British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Meet-ups (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/)
-   -   Brits in Central NJ/Jersey Shore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/brits-central-nj-jersey-shore-888378/)

Sinyor19 Dec 2nd 2016 11:51 am

Brits in Central NJ/Jersey Shore

Hello there,

Living in Old Bridge NJ, recently moved from London.

Looking to meet up with fellow brits in the area. I found plenty in North Jersey but not much down in Central Jersey or by the shore.

Cheers
Lev

JosiesJourney Jan 14th 2017 12:03 am

Re: Brits in Central NJ/Jersey Shore

Hold that thought! We are moving out there in May, would love to meet up and gain your knowledge and wisdom! How are you finding it and are you working/ have children?
Josie

Sinyor19 Jan 14th 2017 1:01 am

For sure. Happy to share experience so far. First child on the way!

Got a job as soon as I got my EAD and now have my greencard. Loving it here. Very different to London. Happy to answer any questions and definitely looking forward to meeting up. Would be nice to meet some fellow brits.

JosiesJourney Jan 14th 2017 8:42 pm

Wonderful that's good to know. I will be getting my EAD hopefully at the same time as DH gets his working visa. Do I need a green card to work or can that be applied for afterwards?
Sorry, list of questions coming up!
Did you find it easy to make friends? Have you been able to get in contact with other Brits? Did you get your belongings shipped and are there any issues with doing that? Did you get health insurance sorted out with work or have you set this up separately? Are you renting, if so where and do you have a property in London you are letting out?

We have 3 kids (aged 2, 6 and 8) so have to get schools sorted. Congratulations on baby! It's a wonderful time, wish I could do it all again but think 4 would be just a step too far!
I heard they don't have prawn cocktail crisps in the US, is that true??!!
I'd love to meet up when we get out there - should be mid-May. Can't wait but totally scared as well.
My sister lives in London - Mile end East London, where about were you living?
Josie x

Sinyor19 Jan 16th 2017 1:13 pm

Hi. I sent you PM

GreenUS Mar 26th 2017 10:11 am

I live in Red Bank. How's it going?

Sinyor19 Mar 26th 2017 11:39 am

Originally Posted by GreenUS (Post 12213304)
I live in Red Bank. How's it going?

I work in red bank. Live in old bridge. Going well thanks!

Geckz Apr 27th 2017 12:46 pm

I'm in Atlantic highlands :)

been here for 2 years now!

Sinyor19 Apr 27th 2017 12:57 pm

Nice. I work in red bank so thats pretty near AH. Been here almost 2 years now..

Sinyor19 Nov 17th 2017 1:31 pm

Any updates on people around the Old Bridge/Freehold area in NJ? Desperate to meet some fellow brits lol

njmackem Dec 12th 2017 6:35 pm

I am north central NJ in Union County but I do a lot of work with Real Estate investment in the Monmouth County and Ocean County areas.

Sinyor19 Dec 12th 2017 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by njmackem (Post 12398637)
I am north central NJ in Union County but I do a lot of work with Real Estate investment in the Monmouth County and Ocean County areas.

Nice. I work in Red Bank and live in the old bridge area. Still struggling to meet people and make some friends

njmackem Dec 13th 2017 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Sinyor19 (Post 12398669)
Nice. I work in Red Bank and live in the old bridge area. Still struggling to meet people and make some friends

I know the feeling, it's not like there is a thriving bar scene where you can just go and meet people. The things we normally do for socializing are a little trickier here given how spaced out everything is.

I can count my US friends on my hands that I socialize with anything near frequently. Fortunately I have a fellow Sunderland fan a couple of towns over from me that I can hang out with when needed.

Sinyor19 Dec 13th 2017 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by njmackem (Post 12399088)
I know the feeling, it's not like there is a thriving bar scene where you can just go and meet people. The things we normally do for socializing are a little trickier here given how spaced out everything is.

I can count my US friends on my hands that I socialize with anything near frequently. Fortunately I have a fellow Sunderland fan a couple of towns over from me that I can hang out with when needed.

Ye its tough. Work hasnt got a good social scene. Would love to find local fellow brits who I could at least grab a drink with or watch the footy but cant seem to find any around the area. I know there are lots in Hoboken but thats too far for regular travel. Life is definitely better for me here but socially it sucks.