British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Meet-ups (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/)
-   -   Brits in Charleston SC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/brits-charleston-sc-723909/)

william_wallace1967 Jul 7th 2011 1:05 am

Brits in Charleston SC

Any Brit's/Scots in the Charleston SC area?

Hi all. It's been a long while since I came on here and I intend to use this site more often.

Just wondering If any Brits live in the Charleston SC area? I actually live in Summerville which is about 20 miles from Charleston. I moved here in Dec 2009 (K1 Visa) and now hold a 10 year GC.

I have come across a few Brits in my time here but not too many. Just also looking into any feedback on anyone in this and surrounding area on what they do, whether It's trying to find Scottish/British food, Highland Games(I've been to the one in Mount Pleasant twice) any sort of British culture and I'm sure you miss it across the pond.

Cheers all

Married2abrit Jul 7th 2011 1:44 pm

Re: Brits in Charleston SC

The only highland games in the area is in Mt. Pleasant (usually held in September at Boone Hall). I think the next closest one is in NC somewhere. My husband has been here since 2003. We are only now getting around to doing the citizenship papers, lol! The pub Madra Rua serves Irish food. It's located in the historic Park Circle area in North Charleston (not too far of a drive from Summerville). There are local pick-up games of soccer listed on spoccer.com (whoever shows up plays, young and old). If I can think of anything else to help you I'll do another post. My husband and I don't get out an awful lot as he works two jobs and is pretty exhausted much of the time.

william_wallace1967 Jul 7th 2011 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Married2abrit (Post 9481112)
The only highland games in the area is in Mt. Pleasant (usually held in September at Boone Hall). I think the next closest one is in NC somewhere. My husband has been here since 2003. We are only now getting around to doing the citizenship papers, lol! The pub Madra Rua serves Irish food. It's located in the historic Park Circle area in North Charleston (not too far of a drive from Summerville). There are local pick-up games of soccer listed on spoccer.com (whoever shows up plays, young and old). If I can think of anything else to help you I'll do another post. My husband and I don't get out an awful lot as he works two jobs and is pretty exhausted much of the time.

I think the one your on about in NC is Kings Mountain. There is also an Irish Pub in West Ashley that sells an Irish/Scottish breakfast but for the hell of me, I can't remember it. They serve black and white pudding, potato scones etc.

Boone Hall is lovely, been there on plenty occasions. I think I'm more surprised than anything else that I haven't bumped into more Brits since I moved here in 2008, as I used to work for the Post & Courier, I was out and about a lot.

I appreciate your reply :D

D.K.B.63 Jul 21st 2011 12:08 am

Hi

There is a Highland Games in Greenville SC in the spring at Furman University havent been my self but have been told its very good.

ElyStandard Sep 23rd 2011 12:42 am

I'm in Summerville too - there is a new Madra Rua opened on Main Street that's quite nice

lnd1 Jan 13th 2012 1:27 pm

Hi, Me and my husband John have just moved to SC in Charleston. I am really enjoying my time here in America, but it has been a long time since I have had the chance to have a chat with somebody from the UK, other than using Skype.

I would love to get a group of British people together to have a few drinks at a pub and make some friends. America is great but it is always nice to hear a familiar accent. If you are up for going for a drink please post on the forum and we can try and arrange to meet up.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers

Laura :thumbup:

(PS. No swingers or weirdo’s please)

ElyStandard Jan 13th 2012 1:47 pm

Count me in for a meet-up.
I so miss hearing english spoken!

lnd1 Jan 13th 2012 8:37 pm

Great, let’s try and get a group of us together and arrange a meet up. Looking forward to meeting up soon. :)

Originally Posted by ElyStandard (Post 9840238)

Count me in for a meet-up.
I so miss hearing english spoken!

Domnnicki Jan 14th 2012 6:42 pm

I am in Myrtle Beach so would be interested if you guys arranged a meetup.

lnd1 Jan 14th 2012 8:44 pm

Good to know. So far it looks like we could get a group together. We live in Charleston, SC. I will think about arranging a get together and come back to you with possible dates and times. :)

Originally Posted by Domnnicki (Post 9842131)
I am in Myrtle Beach so would be interested if you guys arranged a meetup.

SarahG Jan 16th 2012 11:59 am

I am going to be moving to the Charleston/Mt Pleasant area in a few months. If anyone starts any Expat meetups I'll definitely be up for joining when we move down.

I've heard about the Scottish games in MP and I am planning on going to have a look see. Never got around to checking out the Scottish Society here in Indy.

Orangepants Jan 16th 2012 2:41 pm

Some friends and I are coming down the weekend of March 31 to Charleston to do the Cooper River Bridge 10K Run. Wont be much of a night Friday as we will be carb-loading but Saturday night promises to be a night to remember. If you are in town that night - come join us.

Sue Jan 16th 2012 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 9845416)
Some friends and I are coming down the weekend of March 31 to Charleston to do the Cooper River Bridge 10K Run. Wont be much of a night Friday as we will be carb-loading but Saturday night promises to be a night to remember. If you are in town that night - come join us.

Well you might be running, but I'm going to walk up and skate down!!!:rofl::rofl:

lnd1 Jan 16th 2012 8:07 pm

Hi Sarah,

That's good news. I am going to try and organise a few get togethers soon. Look forward to meeting you and your husband.

Cheers

Laura :)

Originally Posted by SarahG (Post 9845123)
I am going to be moving to the Charleston/Mt Pleasant area in a few months. If anyone starts any Expat meetups I'll definitely be up for joining when we move down.

I've heard about the Scottish games in MP and I am planning on going to have a look see. Never got around to checking out the Scottish Society here in Indy.

Englishtart Jan 17th 2012 8:28 pm

Hubby is deployed and I am travelling right now, but should be back in N.Chas' by early May. We would be interested in a meet-up of Brits too, so will keep an eye on this thread:)

Also know a couple of other Brits we have dinner/drinks with, that live on Johns Island, so will bring them along too.
huggs Kim x