Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Any Brits in the Melbourne, Florida area?

Any Brits in the Melbourne, Florida area?

Old Jan 16th 2013, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

JoJensen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Brits in the Melbourne, Florida area?

Hi all. I have just recently moved to the Melbourne, Florida area and was wondering if there are any fellow Brits around this area?
Old Feb 16th 2013, 11:28 am
Just Joined

jannereeves is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Brits in the Melbourne, Florida area?

I would be there next week
Old Feb 16th 2013, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Hi! I'm not british but I'd like to call myself an honorary brit after having lived there for 10+ years... We live about 2 hours south of you so a bit far. But I'm curious about the area! Met someone else who lives there, on the ocean side, and they say it's really laid back with a lot of surfer types... is this true? Where we live there are too many snobby people! But the schools are good and we have family here. Do you have kids? We have 2 girls, almost 3 and almost 5. The older one used to have a very cute british accent but it's all gone now after 1.5 years...
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

My family and I have been living here since October last year. I am British, my husband is American we have a 17 and 14 year old. We are actually renting 'Shore Side' at the moment but are hoping to perhaps buy a house on the 'Beach side', nearer the kid's school in Satellite Beach.
This area does seem laid back. I am not sure if it is a good or bad thing as I haven't lived anywhere else here so cannot compare. We have been out to a few riverside bar/resaurants which all seem to have live music which is quite nice, but I can't help but wonder whether Tampa, being a city would have more going on? It seems more Brits gravitate over that side.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Interesting... Haven't been to Tampa either but would love to go! Don't buy a house unless you're sure you want to stay in the area. But I guess if your kids are happy and settled that's a good reason to stay, until they're both off to college!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

We have a 17 and 14 yr old too. Living in Gainesville, FL. Never been to Melbourne,driven past that way a couple of times.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

I think if the kids were younger, you could perhaps think about trying different areas, if of course there was a job available. When they get to teenagers, you just want them to have some stability. We were Ex-pats in the Middle East before we came here and just felt it was time that we found somewhere more permanent as there would have been no way they would be going on to university over there.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes I understand... that's why we'd like to find somewhere to feel really settled, before our kids are older!

Hi Welshgator, what's Gainesville like?

We are living in the southern part of Palm Beach County. Nice & green, a bit snobby, good schools. That pretty much sums it up... Would probably be staying here if it wasn't for the fact that I need a job and I can't seem to get one around here! There might be some jobs for me in Jacksonville or Tampa but I have no idea if we would like it there. Or we might have to move out of state, maybe this summer. (I was working in international banking when we lived in London.)
Old Feb 20th 2013, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slummymummy
Yes I understand... that's why we'd like to find somewhere to feel really settled, before our kids are older!

Hi Welshgator, what's Gainesville like?

We are living in the southern part of Palm Beach County. Nice & green, a bit snobby, good schools. That pretty much sums it up... Would probably be staying here if it wasn't for the fact that I need a job and I can't seem to get one around here! There might be some jobs for me in Jacksonville or Tampa but I have no idea if we would like it there. Or we might have to move out of state, maybe this summer. (I was working in international banking when we lived in London.)
Hi, Gainesville is great to bring up a family. Lots of sports stuff, good schools close to us for all grades that our kids have been through. Wish we were a little closer to the ocean but we have nice springs around here. Gets hot and humid in the summer and there is no ocean breeze to make things a little easier. We live a few miles west of I75 near Jonesville. Gainesville is not too large a city so there's few traffic problems. I go to work off peak hours anyway. Taxes are a little high since the city and county commission love to squander money it seems. There's a new bank HQ building out in Jonesville don't remember which one it is but it's not one of the international ones, might be Campus Credit Union thinking about it. We live in a nice neighborhood with a park adjacent but we are about the only ones who actually get out and walk. You would swear we didn't have neighbors at all.
Never cared much for the center of Jax, seems like a lot of traffic. Some nice areas out near the beaches though - Atlantic Beach and some state parks we have camped out at over there.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

heather123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are in Palm Bay so only about 15 mins from Melbourne. We moved over from Scotland 4 months ago
Old Oct 8th 2013, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by heather123
Hi we are in Palm Bay so only about 15 mins from Melbourne. We moved over from Scotland 4 months ago
How are you settling in? We have been here almost a year now. We have bought a house, so each day it's feeling more like home.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

heather123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are settling in well. We too have bought a house so it's now starting to feel like a home. I have two kids aged 15 & 13 and I must say they have settled in great and are loving school and all the new friends they have made, I think they feel like little celebrities as all the kids want to get to know them and hang around with them. What bought u to Brevard county? I also feel the area very laid back no one ever seems to be in a rush to do anything!! That takes a bit of getting used to especially when you are used to getting things done ASAP. It is nice to know we have some fellow Brits in the area. We are originally from Edinburgh in Scotland and had been coming to the states for around 10 years now but we finally got the chance to move out here and we are loving it
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by heather123
Hi we are settling in well. We too have bought a house so it's now starting to feel like a home. I have two kids aged 15 & 13 and I must say they have settled in great and are loving school and all the new friends they have made, I think they feel like little celebrities as all the kids want to get to know them and hang around with them. What bought u to Brevard county? I also feel the area very laid back no one ever seems to be in a rush to do anything!! That takes a bit of getting used to especially when you are used to getting things done ASAP. It is nice to know we have some fellow Brits in the area. We are originally from Edinburgh in Scotland and had been coming to the states for around 10 years now but we finally got the chance to move out here and we are loving it
I was actually born in Glasgow ( dad is Scottish mum is English), we moved to England when I was eight. We were actually in Bahrain before we came here. My husband, who is American is a contractor and it was just really a case that it was time to move on from there. Our kids are 15 and 17 so they also needed to be somewhere where they could have a future . It just happened to be Brevard County as that's where my husband got a job. There are quite a few Brits here. We have a group that meets on the last Saturday of each month. If you go on Facebook it is called 'The professional Brits of Brevard". Check it out!