Reload this Page >

Brits in Charleston SC

Brits in Charleston SC

Old Feb 27th 2012, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

lnd1 will become famous soon enoughlnd1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Brits in Charleston SC

Hi Luke,

We are fairly new to the area to. My name is Laura and I am originally from North London and my husband’s name is John.

We moved to the States due to John's job. We have lived in Mount Pleasant for the last 6 months and would be happy to meet up with you both.

Perhaps we could meet for drinks in the Mount Pleasant area on Saturday 31st March?

Thanks for the offer of bringing some English treats; you can get Cadburys over here and fairly decent English tea too.

Laura

Originally Posted by LDN2CHS
Hey guys,

I'm visiting Charleston from the 20th of March to the 25th of April - my girlfriend lives on James Island, and I'll be seeing her and 'working from home'.

I'd love to meet up with some Brits in the area to have a chat about life in South Carolina. I've a view to move to Charleston in the next 12-18 months and would love to know a little more!

I work in software Sales & Marketing, and it would be great to meet similar professionals! I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to sales in America.

Similarly, let me know if there is anything I can bring over for you! From Yorkshire tea to actual Cadburys!

Luke
Old Feb 28th 2012, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Brendan_SC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

First post here, so be kind We are not exactly British expats, but my OH and I relocated from Ireland in the past year and are living in Mount P. , so hopefully that qualifies us to post here??

I have met a few British people here since we moved and some Irish too. I would say the British community is bigger than you would first think, although still relatively small.

Did the first meet up take place? how did it go? Also, are there any others planned, as I'd be definitely interested in dropping in to say hello?

Brendan
Old Feb 28th 2012, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brendan_SC
Hi All,

First post here, so be kind We are not exactly British expats, but my OH and I relocated from Ireland in the past year and are living in Mount P. , so hopefully that qualifies us to post here??

I have met a few British people here since we moved and some Irish too. I would say the British community is bigger than you would first think, although still relatively small.

Did the first meet up take place? how did it go? Also, are there any others planned, as I'd be definitely interested in dropping in to say hello?

Brendan
Hi Brendan

Welcome to the forum, I am in Canada at the mo' visiting friends, but we live in N.Charleston, we lived in Mt.P for a year when we first moved to SC in 2010.
Of course you are qualified to post here Not sure about the meet up, but I think there will be more planned, I am hoping so because we will be back in SC around May 10th and was planning on turning up at one after that!

Jump in on the US forum and say hi to all the other expats around the US
huggs kim x
Old Feb 28th 2012, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to MP this past weekend. Currently sat waiting for Comcast to connect my internet. Looking forward to next meet up whenever it is. My kids started school today. My daughter found out there is another English kid in her class.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
We moved to MP this past weekend. Currently sat waiting for Comcast to connect my internet. Looking forward to next meet up whenever it is. My kids started school today. My daughter found out there is another English kid in her class.
That's great Sarah

Hope your kids settle in pretty quickly, they are great schools! Did the BIL turn up yet? lol. We have comcast there too, no issues with them so far

Good luck with the unpacking, hope to see you in April sometime
PS, if you go into harris teeters there on the 41, be sure to say hello to Monika for me in starbucks
Old Feb 28th 2012, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

The weather yesterday in Mount P. wasn't the most welcoming for your first Monday morning in SC. Today, however, is a more what it has been like lately.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

The weather has been fine so far but then I am Scottish and have just left Indiana winters! Not been to Harris Teeter yet but think I will. Went to Publix on Sunday and spent close to $200!
Kids start going to school by bus tomorrow and I thought I'd check the pickup time. It is 6.40am!! The schedule I had said it was 6.55am. School seems ok but it's clear the school district we just left has a LOT more money than this one!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The weather has been fine so far but then I am Scottish and have just left Indiana winters! Not been to Harris Teeter yet but think I will. Went to Publix on Sunday and spent close to $200!
Kids start going to school by bus tomorrow and I thought I'd check the pickup time. It is 6.40am!! The schedule I had said it was 6.55am. School seems ok but it's clear the school district we just left has a LOT more money than this one!
Yeah, the prices of groceries in Mt.P are a lot higher than in N.Charleston, I think we are saving close to a thousand$ a month by leaving Mt.P (between rent, groceries, utilities etc) I think it's just expected that people living in Mt.P have more money to spend. We were there only for the high school, to be honest I found most of the people there boring and snotty. Maybe that was just me, others say they are friendly and welcoming?

My Sons bus picked up around 7am, but that was HS. they do tend to pick up early, but they finished early too.

I know that the schools in that district probably spend more than pretty much any others around, I'm surprised that you have a different impression, I think the magnet school in Charleston may spend a little more, i'm not sure.

If you decide to join the city data forum for Charleston, you will quickly learn that there is a big 'keeping up with the jones's' thing going on between Mt.P and Summerville!
Old Mar 1st 2012, 12:37 am
Just Joined

lnd1 will become famous soon enoughlnd1 will become famous soon enough

Hi Brendan,

That is not a problem the more the merrier.

We also live in Mount P and are fairly new to the area, we moved here due to my husband’s job. My name is Laura and my hubbies name is John.

Yes, the first meet up did take place I organised the evening, although we were running late ourselves. When we did turn up we could not see anyone. Admittedly, we had a small banner with the group’s name on our table.

The meet up was to an Irish pub called 'Madra Rua' located in Park Circle. It was quite dark in there which made it hard to find anyone. Never the less we ended up staying for a drink and some tasty fish and chips.

Hope the next meet up works out better, sorry if the last one was a bit of a flop. I did try!

Originally Posted by Brendan_SC
Hi All,

Brendan
Old Mar 1st 2012, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

I have been to Madra Rua a couple of times - the last attempt was an ill-fated effort to watch Ireland V France in the Rugby, but the game was called off due to the frost.
Always lots of stuff going on around the City, so there is generally no shortage of events happening. the city paper comes out mid-week and has a good listing of things to do.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi everyone. We've been in Mount Pleasant for about 3 weeks now and are almost finished unpacking. I was wondering if there are any Brits in the area who fancy meeting up for a pint or 2. Any recommendations for pub would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

"We were there only for the high school, to be honest I found most of the people there boring and snotty. Maybe that was just me, others say they are friendly and welcoming? "

Mt. Pleasant dwellers tend to be called the "more/better" people around here. They tend to be very snottly and exclusive, so I agree with you in that opinion. They tend to forget that only 30 years ago people who lived in that area were considered "hicks" by everyone else in the state. I was born and raised in Charleston and I could never bring myself to live in Mt. Pleasant (even if a house was paid in full)-- working there for two years was bad enough for me (lol), but different strokes for different folks. Hope everyone has fun at future meet-ups! And I hope people find some genuinely nice folks to hang out with.
Old Mar 18th 2012, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi everyone. We've been in Mount Pleasant for about 3 weeks now and are almost finished unpacking. I was wondering if there are any Brits in the area who fancy meeting up for a pint or 2. Any recommendations for pub would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Sarah

Happy to hear you are settling in ok, hope you get some responses to your post, unfortunately, I am still here in Canada until April 16th.

If you haven't manged to meet up with any Brits by then, send me a PM and we can arrange to get together
huggs kim x
Old Mar 18th 2012, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishtart2
Hi Sarah

Happy to hear you are settling in ok, hope you get some responses to your post, unfortunately, I am still here in Canada until April 16th.

If you haven't manged to meet up with any Brits by then, send me a PM and we can arrange to get together
huggs kim x
Thanks Kim. Will definitely take you up on that.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah

Glad you are settling in. We are moving to mount pleasant from the uk on 1st April. Still haven't found anywhere to live so staying at a hotel and then holiday let until may. Which school are your kids in and how is it going. My three are 5 7 and 10. Any thoughts on things you would have brought that you didn't. Ship freight collects next monday. Living on lists at the moment. Would love to meet up when we get settled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.