Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Summit NJ?

Anyone in Summit NJ?

Old Sep 2nd 2017, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Skala123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in Summit NJ?

We are moving to Summit in October and would love to meet some other expats. Kids are 7 and 4 and eldest will be going to Lincoln Hubbard.
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Summit NJ?

Originally Posted by Skala123
We are moving to Summit in October and would love to meet some other expats. Kids are 7 and 4 and eldest will be going to Lincoln Hubbard.
If I remember correctly, there are at least two BE families there - and we stay at the Turkey Hill B+B right down town if I am travelling into NYC.

Steve
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 2:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

There are quite a few BE members in the Summit area. If you use the search engine and search the US forums only...you should come up with their posts.

British Expats - Search Forums
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Welcome to BE.

There are quite a few BE members in the Summit area. If you use the search engine and search the US forums only...you should come up with their posts.

British Expats - Search Forums
There's also the map thingy, but I don't know how currernt that is, which is a shame.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/trail...sa-map-773453/

Last edited by steveq; Sep 3rd 2017 at 2:22 pm. Reason: added link
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks both. Can't seem to find much when I search but I'm totally new to this site so may not brig doubt it quite right. Will wait and see if anyone pops up!
Old Sep 3rd 2017, 2:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both. Can't seem to find much when I search but I'm totally new to this site so may not brig doubt it quite right. Will wait and see if anyone pops up!
Follow the link I gave you in my post. The box on the top left...Search by keyword...type in Summit. Then on the right you will see Search in forums...click to the right and it will show a list of forums. Untick the top one 'Search all open forums'...it is important you do this. Move down the list until you reach US...tick this. Then hit Search Now. It will reveal all posts containing the word Summit.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

JosiesJourney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We are moving to North NJ in October too!! We have looked in Summit but haven't yet found a rental property that suits us so the ones we are viewing are in Glenrock, Ridgewood, Fairlawn - all very close to Summit!

My children are 9, 7 and 3 so similar age to your two. Do you have visa sorted and are you planning to both work out there? Hope all is going well with the planning...we have so much to do before we get on that plane!

J
Old Sep 6th 2017, 5:33 am
Just Joined

Hi! We are moving with my husband's job so they are helping with the visa process but the form filling is unreal!! We have our interviews scheduled for next week so hopefully will get our stamps soon after that. We had our rental application approved yesterday which is great news so just to sign the lease now. I will get an L2 visa so will just need a permit to work if I want to work but have only recently retrained so not sure what I'll do (if anything). Certainly won't be looking to work in the first 6-12 month. How about you?
Can't believe how much there is to do in the next few weeks, it's pretty overwhelming! Are you shipping all your stuff over or buying new?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Looks like we are in very similar positions! We only had the L1 visa approved mid-August and had the interview at the US embassy 2 weeks later....Hoping you got yours approved, it seems just a final stage formality at the embassy.

I have a final week at work then it's full throttle planning and arranging - there is so much to do isn't there! Are you letting your house in the UK? We are just getting all the paperwork sorted for that and have found an agent to manage the rental of our house in the UK. My husband is in NJ just now viewing rentals - weirdly they seem to have wall paper in the kitchens!

I will too have an L2 visa and can apply for an EAD when I get there - will definitely be looking for a job but like you say, not for a few months so I can get the family settled....exciting but getting nervous I will miss people here....when do you expect to move?

Josie
Old Sep 9th 2017, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JosiesJourney
Hi

Looks like we are in very similar positions! We only had the L1 visa approved mid-August and had the interview at the US embassy 2 weeks later....Hoping you got yours approved, it seems just a final stage formality at the embassy.

I have a final week at work then it's full throttle planning and arranging - there is so much to do isn't there! Are you letting your house in the UK? We are just getting all the paperwork sorted for that and have found an agent to manage the rental of our house in the UK. My husband is in NJ just now viewing rentals - weirdly they seem to have wall paper in the kitchens!

I will too have an L2 visa and can apply for an EAD when I get there - will definitely be looking for a job but like you say, not for a few months so I can get the family settled....exciting but getting nervous I will miss people here....when do you expect to move?

Josie
We are taking the house from 27th September which is when my husband will fly out but I will wait another week or two before going out with the kids as the house is unfurnished so want him to get it a bit sorted first.

We have our interviews on Wednesday so fingers crossed all will be ok with visas.

How is the house hunting going? Have you narrowed it down to any areas you especially like?

We are hopefully sorting schools this coming week (the relocation agent won't do anything about that until a lease is signed) so that will be a big step forward for the kids.

When do you expect to be out there? Does your husband have a start date?

I'm hoping to get in touch with the people who sort our air freight this week so I can get to grips with what to pack and how. Starting panic slightly about how much there is to do!
Old Dec 13th 2017, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Oooh I am in Summit!!!! My son is now in middle school but always happy to meet up with ex-pats.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Hi there!
We have had a few expat meet ups recently! have you met any others in the area?
Old Dec 18th 2017, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by JosiesJourney
Hi there!
We have had a few expat meet ups recently! have you met any others in the area?
I met up with some a few years back, but bought a new computer and lost this website in the switchover.

Now I am back I will keep an eye open for the next one!!