British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Meet-ups (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/)
-   -   Any Brits out there in North Idaho / Spokane WA area? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/any-brits-out-there-north-idaho-spokane-wa-area-934841/)

Idahogirl Sep 16th 2020 5:16 am

Any Brits out there in North Idaho / Spokane WA area?

Hi, I’ve been living in N Idaho for 8 years now.
Looking to meet more Brits!🇬🇧

Floridablues Sep 20th 2020 9:02 pm

Re: Any Brits out there in North Idaho / Spokane WA area?

4 days since you posted so I guess there's not many Brits in that neck of the woods! I was in Idaho this time last year and was due to be there again about now, but due to the virus my visits on hold! My father retired there close to Twin Falls and I went to scatter his ashes at his favourite fishing lake, and arranged to go back to help with some updates on the home. He was born near Spokane and was over in Blighty at a US air force base back in the 50s. Hope to get out there early next year. If you haven't yet visited, I found Boise a lovely place for a day out. I guess you're up in the Couer D alene area which I have seen.

Kooky. Sep 21st 2020 9:41 pm

I don't know about Idaho but there is a FB group for Brits in WA.

carlrush Nov 8th 2020 7:29 pm

I’m down in Boise but I don’t think everyone realizes it’s a good 8 hours from here to N Idaho!

There are a few Brits living here but I’ve found that it’s such a friendly place it’s been easy to integrate.

(I must be considered a local because they all grumble to me about the number of people moving here from CA!)

oxford_gal Apr 27th 2021 9:50 pm

Hi! I moved to Boise in August last year from the UK.
I have found it hard to meet people since I moved and it would be great to get in touch with some Brits in the area.

Floridablues Apr 27th 2021 11:22 pm

Just received email update as I replied to the original poster, and I can imagine your dilemma with meeting fellow Brits in Idaho. I've been there a few times, first back in the late 90s as my father retired to the Twin Falls region. I was last there 2 years ago to scatter his ashes with my stepmother in their favourite fishing lake. I had planned to be there last year to help with exterior maintenance/painting on the home but covid put an end to that! Hope I can be there this summer to help out. I did enjoy dining out in Boise as I arrived and departed around the river front area and a visit to a lovely craft brewery. Back in Twin Falls region there is a fabulous scenic restaurant overlooking the river canyon close to where Evil Knevil made his jump back in the 70s. I've been in central Florida for the past 18 years after leaving the UK but now considering selling up and eventually ending up at the family home in Idaho...weather permitting! If you would like to meet up, if we decide to come, drop me a message and I'll message back when we have a date fixed!

AnUlstermaninIdaho Apr 30th 2021 3:59 pm

Wow, this is a pretty amazing coincidence but I just created my BE account with very little hope that there would be fellow Brits around North Idaho but, lo and behold, this was still the first post on the ‘meet-ups’ section. I’ve just arrived here about 6 months ago (there was a delay due to this Covid thing you might have heard of) but thankfully, I’m finally here. May I ask where specifically you are located? I’m stationed here in Moscow (so north-ish Idaho, I guess). Feel free to PM me if you’d prefer.

carlrush May 5th 2021 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by oxford_gal (Post 13000037)
Hi! I moved to Boise in August last year from the UK.
I have found it hard to meet people since I moved and it would be great to get in touch with some Brits in the area.

I also hadn't been on here for a while and got the notification...we're all coming out the woodwork!

This is stating the obvious but it's got to be harder to meet people during a pandemic. There are a few of us Brits in Boise (if I think back over the years I've probably met a dozen) but I've never met one who had an ex-pat community or wanted to create one. I think the main reason is that once it's open, it's a really friendly place and people will stop and talk to you.

The other issue is that Idaho has had the largest % of inbound migration in the US in the past year. I've met plenty of people where I work who have moved here recently (usually from California or Washington) and haven't managed to meet people during lockdown. I really hope when it opens back up fully that the "locals" will show everyone who has arrived what a warm, safe and friendly place it is. You will be at an advantage with you British accent and will find people grumbling to you about Californians moving here!

I realize I write this from a position of being married to someone who grew up here and has family & friends still here so that gives me a head start. I also have kids which puts you in contact with lots of other parents (for good or bad...mostly good!). If there's anything specific you want to know or if I can help, please feel free to DM me.

Maslacak May 27th 2021 10:34 pm

I just created this account to say Hello!
My husband, our little daughter and I moved to Boise 3 days ago. My husband is Geordie and I am Serbian. Previously we lived in Portland for a few years and never met any of his countrymen. Will tell him after he comes from work that there are a few of his people here. Cheers!!

HellyFrancis Apr 25th 2022 3:07 pm

I know this is a long-shot as the original post was a while ago. Moving to the CDA area next month. My husband and I have been living in Utah (we moved from London) for the past six years, but his job is moving to Kellogg.Just checking to see if you’re still in the northern Idaho area?

DerbyDee Jul 1st 2022 12:42 am

Originally Posted by HellyFrancis (Post 13110169)
I know this is a long-shot as the original post was a while ago. Moving to the CDA area next month. My husband and I have been living in Utah (we moved from London) for the past six years, but his job is moving to Kellogg.Just checking to see if you’re still in the northern Idaho area?

Hi, I live in Spokane and go to CDA and the surrounding area quite often. There are quite a few expats in Spokane

morpeth Jul 1st 2022 7:11 am

Originally Posted by DerbyDee (Post 13126127)
Hi, I live in Spokane and go to CDA and the surrounding area quite often. There are quite a few expats in Spokane

There are some Expats in Coeur d' Alene though doesn't seem to be any formal 'meet ups'. If you haven'y visited teh charming small town of Wallace Idaho worth a visit.

Cvonstap Apr 16th 2023 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 13126165)
There are some Expats in Coeur d' Alene though doesn't seem to be any formal 'meet ups'. If you haven'y visited teh charming small town of Wallace Idaho worth a visit.

Hellooo,
Have all of you guys found the ‘New Brits in Spokane’ Facebook group? It’s a private group (just need to request to join).
I’ve been in Spokane 18 mths, the group is a mix of Brit’s living in Spokane, Coeur De Lane (and in between & a cpl i’ve met in surrounding areas).
It’s been a very welcoming group. There’s a monthly (could be bi monthly) lunch meetup in either CDA, Post Falls, Spokane. I’ve been to two of the lunches recently and really enjoyed them.

morpeth Apr 16th 2023 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Cvonstap (Post 13186750)
Hellooo,
Have all of you guys found the ‘New Brits in Spokane’ Facebook group? It’s a private group (just need to request to join).
I’ve been in Spokane 18 mths, the group is a mix of Brit’s living in Spokane, Coeur De Lane (and in between & a cpl i’ve met in surrounding areas).
It’s been a very welcoming group. There’s a monthly (could be bi monthly) lunch meetup in either CDA, Post Falls, Spokane. I’ve been to two of the lunches recently and really enjoyed them.

Try the upstairs restaurant at the Coeur d'Alene resort, phenomenal view.