Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Any Brits on the westside of LA ?- Culver city area?

Any Brits on the westside of LA ?- Culver city area?

Old Dec 13th 2018, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Spenser is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Brits on the westside of LA ?- Culver city area?

I am originally from Essex and have lived in LA for the past 30 years - I am now 57 years old. I am interested in talking to people from Britain who are considering moving back - I am considering staying in England for 3 months a year initially and then eventually moving back full time if that works. Would love to get some advice about how all of that works

thanks

David
Old Dec 19th 2018, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brits on the westside of LA ?- Culver city area?

I'm in SoCal, been in CA by accident for 20 years. Same age.

Actually been dying to go home but my business keeps me here. I've been thinking sporadically of how to run it from the UK.
Thinking of going back in maybe three years as long as all the political shenanigans have calmed down.

Of course part of me thinks it may be a bad idea giving up CA for the UK. But it would make it easier for Me and Mrs H. to visit Europe.
In addition she'd like to get British citizenship.
I worry that Scotland will seem too parochial and that I'll miss the CA coast.
Could always come back though..

Last edited by Hotscot; Dec 19th 2018 at 4:12 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

You'd have to be crazy to want to move back to the UK right now surely?
Old Dec 19th 2018, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

If you read what I wrote notaclue you will see that I am considering moving there for 3-4 months a year for a number of years and then decide later in life if I would like to live there full time. I don’t think I am “crazy” as you so kindly put it to considered keeping an eye out for a property as I understand that the Bank of England believes that if there is a hard brexit the pound will drop 20% and house prices 30% so it may be a great opportunity to get a place in England.
As I get older I do miss the culture, countryside, my family more than I used too. I am not going to be working there - merely retiring
Old Dec 19th 2018, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I'm in SoCal, been in CA by accident for 20 years. Same age.

Actually been dying to go home but my business keeps me here. I've been thinking sporadically of how to run it from the UK.
Thinking of going back in maybe three years as long as all the political shenanigans have calmed down.

Of course part of me thinks it may be a bad idea giving up CA for the UK. But it would make it easier for Me and Mrs H. to visit Europe.
In addition she'd like to get British citizenship.
I worry that Scotland will seem too parochial and that I'll miss the CA coast.
Could always come back though..

Thank you for your thoughts. I have lived here 30 years Hotscot and been going home 2-4 weeks a year every year - so I still feel British although I am probably a bit of a mutt now.
Never really thought of having a house there until now I guess it’s an age thing and wanting to be closer to my family. If I can pull it off I would like to get a small place there and keep my house in LA and for 10 years or so split my time between both then decide where I would like to spend my old age - I have a feeling it will be England as LA is getting very crowded.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I think we're on the same wavelength.
I make good money here but I want the UK culture.

I'm too busy to think about it seriously just now though so I'll wait a while.
Old Jan 19th 2019, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Albert_dock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Spencer, My wife and also plan on returning back to the UK in the next 5-6 years. We too have been in LA for 30 years and are now in Woodland Hills. Like you we have loved living here but it’s just too big and crowded and fancy downsizing a bit. There’s some great information on these forums and I’ve learned a lot. I think my biggest concern is the tax situation on returning. Still trying to get my head around that 🙄 Would be interested to hear how you get on with your plans.