British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Meet-ups (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/)
-   -   Any Brits on Long Island or NY? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/any-brits-long-island-ny-914071/)

dhannigan Jun 18th 2018 8:53 pm

Any Brits on Long Island or NY?

Lived on Long Island for 22 years, married to a local lady. Originally from just south of Croydon. Looking to meet any local Brits or join any good groups. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Kat.M Jun 11th 2020 8:31 pm

Re: Any Brits on Long Island or NY?

I realise this is a late post Lol, but I’m from Bromley and I’m in Long Island (just found this site)

dhannigan Jun 13th 2020 7:41 pm

Better late than never! I’m still on Long Island. If you would like to meet for a drink when conditions allow. Which town are you in?

Kat.M Jun 13th 2020 11:01 pm

Hiya, Yeah sounds good, did you find any groups? I’m in Suffolk county, near Babylon. Been here on and off for 3 years, but married and moved permanently in November. Found a supermarket in Sayville that sells English goods like Branstons and HP sauce...for a high price. Where about are you?

dhannigan Jun 14th 2020 12:33 pm

I actually live about a mile away from that Stop and Shop in Holbrook. Was there yesterday getting HP sauce and an insanely expensive small pot of Marmite!

kellymcdonnell Mar 22nd 2021 11:32 am

Hi new to Long Island!

Scott33 Mar 23rd 2021 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by dhannigan (Post 12866768)
I actually live about a mile away from that Stop and Shop in Holbrook. Was there yesterday getting HP sauce and an insanely expensive small pot of Marmite!

I work out of one of the FBOs in MacArthur Airport, and live a few miles to the west in Suffolk Co.

Scott33 Mar 23rd 2021 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by kellymcdonnell (Post 12986333)
Hi new to Long Island!

Hope you like paying property taxes :yield:

Welcome.

steveq Apr 2nd 2021 12:49 am

Yeah, that's why I backed out of a new job there last year. I needed a huge increment to handle their property taxes, and it wasn't forthcoming.

Scott33 Apr 2nd 2021 11:00 am

Originally Posted by steveq (Post 12990393)
Yeah, that's why I backed out of a new job there last year. I needed a huge increment to handle their property taxes, and it wasn't forthcoming.

About a grand a month for something modest. Have seen it at least double that.

AlexandraPel Jun 1st 2021 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kat.M (Post 12865385)
I realise this is a late post Lol, but I’m from Bromley and I’m in Long Island (just found this site)

I’m from Bromley too!! Sorry, late to the convo...

longislandtaffy Oct 29th 2021 7:24 pm

I'm a Brit. Wife is a native New Yorker. Been back and forth a couple of times between NY and North Wales over the years, but settling back into life in Port Jefferson again now. Hoping to stay for good this time.

Seems like this thread doesn't get replies to often but if you see this feel free to say hello.

Cheers,

Nick

Scott33 Oct 29th 2021 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by longislandtaffy (Post 13066692)
Been back and forth a couple of times between NY and North Wales over the years, but settling back into life in Port Jefferson again now.

I love Port Jeff. I used to take the ferry over to Bridgeport for a previous job, but these days It’s just the occasional visit for the occasional pub crawl.

Small world.

Rete Oct 30th 2021 5:43 pm

I know there are several members here who live in Brooklyn. I know not "the Island" but close enough for a get together.

Rowanmother Nov 4th 2021 11:27 am

My best friend is from Yorkshire, and I’m from Manchester. I also have found another Brit we are all in Levittown, bethpage and babylon. There’s a few of us here. I was at the gym in deer park and bumped into a lovely bloke from near my old end.