Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Any Madison, WI Brits?

Any Madison, WI Brits?

Old Apr 13th 2013, 12:01 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Madison, WI Brits?

Originally Posted by USGirl
I'm from Wisconsin originally, but we didn't move back here until November 2010, after living in Charlotte, NC for about six months. Before that, we lived in Stockport outside of Manchester, for a little over two years. That's where my husband is from. But when I met him in 2007, he'd already been living in the United States, on and off, for six years or so, working for a UK company that needed someone to work over here.

Do you find that you like Wisconsin? My husband was worried about the winters, but actually hasn't minded the snow and cold at all -- and that's saying something this winter! I think I'm more impatient than him for spring (summer, now, almost) to arrive!
Oh, for sure the longer I live here the worse the winters are for me! When I first moved here I LOVED them - they're so different to the UK! Now though, I pretty much hate it every time it snows and I get no sympathy when I complain about it to the folks back home. They don't get it.

I am seriously ready for spring to arrive this year. Like, now. Right now.

What do you guys do in Madison? My husband went there for college so I've spent a fair amount of time there, and even lived in a really terrible house with him for three months after I had graduated in the UK but he was still finishing his senior year. We were there when the Halloween celebrations were still something... epic.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

mrsamullis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!

I'm new to this site and was looking to see if there were any recent threads from Brits in Madison and I was so happy I found one! My husband is British and I'm american and we'd love to meet up with other Brits in the area - we used to live in Dallas, Texas where there was a larger expat community and I'm shocked by how few British we come across here in Madison!
Old Apr 24th 2013, 5:20 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsamullis
Hello!

I'm new to this site and was looking to see if there were any recent threads from Brits in Madison and I was so happy I found one! My husband is British and I'm american and we'd love to meet up with other Brits in the area - we used to live in Dallas, Texas where there was a larger expat community and I'm shocked by how few British we come across here in Madison!

Hi there! We're not quite in Madison, but close enough to travel to. How did you end up there after Texas? New job, or just fancied the change?
Old Apr 24th 2013, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

USGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gingerert
Oh, for sure the longer I live here the worse the winters are for me! When I first moved here I LOVED them - they're so different to the UK! Now though, I pretty much hate it every time it snows and I get no sympathy when I complain about it to the folks back home. They don't get it.

I am seriously ready for spring to arrive this year. Like, now. Right now.

What do you guys do in Madison? My husband went there for college so I've spent a fair amount of time there, and even lived in a really terrible house with him for three months after I had graduated in the UK but he was still finishing his senior year. We were there when the Halloween celebrations were still something... epic.
Sorry it's taken awhile for me to reply! I am 37 weeks pregnant at the moment, and we have two older (but still small) children. So we're quite busy!
I am a writer, and my husband is a computer programmer. What about you and your husband? I enjoy my job, but I definitely am looking forward to maternity leave.
Old Apr 24th 2013, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrsamullis
Hello!

Hi! I'm glad to find an American/British family in Madison! I've really struggled to find British people here as well, which is odd, given that with the university here, I KNOW they exist. I have run into British people a few times out and about. But I can't really say, "Hey! I know nothing about you other than being British. But my husband is British and we'd love to know some fellow Brits, so ... want to be friends?" :P

How long have you been in Madison, and what brought you here? We've been here 2.5 years now and are happily settled. I'm from Wisconsin originally. My husband is from just outside of Manchester. How did you two meet, and have you been over to England?
Old Apr 24th 2013, 8:40 pm
Ginger Monkey

Sorry it's taken awhile for me to reply! I am 37 weeks pregnant at the moment, and we have two older (but still small) children. So we're quite busy!
I am a writer, and my husband is a computer programmer. What about you and your husband? I enjoy my job, but I definitely am looking forward to maternity leave.
Ah yes, the old late-pregnancy drama! Been there!

I'm a writer as well as a full-time editor, and I have three books published. It's cool to meet someone similar! What type of writing do you do? My husband works in some boring office job doing something boring that sends me to sleep when he talks about it, but it's a paycheck. We're actually planning a third baby next year and entertaining the idea that he'll become a stay-at-home dada to all three of our kids. We'll see if we can afford it!

We definitely miss Madison. Maybe when the weather's nice we'll drive up your way and hang out near the lake. That would be fun.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 1:04 am
Just Joined

We moved here for my husbands job he is also a computer programmer, how funny. I'm a stay at home mom to a 1 year old boy and a 4 year old Scottie My husband is from Cheltenham and we try to get back there every year, if we can and I'm originally from Pennsylvania. When we lived in Texas I was in advertising but now I just dabble a bit working for a lab in San Francisco, it is nice because I can work from here a few hours a month while my son naps
Old Apr 27th 2013, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

You've moved around quite a bit, it sounds like! How are you liking Madison? How long have you been here?

This wasn't our first pick for places we'd like to live. We would have preferred the Twin Cities. But this is where I got a job, and we're happy here. It's just that my husband is from the Manchester area, so he was worried he'd find Madison too small. But it really is an active community with a lot going on.

We have a 1-year-old son, too, plus a 4-year-old daughter. Baby No. 3 is arriving any day, so we're quite busy right now! But maybe we can all plan an American/British get-together in Madison this summer!
Old Apr 27th 2013, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gingerert
Ah yes, the old late-pregnancy drama! Been there!

I'm a writer as well as a full-time editor, and I have three books published. It's cool to meet someone similar! What type of writing do you do? My husband works in some boring office job doing something boring that sends me to sleep when he talks about it, but it's a paycheck. We're actually planning a third baby next year and entertaining the idea that he'll become a stay-at-home dada to all three of our kids. We'll see if we can afford it!

We definitely miss Madison. Maybe when the weather's nice we'll drive up your way and hang out near the lake. That would be fun.
We'd love to hang out! It's finally warm enough to enjoy being outside! The kids are loving it! How old are yours? Ours are 4 and 21 months.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 2:03 am
Ginger Monkey

We'd love to hang out! It's finally warm enough to enjoy being outside! The kids are loving it! How old are yours? Ours are 4 and 21 months.
Owen will be four in May, and Jasper is nine months. Not too far removed from yours!

A summer get-together would be great. Let's aim for late June/early July, because suddenly our schedule has become full and we won't have a free weekend until then! (Plus, your newest one will be here and at the perfect snuggling age for baby-obsessed new acquaintances like me. )
Old Apr 28th 2013, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

You've moved around quite a bit, it sounds like! How are you liking Madison? How long have you been here?

This wasn't our first pick for places we'd like to live. We would have preferred the Twin Cities. But this is where I got a job, and we're happy here. It's just that my husband is from the Manchester area, so he was worried he'd find Madison too small. But it really is an active community with a lot going on.

We have a 1-year-old son, too, plus a 4-year-old daughter. Baby No. 3 is arriving any day, so we're quite busy right now! But maybe we can all plan an American/British get-together in Madison this summer!
We are getting used to Madison but I sort of miss Dallas - we've been here for 2 years now, seems crazy we've been here that long already.

We would love to get together this summer for a American/British get together!! Once you are settled with your new little one maybe we could plan something
Old May 7th 2013, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

KMO1986 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, anyone still around?

I'm British too, from Leicester, living in Middleton. My wife is originally from Madison and we've been here since June 2012.
Old May 7th 2013, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KMO1986

I'm British too, from Leicester, living in Middleton. My wife is originally from Madison and we've been here since June 2012.

Still here, although down Hwy 151 in Dubuque, IA.

Jim
Old May 7th 2013, 3:26 pm
Ginger Monkey

Originally Posted by KMO1986

Hi there! Your first year immigration anniversary is coming up, I see. Congratulations!
Old May 11th 2013, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Dotty15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we are an English family relocating to Brookfield, Wisconsin in July. I would be really interested to speak to anyone who can give me any advice. Having spent a couple of weeks there over Easter, I get the feeling people in Wisconsin don't hear too many English accents! Everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.