Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Virginia???

Any Brits in Virginia???

Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:59 am
Saxon

TerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really nice
Default Re: Any Brits in Virginia???

Originally Posted by martian1
Got a job offer to move to north virginia you guys like it then ? Need to make my mind up soon.. we were thinking about moving to the chesterfield area anyone live here.
You really want to commute daily to NOVA from Chesterfield County? That's a hell of a drive each way. You might want to consider Fredericksburg and points north, rather than south of Richmond, as nice as it is down here.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:16 am
Just Joined

pompylin is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Any Brits in Virginia???

Yes, I live in Northern VA and have just joined this site. I am looking for other fellow brits in the area for friendship.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:26 am
Just Joined

martian1 is an unknown quantity at this point

If i make it over to Virginia the 1st thing to sort is a pc to keep in contact and hopefully meet up for a beer or 2...lot of people on here in the same boat the biggest issue for us is our son giving up his mates over here..tough and it hurts.
Commute will be from the richmond area to prince george county

Last edited by martian1; Aug 10th 2010 at 12:29 am.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

lynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant future

If i make it over to Virginia the 1st thing to sort is a pc to keep in contact and hopefully meet up for a beer or 2...lot of people on here in the same boat the biggest issue for us is our son giving up his mates over here..tough and it hurts.
yes it will be hard for your son to leave his mates, but he'll make new one especially with an English accent..It would be nice if a few of us could meet up for a beer or two.when do you have to decide on the move? and how is your wife feeling about it now.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:57 am
Just Joined

Crunch time is fastly approaching had to apply for role prior relocation package details being sent, should get it this week. I have tried to express our concerns with the changes from 2yrs assignment but i think i am wasting my time..decision needs to be made soon.
Yes a meeting would be great if it works out lyn
Old Aug 10th 2010, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

We came here ( Vienna,va) with my husbands job - initially on a 2 year contract, but now a year in , they have got us all Green cards, and made him permanent over here. Our 20 year old son followed us over here to live - and has made lots of friends - they love his accent ! Its just like moving anywhere - it takes time to get to know new friends. Our 2 girls are finishing uni in the UK and will then come over to join us too. The only thing they struggle with is not being able to go to bars until they are 21 - they have been used to their independance at 18 in the UK - but I dont personally think that this is a bad thing having seen the state that teenagers get into in the UK after a night out clubbing. Good luck with the decision - I know its not an easy one to make. We just decided it would be a good experience for the family - after all, if they dont like it they can always go back to the UK, but at least they enjoyed a new experience.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Katy, we just got our head around coming for 2yrs then they move goalposts and say its relocation. A lot to take in in a month. Yes the experience is the main reason we wanted to give it a try but my worry is once the deal done no job back home if it's not working out...this was a clause in the original job we liked as it wasn't such a gamble.
If we come home without jobs we would be a lot worse off then when we left ! Good jobs hard to come by in the uk.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:09 pm
Saxon

TerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really nice

That's more like it - that's south of Richmond, so you'll avoid the traffic. Chesterfield's a good choice for you, in that case, and the family will soon find themselves at home here.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

cheers
Old Aug 11th 2010, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

lynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant future

cheers
yea come to chesterfield we could use more Brits and i could introduce you to a lot as well.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 2:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by katybluewater
Hi Dewey - I have just signed up for the DC meetups, and cant wait to go along to one and meet you all!
I just signed uo for the DC meetups too, waiting to get a confirmation. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pompylin
I just signed uo for the DC meetups too, waiting to get a confirmation. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
you a plymouth supporter pomplin?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynfleet
you a plymouth supporter pomplin?
No, Pompy (Portsmouth/Southsea). Most of my family are there, a few Northerners near Warrington in Cheshire too.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pompylin
No, Pompy (Portsmouth/Southsea). Most of my family are there, a few Northerners near Warrington in Cheshire too.
really i'm from Stockport. how long have you been here?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynfleet
really i'm from Stockport. how long have you been here?
sorry i was thinking of my dad and his visits to Plymouth i meant to write portsmouth lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.