for a British style Chinese curry or if you looking for a decent Indian restaurant, there also a few places in nyc that we go to get a Sunday roast or fish and chips, oh and there is a British pie shop here on li also, it’s not the best but is similar to home.

KarinaL Sep 25th 2023 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by johndel1 (Post 13217856)
Hi there, welcome to LI, I’m originally from London, I’ve been living here in Suffolk county for 9 years now, there are a few I’ve met over the years, but you’ll probably meet more Irish here too be honest. But I know some really good places to find British food, if your ever longing for a British style Chinese curry or if you looking for a decent Indian restaurant, there also a few places in nyc that we go to get a Sunday roast or fish and chips, oh and there is a British pie shop here on li also, it’s not the best but is similar to home.

I appreciate your reply 👍 Many thanks

ScottishChris Oct 20th 2023 11:03 pm

I’m from Glasgow but living in Glen Cove and I go biking near Northport all the time. Would love to meet you guys for a coffee or a pint. My wife is American but we won’t hold that against her. It would be a laugh to get some Brits together for a few shandies.

neiltg Jan 30th 2024 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by johndel1 (Post 13217856)

going to need those restaurants from you Johndel! I’m in Smithtown. Nice to meet you guys

neiltg Jan 30th 2024 10:37 pm

Anyone who’s up for a pint, let me know!

Nypool1e Jan 31st 2024 11:15 am

Originally Posted by neiltg (Post 13238069)
going to need those restaurants from you Johndel! I’m in Smithtown. Nice to meet you guys

Hi Neil, my girlfriend (now wife) lived in Smithtown, I would go out there every weekend from NY. We had many a pint at Rockwell’s, do you know the place?

neiltg Jan 31st 2024 2:21 pm

Hey mate, yes I live 2 minutes from there. It's a good place for a beer. Are you still in the area or moved away?

Nypool1e Feb 1st 2024 8:27 am

My wife and I moved back to England around 18 month ago Neil. Before moving my wife (then girlfriend) had moved to Long Island city so I visited Smithtown for about a year only but loved it there. Rockwell’s was a highlight especially.

neiltg Feb 1st 2024 6:16 pm

Thats great, hope life back in the motherland is good!

Shivvymehaffy Apr 30th 2024 9:42 pm

Hi we are currently living in the UK, (English/Irish) and moving to Long Island, we are looking in and around Glen Cove. We have a 7yr old so can anyone give any recommendations if that’s a good area and what schools are like. Thank you 😊

neiltg May 1st 2024 12:19 am

hi there!
glen cove is a good area, you can’t go too wrong there! Hope you make it here soon!

Originally Posted by Shivvymehaffy (Post 13251081)
Hi we are currently living in the UK, (English/Irish) and moving to Long Island, we are looking in and around Glen Cove. We have a 7yr old so can anyone give any recommendations if that’s a good area and what schools are like. Thank you 😊

Rete May 1st 2024 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Shivvymehaffy (Post 13251081)

Morning ... Instead of here in " Meetups" you would get more response posting in the USA general forum. As noted Glen Cove is an affluent area and a good friend lived there and raised his daughter while living in Glen Cove. Much of Queens County on the Island has a large Irish enclave, as does Manhattan proper. Schooling is different in the US but your child is young enough to acclimate to the change.

Please post again in the USA general forum.

Rete