Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Brits/Irish in Clovis/Fresno area?

Brits/Irish in Clovis/Fresno area?

Old Jul 1st 2012, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Ryan NI will become famous soon enoughRyan NI will become famous soon enough
Default Brits/Irish in Clovis/Fresno area?

Hi finally got my IR-1 Visa approved on Friday so will be moving out to Clovis in November, so was wondering are there any Brits/Irish in the surrounding area that are interested in meeting up for a few pints or whatever?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Location: Enniskillen soon to be Clovis yes Clovis and not Fresno I repeat not Fresno!!!
Default Re: Brits/Irish in Clovis/Fresno area?

I guess it'll be just me visiting Grogg's then
Old Jul 9th 2012, 4:49 am
Just Joined

cloughie74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
I rarely visit this board, but just saw your message. I'm in Fresno. I have one more year here, then I'm moving back to the UK. I'm not saying it's all bad here in Fresno (I heard some horror stories before moving here myself), but it's just not the right fit for me.
Good luck with your move.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Hey, yeah I heard lots about Fresno alright. We'll actually be living in Clovis for about 5 months, then out to Quail Lake, which if I remember rightly is not far off Shaw.

I've been over half a dozen times now and I really like the area. Saying that holidaying is a lot different than the working environment but I love that Yosemite, Skiing, Sequoia are only an hour or so away and can't wait to bring my kids up in this environment.

I also think it really helps that my wife has a strong family network in the area. I have loads in common with them, sports, outdoor pursuits, red wine, brewing etc. So yes it will be daunting but I'm going to go into it with a positive attitude and make the most of it.

Do you know of many others in the area?

Where are you originally from?
Old Jul 9th 2012, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ryan NI
Hey, yeah I heard lots about Fresno alright. We'll actually be living in Clovis for about 5 months, then out to Quail Lake, which if I remember rightly is not far off Shaw.

I've been over half a dozen times now and I really like the area. Saying that holidaying is a lot different than the working environment but I love that Yosemite, Skiing, Sequoia are only an hour or so away and can't wait to bring my kids up in this environment.

I also think it really helps that my wife has a strong family network in the area. I have loads in common with them, sports, outdoor pursuits, red wine, brewing etc. So yes it will be daunting but I'm going to go into it with a positive attitude and make the most of it.

Do you know of many others in the area?

Where are you originally from?
Oh that's helpful if your wife's family are from this area. I live in North West Fresno, walking distance to Woodward Pk. It's considered the best place to live. I like the fact that I can walk to the shops/library etc.
I don't know much about Quail Lake. I've driven past it. It's brand new, so there's not a lot there and it's kind of 'out there,' but it does look like a nice development. I'm sure there's a good sense of community there as everyone is new together.

Grogg's has a very young crowd. A lot of my husband's students drink in there, so for that reason, we haven't been in there. Our local is right across the street (Sequoia Brewery) from us.
The only Brits I have met are two ob-gyn nurses at Clovis Community and a Children's entertainer! There are a lot of people from Mexico, the Middle East, Vietnam and India here, but not many Brits.
I'm sure you will do well here, especially with the right attitude. Also, the schools in Clovis Unified are fairly good. I have heard dire things about Fresno schools. The only issue we have with the schools here is that it is a lot of preparing for tests type of learning, whereas in the UK, they would go out on educational trips a lot more. What I'm saying is that learning was more fun in the UK, whereas it's more learning by rote here.
I am originally from Cambridge, but moved here from North Yorks.
Old Jul 10th 2012, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cloughie74
Oh that's helpful if your wife's family are from this area. I live in North West Fresno, walking distance to Woodward Pk. It's considered the best place to live. I like the fact that I can walk to the shops/library etc.
I don't know much about Quail Lake. I've driven past it. It's brand new, so there's not a lot there and it's kind of 'out there,' but it does look like a nice development. I'm sure there's a good sense of community there as everyone is new together.

Grogg's has a very young crowd. A lot of my husband's students drink in there, so for that reason, we haven't been in there. Our local is right across the street (Sequoia Brewery) from us.
The only Brits I have met are two ob-gyn nurses at Clovis Community and a Children's entertainer! There are a lot of people from Mexico, the Middle East, Vietnam and India here, but not many Brits.
I'm sure you will do well here, especially with the right attitude. Also, the schools in Clovis Unified are fairly good. I have heard dire things about Fresno schools. The only issue we have with the schools here is that it is a lot of preparing for tests type of learning, whereas in the UK, they would go out on educational trips a lot more. What I'm saying is that learning was more fun in the UK, whereas it's more learning by rote here.
I am originally from Cambridge, but moved here from North Yorks.
Ah I love Woodward Pk, got chased by a flock of masive geese the first time I went but apart from that it's great. Got pics taken there last time with our son that look amazing. I've always loved the houses around it, big bungalows with perfect gardens (i realise that description doesn't sound great!).

My wife's cousin (they're like sisters) lives in Quail Lake and they are renting us one of their houses. It is a wee bit out there but beautiful area and the pool will help!

I agree about the schools, we'll defo be trying to get our kids into Clovis ones. Only ever been into downtown Fresno to go to baseball games but apart from this it will not be somewhere I frequent, depending on the work situation of course.

Groggs is the only Irish bar in town after the Public House shut, it's only a few blocks from my MIL's and it does a lovely pint of Smithwicks!! Think I've been in the Sequoia Brewery. Love going to Tahoe Joes for a big feed!!!
Old Jul 10th 2012, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

My three-year-old is absolutely terrified of those geese!
I know the bungalows you are talking about. We live in a house and definitely do not have that perfect garden. Our garden is a playground. On the subject of gardens, my mum is always talking about the hose-pipe ban and huge fines being given out in the UK now. I am frightened to tell her about the sprinklers here that are on several hours a day, misaligned, and watering the concrete side-walks Whatever water is being saved in the UK is being wasted here.
Downtown Fresno is like most Downtowns – office blocks and hospitals, so completely vacated at night, except for homeless people. The Tower District is just strange, neither here nor there. Probably in another ten years, it'll be buzzing (or maybe not?).
Old Aug 25th 2012, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

johnryan559 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ryan NI
Hi finally got my IR-1 Visa approved on Friday so will be moving out to Clovis in November, so was wondering are there any Brits/Irish in the surrounding area that are interested in meeting up for a few pints or whatever?
Hello Mr. Ryan! I've been in NW Fresno 16 years. (Good grief... I can hardly believe it's been that long). I'm from Dublin so an imposter here in a way but as another expat and another Ryan, I thought I'd just have to say hello. There aren't too many of us expats around this neck of the woods!
There is a Brit ex-pat Boxing Day open house I've attended a couple of times which might interest you. Grogs is ok but a very long way from being the cosy pub we might recall from home. They do have an Irish music session one Tuesday a month which can bring in some very talented American musicians who like to play folk. I've been known to hit a drum on the sidelines trying to keep out of harms way.
Side note on the US Open tennis which starts Monday: Let's Go Andy, Let's Go!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnryan559
Hello Mr. Ryan! I've been in NW Fresno 16 years. (Good grief... I can hardly believe it's been that long). I'm from Dublin so an imposter here in a way but as another expat and another Ryan, I thought I'd just have to say hello. There aren't too many of us expats around this neck of the woods!
There is a Brit ex-pat Boxing Day open house I've attended a couple of times which might interest you. Grogs is ok but a very long way from being the cosy pub we might recall from home. They do have an Irish music session one Tuesday a month which can bring in some very talented American musicians who like to play folk. I've been known to hit a drum on the sidelines trying to keep out of harms way.
Side note on the US Open tennis which starts Monday: Let's Go Andy, Let's Go!
Well John, thanks for the reply. Good to hear there is at least one other emerald isle local in Fresno. Agree about Groggs, it's basically an American pub with a few Irish bits and bobs thrown in for effect but it does a mean pint of Smithwick's so who am I to complain!!

The Boxing Day thing sounds good and right up street. Plus it might get me out of having to host a similar for my US family!! Where does it usually happen? Where is the best place to watch soccer (pains me to say it but suppose I need to get used to it)?

Sorry for all the questions but if you have any other advice ie places to go, getting work etc that would be great.

Thanks again
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

johnryan559 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again,
I recently switched from Comcast to AT&T,
and the non-premium package includes Fox soccer network.
Good to hear that's like myself you have a US family to keep you out of mischief.
I don't have enough posts to be allowed to send you a private message, but if you want to get together for a pint some time, send me a private message and we can exchange contact information.
No doubt there is more to say about Clovis/Fresno but I don't have the patience to write it all down!
John
Old Mar 5th 2013, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Well thought I'd throw a wee update in here now as we are pretty settled.

Been in Clovis just outside Fresno since early November living with the Mother in law. I applied for 2 positions one a part time (20 hours non benefitted) at Fresno State Uni and another with a supported employment company (fulltime benefitted) with the position in Visalia about an hour away. Got 1st and 2nd interviews for both. Then in mid December got offered the part time one. This position suited me better duty wise but wanted to hold out to hear about the other one, cause of benefits and pay. Turned out they went with someone else so I immediately rang Fresno State back and accepted. Started Jan 3rd and love the job. It's a program aimed at assisting students with disabilities in the fields of academic, vocational, residential and transition. After 2 months, the director called me to offer me a full time benefitted faculty position. Couldn't believe it but over the moon of course.

It now means we can afford to move into our own place in April, which we can't wait for. Have to say I'm loving it here. Joined an indoor soccer league, made quite a few friends who i head out for a few pints with, the wife has just joined a mother toddler group, so shes meeting new people, she has a second interview for a job on Thursday so at present things looking rosie...(touch wood, fingers crossed and all that!!)

John if you ever fancy meeting for that pint just give me a shout.

PS Blue shield or Kaiser?
Old Sep 19th 2013, 5:56 am
Just Joined

ChrisPritchard is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I'm a fellow Brit just getting ready to move out to Fresno in the next month or so and wondering if anyone has had any luck finding any other Brits over here? While I love the locals, I wouldn't mind hearing a friendly accent from time to time!

Cheers,

Chris
Old Sep 28th 2013, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Hey Chris, been here nearly a year now and have to say have barely met a brit. Was in a training at Fresno State and a scottish doll presented it and thats about the height of it.

Where are you from? Where abouts are you moving to?

Let me know if you have any questions?
Old Sep 28th 2013, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm happy you found other things to do, other than cow tipping and meth that is.