British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Meet-ups (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/)
-   -   Any brits in south east Michigan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/any-brits-south-east-michigan-854511/)

fowler4292 Mar 14th 2015 6:39 pm

Any brits in south east Michigan

now the -26 weather is out of the way, i wondered whether there are any brits living in south east Michigan (ann arbor area)?

FatFrank Mar 22nd 2015 8:26 pm

Re: Any brits in south east Michigan

We are in Bloomfield/Birmingham area but there are plenty, probably more than I can count, in Ann Arbor. I'm surprised you're not tripping over them whenever you go out of the house!

NatashaB Mar 23rd 2015 5:08 pm

We're in Farmington Hills...

BritInMI Mar 23rd 2015 5:59 pm

Hi, we've just moved here! Currently staying in Troy but planning to house hunt in the Birmingham/Bloomfield area.

Sorry to hijack your thread a little bit but I found it searching for advice online. I'm looking for information/recommendations for an ob/gyn and hospital for having a baby here. Can anyone shed any light at all. It is so different from the NHS I am confronted with lists of in-network hospitals and physicians on my insurers website and no idea where to start!

NatashaB Mar 23rd 2015 6:06 pm

Your OB will only have delivering privileges at certain hospitals. So if you want to deliver in a certain place, you will need to find an OB who delivers there. Conversely, if you want to use a certain OB, you will need to deliver at whichever hospitals they work out of.

I really like Dr Gruskin in Farmington Hills (West Oakland OBGYN), she delivered my son. She delivers out of Beaumont in Royal Oak, which I thought was pretty good (but after the NHS, maybe I was just impressed at getting my own room and having a menu to order from!). We did a delivery suite tour and the parenting classes there. Other options (maybe not quite as close to you in Birmingham as they are to me) that other people I know have used - U of M, Henry Ford, and Botsford. If you google a doctors name you will usually find some reviews on them on Yelp and webmd as a starting point. Usually the practise will have a website which tells you which hospitals the OBs work out of and which insurances they take. If you can find a local mums site for Birmingham/Bloomfield on Facebook I'm sure people there can give you some recommendations too.

Are you pregnant already? Do you already have a GP for your primary care? They will be able to recommend someone.

BritInMI Mar 23rd 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks Natasha! That's really helpful. Yes, I am pregnant already, but only 6 weeks and have not yet seen a doctor. I fear I may be on the verge of miscarrying though, so I am trying to do my research quickly and not in the most relaxed, clear headed frame of mind! I have no GP either (we literally arrived a few days ago). I thought (wrongly it seems!) that you went straight to an ob/gyn for thing pregnancy related rather than to a GP, hence my question. But perhaps I need to focus on finding a GP first.

NatashaB Mar 23rd 2015 6:17 pm

I would go straight to an OB. Unless your insurance says otherwise (unlikely in the case of pregnancy) you wouldn't need to get a referral or go via your GP, just that they may be able to recommend someone. I hope everything works out OK for you, I had untold scares when I was pregnant (my son was fine) and i can still remember that worry. I think most OBs have an ultrasound machine in their office (I know mine does) so they will hopefully be able to let you know what's going on pretty quickly.

This was a really good thread to read through:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...g-baby-704109/

BritInMI Mar 24th 2015 6:18 pm

Thanks for your help yesterday Natasha. I ended up in the ER at Beaumont in Royal Oak and am now resting at home. Fingers crossed all will be well and I will look into your suggestions for delivery.

NatashaB Mar 24th 2015 7:46 pm

Glad to hear you got checked out. Rest up.

DrWooWoo Apr 10th 2015 4:59 am

Just moved to MI - we're in Rochester. Nice to see that there are others nearby!

HandyNickerholes Jul 14th 2015 12:51 pm

Welcome noobs to MI! Been here a while. Please let me know if I can help you get to know the area. We are well connected!

FatFrank Aug 23rd 2015 5:46 pm

With all these Brits close to us we are going to need to organize a party!!!!