British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Meet-ups (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/)
-   -   Brits in Charleston SC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/brits-charleston-sc-723909/)

SarahG Mar 18th 2012 2:25 am

Re: Brits in Charleston SC

Hi everyone. We've been in Mount Pleasant for about 3 weeks now and are almost finished unpacking. I was wondering if there are any Brits in the area who fancy meeting up for a pint or 2. Any recommendations for pub would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Married2abrit Mar 18th 2012 2:06 pm

"We were there only for the high school, to be honest I found most of the people there boring and snotty. Maybe that was just me, others say they are friendly and welcoming? "

Mt. Pleasant dwellers tend to be called the "more/better" people around here. They tend to be very snottly and exclusive, so I agree with you in that opinion. They tend to forget that only 30 years ago people who lived in that area were considered "hicks" by everyone else in the state. I was born and raised in Charleston and I could never bring myself to live in Mt. Pleasant (even if a house was paid in full)-- working there for two years was bad enough for me (lol), but different strokes for different folks. Hope everyone has fun at future meet-ups! And I hope people find some genuinely nice folks to hang out with.

Englishtart Mar 18th 2012 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by SarahG (Post 9958694)
Hi everyone. We've been in Mount Pleasant for about 3 weeks now and are almost finished unpacking. I was wondering if there are any Brits in the area who fancy meeting up for a pint or 2. Any recommendations for pub would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Hi Sarah ;)

Happy to hear you are settling in ok, hope you get some responses to your post, unfortunately, I am still here in Canada until April 16th.

If you haven't manged to meet up with any Brits by then, send me a PM and we can arrange to get together:thumbup:
huggs kim x

SarahG Mar 18th 2012 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart2 (Post 9959644)
Hi Sarah ;)

Happy to hear you are settling in ok, hope you get some responses to your post, unfortunately, I am still here in Canada until April 16th.

If you haven't manged to meet up with any Brits by then, send me a PM and we can arrange to get together:thumbup:
huggs kim x

Thanks Kim. Will definitely take you up on that. :thumbsup:

newadventure Mar 19th 2012 12:15 pm

Hi Sarah

Glad you are settling in. We are moving to mount pleasant from the uk on 1st April. Still haven't found anywhere to live so staying at a hotel and then holiday let until may. Which school are your kids in and how is it going. My three are 5 7 and 10. Any thoughts on things you would have brought that you didn't. Ship freight collects next monday. Living on lists at the moment. Would love to meet up when we get settled.:)

SarahG Mar 19th 2012 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 9960827)
Hi Sarah

Glad you are settling in. We are moving to mount pleasant from the uk on 1st April. Still haven't found anywhere to live so staying at a hotel and then holiday let until may. Which school are your kids in and how is it going. My three are 5 7 and 10. Any thoughts on things you would have brought that you didn't. Ship freight collects next monday. Living on lists at the moment. Would love to meet up when we get settled.:)

My kids (aged almost 7 and 8 1/2) go to James B Edwards Elementary. They are liking it so far. The start of the day is *so* early! School begins at 7.40am and the get out at 2.40pm! :eek:
Not sure about what to ship as we didn't bring any of our furniture over. All we brought was what I could fit into 6 suitcases & vaccum seal bags! :D We figured we could get a lot of stuff here so we sold most of our furniture etc before we left.
We are renting a cheap and cheerful townhouse near Mount Pleasant Town Center shops just now as we wanted to get to know the area (and get GC) before deciding where to buy.
Look forward to meeting up when you get over. Are you coming on an L or H visa or something else? We are here on H visas at the moment so I can't work.

lnd1 Mar 19th 2012 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by SarahG (Post 9958694)

Hi Sarah,

We are both always up for meeting new people, so anytime you fancy going for a drink/meal etc then just let me know?

Hope you are settling into Mount Pleasant. We live in Mount P too, near to the Isle of Palm's connector.

Still getting to know pubs ourselves there are some nice places to drink in the Downtown area.

Laura :)

newadventure Mar 19th 2012 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by SarahG (Post 9960862)
My kids (aged almost 7 and 8 1/2) go to James B Edwards Elementary. They are liking it so far. The start of the day is *so* early! School begins at 7.40am and the get out at 2.40pm! :eek:
Not sure about what to ship as we didn't bring any of our furniture over. All we brought was what I could fit into 6 suitcases & vaccum seal bags! :D We figured we could get a lot of stuff here so we sold most of our furniture etc before we left.
We are renting a cheap and cheerful townhouse near Mount Pleasant Town Center shops just now as we wanted to get to know the area (and get GC) before deciding where to buy.
Look forward to meeting up when you get over. Are you coming on an L or H visa or something else? We are here on H visas at the moment so I can't work.

Hi Sarah

Thanks for this. We are coming over on a L1 visa so I should be able to work on the back of my husbands visa but need to apply when I get to the us. Will keep you posted how we get on. Heard about the early starts as did a recky trip in nov last year - will take some getting used. I hear they get loads of homework as well.

SarahG May 15th 2012 9:17 pm

(Posted this is the other SC Meet Up thread but thought I might get more joy posting it here)

Anyone in Mount Pleasant area fancy meeting up for a beer or 2? My and the husband feel like a night out without the kids and it would be nice to meet some fellow expats. :beer: or :drinkwine:

ElyStandard May 15th 2012 9:29 pm

I would love to meet for drinks! I somehow missed the earlier meetup.
I just got back from England, with an unseemly amount of chocolate stuffed in my suitcase. i could be persuaded to part with a Crunchie or similar if you ask nicely!

Brendan_SC May 18th 2012 4:11 pm

Have any more meetups happened in recent times? Or should we try to organise/organize one?

I am currently in the zone of trying to get my head round tax issues during the first year. General advice seems to be to hire a professional, but my fear is that in Charleston, you end up with a local good Ol' Boy, who knows nothing about the issues involved with Expats.
Can anyone recommend anybody good locally that they have used?

SarahG May 18th 2012 10:54 pm

I have not been to one since I moved to MP which was at the end of February. I am open to going anywhere as long as I am able to sort out babysitter for my kids.

Not sure where is good to goas I've not been out drinking since I moved here. I know that is shocking coming from a Scot! :lol: Do you have any suggestions? I would imagine Friday or Saturday night would be best for most people. Let me know when you'd be able to go out and we can work out a date/time/place etc for everyone.

newadventure May 19th 2012 12:52 am

Hi

We are now getting settled and move into our longer term rental tomorrow - it maybe only for 5 months or 17 depending on landlords movements. Have struggled getting long term rental in the place we want to move to as the kids are settled in school. I am also now Official as my ead visa came through this week! Kids settled in school and we are very pleased with the education system over here as you hear some tales. Let us know what is planned and we will see if we can pitch up babysitter permitting. Fri evening best for us.

SarahG May 19th 2012 2:21 am

Cool. What school do your kids go to? My OH has said Friday would be best for us too. My in-laws are arriving for a 3 week visit (oh joy) in just over a month so be good to meet up before then as I will be taken up with carting them around the State. :eek:

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 10070032)
Hi

We are now getting settled and move into our longer term rental tomorrow - it maybe only for 5 months or 17 depending on landlords movements. Have struggled getting long term rental in the place we want to move to as the kids are settled in school. I am also now Official as my ead visa came through this week! Kids settled in school and we are very pleased with the education system over here as you hear some tales. Let us know what is planned and we will see if we can pitch up babysitter permitting. Fri evening best for us.

SarahG May 31st 2012 4:51 pm

My inlaws are visiting us for 3 weeks from June 20th so I'd like to arrange a meet up during that time as we will have reliable babysitters who would be more than willing to spend time with the kids whilst me and the hubby go out for a beer or 7. Anyone have a preference for date? Can anyone recommend a location? :drinkwine: :beer:

I've recently met another Brit here in Mount Pleasant who is from Newcastle and she's said she'd like to come along too as she has not met many other Brits since living here.

newadventure May 31st 2012 8:29 pm

Hi

Sorry I havent responded for a while - life has taken over. Kids at Mount Pleasant Academy. We can do any date - friday sat are better for us. Looking forward to it.:)

Brendan_SC Jun 1st 2012 2:47 pm

Hi Guys,

We are pretty flexible (no kids), so if someone wants to suggest a particular day, we will more than likely be able to make it.

Also, I wanted to extend an invitation to any expats to join the Charleston Hurling club. (Ever heard of the game of hurling?)
Myself and an American guy that used to play the game in Indy, got things rolling this Spring. So far, it has been nearly all guys that have come out to practice, but that is not to say that we are not open to everyone giving it a go. We are hoping to turn it into a social outlet as much as a sporting outlet - for example - going for a few drinks after practice, family brunch on Sunday to catch a game on TV, some trips to other cities in the South East, etc.

We generally try to practice on Wednesday evenings and do something on the weekend too. I have found it a great way to meet some new people.

We have a facebook page that we'd love you to join: https://www.facebook.com/CharlestonHC and also a website http://www.charlestonhurling.com/
Also, we had some TV coverage this week too, so you can see a little bit more about the game and what we are trying to do: http://www.abcnews4.com/video?clipId...autostart=true

MisterDavid Jun 10th 2012 8:33 pm

Hi all, I'm David.

[removes hat, bows low]

I've appreciated reading this thread - looks like there are a few of us. My wife is in Mt P (with her parents) awaiting me, and I'm awaiting my Green Card (I've had the interview etc.). So hopefully I'll be with you just in time for the stinking hot weather to kick in. Huzzah.

Quick intro: I'm 31, born in Sheffield, lived in the West Country & Edinburgh, got a bit of Welsh/Cornish/Irish/Saxon&Normon in me - basically I always have someone to cheer in the 6 nations - and have married into a Lebanese family from Charleston. Fun times :)

Be great to bump into some of you before too long.

Love from sleepy old Devon ...

SarahG Jun 10th 2012 8:55 pm

Hi David. Nice to 'meet' you. Look forward to meeting you for a pint or two when you come over. BTW I was born and bred in Edinburgh till I was 18. :)

Catgirl Jun 20th 2012 2:02 am

Haven't been here in a while, more like 18 months since my visit. Glad to see that there are more brits in Mt. Pleasant. Looking forward to meeting some of you.

Pegster Jun 22nd 2012 10:43 pm

Hiyas! Any meet ups happening? We've been over here for a year now, and I'm desperately trying to get my husband to be more social! I figure he might prefer meeting up with y'all than with the 'good ol' boys' that I grew up with! :)

SarahG Jun 22nd 2012 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pegster (Post 10134005)
Hiyas! Any meet ups happening? We've been over here for a year now, and I'm desperately trying to get my husband to be more social! I figure he might prefer meeting up with y'all than with the 'good ol' boys' that I grew up with! :)

Once I know what my in-laws have planned for their visit with us and when they can babysit for us, I'm going to try to sort something out. (They arrived late last night)

I'm thinking either Friday June 29 or Friday July 6th.

Which date is good for everyone?

Pegster Jun 25th 2012 3:21 pm

Either date would be good for us. :)

ElyStandard Jun 25th 2012 3:29 pm

I can do either night

SarahG Jun 26th 2012 2:49 pm

Ok, I'm going to ask my in-laws to watch the kids on Friday July 6th. I'm thinking meeting at about 7.30pm would be a good time. If anyone can suggest a place in Mount Pleasant then fine, otherwise I'll try to find a suitable location.

So far there would be me, my OH, a Brit I have met here whose from Newcastle and most likely her US husband, ElyStandard, Pegster. Anyone else?

:beer: :drinkwine: :britflag:

Pegster Jun 26th 2012 3:40 pm

I'm going to drag the husband along (probably against protests). I'd be really grateful if we could go to a place that has burgers/steaks - I have a picky husband :(

Brendan_SC Jul 1st 2012 2:17 pm

Unfortunately, we will be out of town next weekend, so we won't be able to attend.
A few places in Mount Pleasant that I could suggest:

Triangle Char & Bar - nice indoor and outdoor areas. Good atmosphere, but not too noisy so you will be able to chat. Food is casual, but nice. large drinks selection.
Reds Ice House - nice setting on Shem Creek. very casual. food is not great though, in my opinion
Basil - really nice Thai restaurant. happy hour til 7 has some good deals. nice outside area upstairs. more of a formal restaurant than a bar. good for dinner.

Enjoy

Married2abrit Jul 1st 2012 7:06 pm

There's a Triangle Char and Bar in Mt. Pleasant? The only one I know of is in the Avondale area of West Ashley-- a completely separate section of Charleston. Have fun wherever you decide to go!

Pegster Jul 1st 2012 8:47 pm

We're in Summerville, so either West Ashley or Mount Pleasant is fine - I wouldn't say no to North Charleston though! :)

SarahG Jul 1st 2012 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan_SC (Post 10148895)
Unfortunately, we will be out of town next weekend, so we won't be able to attend.
A few places in Mount Pleasant that I could suggest:

Triangle Char & Bar - nice indoor and outdoor areas. Good atmosphere, but not too noisy so you will be able to chat. Food is casual, but nice. large drinks selection.
Reds Ice House - nice setting on Shem Creek. very casual. food is not great though, in my opinion
Basil - really nice Thai restaurant. happy hour til 7 has some good deals. nice outside area upstairs. more of a formal restaurant than a bar. good for dinner.

Enjoy

Triangle Char & Bar sounds good, I'd never heard of it before. I have been to Reds Ice House on Shem Creek recently and it was really loud and very busy. I circled the car park for 10 minutes looking for a space!

Shall we say Triangle Char & Bar at 7.30pm on Friday July 6 in Mount Pleasant (1440 Ben Sawyer Blvd.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464)? Is that good with everyone? We could always make it a regular occurence and go to places around MP and Charleston.

ElyStandard Jul 1st 2012 11:01 pm

West Ashley or Mt P?

SarahG Jul 1st 2012 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by ElyStandard (Post 10149454)
West Ashley or Mt P?

Sorry, Mt P.

1440 Ben Sawyer Blvd.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

ElyStandard Jul 1st 2012 11:07 pm

Sounds good! May bring the other half along, too.

Brendan_SC Jul 2nd 2012 8:57 pm

Sarah G, I know what you are talking about with the carpark in Reds. It is in desperate need of repaving - either that or you need to bring an army tank to drive through the potholes.
Triangle in Mount P. is not as noisy as Reds, so i think that would definitely be a better option.

JenZ01 Jul 2nd 2012 9:06 pm

Hello! My husband and I just moved to Summerville in December and he is from England. We have been talking lately about how nice it would be for him to find some other Brits to hang out with and I just came across this forum now...and I'm pretty excited about it ;-)

What does he need to do to join, and do you ever meet-up in Summerville?

Our close friends also moved here in December and they are from England as well (I am the lonely Canadian outsider!) I am sure they would be interested in meeting other brits as well. Any chance for a meet-up this month at Accent on Wine in downtown Summerville?

Jen Z

SarahG Jul 3rd 2012 2:09 am

Originally Posted by JenZ01 (Post 10151060)
Hello! My husband and I just moved to Summerville in December and he is from England. We have been talking lately about how nice it would be for him to find some other Brits to hang out with and I just came across this forum now...and I'm pretty excited about it ;-)

What does he need to do to join, and do you ever meet-up in Summerville?

Our close friends also moved here in December and they are from England as well (I am the lonely Canadian outsider!) I am sure they would be interested in meeting other brits as well. Any chance for a meet-up this month at Accent on Wine in downtown Summerville?

Jen Z

Hi Jen
This is the first meet up I have arranged and I'm hoping it goes well! Nothing needs to be done to join although it'd probably be good for your OH if he signed up for BE as this is where any info about meet ups would be posted. I'm sure we could arrange a get together in Summerville. I've only been there once, a few months ago for the flower festival.

Pegster Jul 3rd 2012 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by SarahG (Post 10149441)
Shall we say Triangle Char & Bar at 7.30pm on Friday July 6 in Mount Pleasant (1440 Ben Sawyer Blvd.
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464)? Is that good with everyone? We could always make it a regular occurence and go to places around MP and Charleston.

This is fine - and I'd be happy to go to any meet ups in Summerville, as that's where we're located! :thumbup:

JenZ01 Jul 5th 2012 10:39 pm

This is great news! I will get my husband to join as well and hopefully we can arrange a meet-up here is Summerville sometime soon ;-)

ElyStandard Jul 6th 2012 1:18 pm

Summerville here too!

newadventure Jul 6th 2012 2:13 pm

Sorry we wont be able to make it tonight. Coupled with trying our three diff sitters who cant cover and heading off camping in the smokeys tomorrow it just isnt going to happen. Have a great time. Count us into a future meet.