Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Brits In Chicago

Brits In Chicago

Old Aug 15th 2011, 1:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits In Chicago

Originally Posted by Monkey2RatsandRabbit
Hey Mr. Emjoy, I was in Scotland last winter and it was absolutely miserable, freezing - in fact had a hell of a time trying to get there with all airports shut.
But hey, I think the US is better prepared for winter than the UK seems to be.

Thanks for the Expat rides link, I've asked for a quote. I'm thinking they'll take advantage of the situation though, stupid not to.

I also heard about the Globe, but was hoping someone can tell me if I can subscribe to any PayTV packages so I can watch it at home..

Cheers
We got 22" of snow in a single storm in February - that's what Mr Emjoy was referring to

That isn't typical though for a single snowfall, but 12-15" is not uncommon and 6-9" is regular. You do get used to it though, and it is sort of nice to have snow over Christmas.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 2:07 am
Just Joined

Monkey2RatsandRabbit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
We got 22" of snow in a single storm in February - that's what Mr Emjoy was referring to

That isn't typical though for a single snowfall, but 12-15" is not uncommon and 6-9" is regular. You do get used to it though, and it is sort of nice to have snow over Christmas.
I'm looking forward to it! I'd love the kids to experience snow at christmas.

Thanks,
Gilly
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:33 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monkey2RatsandRabbit
I'm looking forward to it! I'd love the kids to experience snow at christmas.

Thanks,
Gilly
They will

Only one year in the 6 I've been here we didn't have at least snow on the ground at Christmas, that was 2006. I remember playing in the back garden with my son and nephew on Christmas Eve, and it was in the mid 60s Fahrenheit!
Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

We are considering a move to Aurora, or another suburb. Neither of us know Chicagoland except as visitors, (we have an aunt in Warrenville), but are looking for someplace with good train access to O'Hare, but out of the main suburban area.

But the main issues -
where to buy Cadburys chocolate
ditto . . . . . ..Weetabix
ditto . . . . . .decent gravy.

And we've heard rumors of an Aston Villa Supporters Club. True?
If so, where are they?
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

UltraViolet007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Middlemore
where to buy Cadburys chocolate
ditto . . . . . ..Weetabix
ditto . . . . . .decent gravy.
I live in Plainfield, abut 20 minutes away from Aurora, and if you go to a Meijer store, they have all those items...I just bought myself some jammy dodgers and maltesers
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by UltraViolet007
I live in Plainfield, abut 20 minutes away from Aurora, and if you go to a Meijer store, they have all those items...I just bought myself some jammy dodgers and maltesers
Just remembered, can you get Tetley's decaffeinated tea anywhere?
Decaff always tastes feeble in the US, I had to bring it from UK when we lived in Idaho, please tell me IL has got it figured!

Maltesers? wow, was not expecting that, made my day: )
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

hockeysarah is an unknown quantity at this point

Been here for a week now! Started the job hunt yesterday!
So where are all the brits?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:19 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by hockeysarah
I'm way up in the nosebleeds by the WI border. Can't speek for anyone else
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:32 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

You're in Evanston right?

I'm not far west of you.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
You're in Evanston right?

I'm not far west of you.
Going to be moving to Evanston once I have got a job! At my Husbands Dads is Park Ridge at the moment which isnt ideal!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:44 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Going to be moving to Evanston once I have got a job! At my Husbands Dads is Park Ridge at the moment which isnt ideal!
Oh!

I'm east of you then

Near Jefferson park and Edge-brook, if you look on a map.

You're close to O'connors Deli, they sell good bacon and have some English stuff but it is pricey.

7280 West Devon Avenue, Chicago, IL

Also, go to Jewel Osco and ask for the Irish Section, it's near the Asian stuff normally, they sell Tetleys and a lot of English Choccies.

If you need a better cup of tea you can get Yorkshire Tea at Fresh Farms:
5740 West Touhy Avenue, Niles, IL

Closer to Evanston also.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Oh!

I'm east of you then

Near Jefferson park and Edge-brook, if you look on a map.

You're close to O'connors Deli, they sell good bacon and have some English stuff but it is pricey.

7280 West Devon Avenue, Chicago, IL

Also, go to Jewel Osco and ask for the Irish Section, it's near the Asian stuff normally, they sell Tetleys and a lot of English Choccies.

If you need a better cup of tea you can get Yorkshire Tea at Fresh Farms:
5740 West Touhy Avenue, Niles, IL

Closer to Evanston also.
The Dominicks across the road has a British/Irish section now but its very pricey! A bottle of squash is $6!
Good call on the bacon though Ill check that out!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:51 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

The Dominicks across the road has a British/Irish section now but its very pricey! A bottle of squash is $6!
Good call on the bacon though Ill check that out!
Near I-90?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Near I-90?
Yeh, on Cumberland