British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Meet-ups (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/)
-   -   Any Brits in the Idaho area? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/any-brits-idaho-area-849494/)

Marty360 Dec 27th 2014 3:17 am

Any Brits in the Idaho area?

Been here two months now with my wife (US citizen) and newborn daughter. I don't have any of my own friends here and don't really know how to make friends any more.

I moved from Bradford, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom and would be interested in meeting up with any Brit (or American) in the Idaho area.

I don't drive or work yet (currently adjusting status), so we could meet up for a couple of drinks if you know a decent bar. Or something else, I'm easy going!

Comment or PM me! :)

Jamesy1979 Jan 28th 2015 12:09 am

Re: Any Brits in the Idaho area?

Hello mate, how're you? I'm James, have been living in Pocatello, Idaho for ten years... Probably would've gotten less time for murder... Anyway, drop me a line if you want...

Marty360 Jan 28th 2015 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Jamesy1979 (Post 11547332)
Hello mate, how're you? I'm James, have been living in Pocatello, Idaho for ten years... Probably would've gotten less time for murder... Anyway, drop me a line if you want...

Didn't think anyone would reply to this! Haha, is that a stab at Pocatello or Idaho? I'm liking it here (Nampa) at the moment, lots of open space.
Submitting the paperwork for AOS tomorrow (been waiting on forms), how long did it take you to reach different stages of the process?

Jamesy1979 Jan 28th 2015 2:10 pm

I suppose it is a bit of a stab... 'Twas in jest though... I'm used to living in London, and after ten years I'm still not used to the small town thing. For me, when I first came over, before I got my full green card I had a temporary work permit... I got that after being here for six months. My social security card took a little longer, my wife and I ended up going to the senators office and he hurried it along. I think we waited another three months on top of the six, went to the senators office and had the social security card within a fortnight. How long have you been waiting for yours? Would you rather text back and forth rather than going through here? If so I shall message you my number.

Marty360 Jan 28th 2015 5:20 pm

Ah, I'm from Yorkshire so I'm a bit more used to the small town kinda thing.

We've just sent off the paperwork today via overnight. Hopefully there won't be any mistakes, we were rather meticulous about it. Guess we will know when they get it via text.

Did you have any trouble staying past the 90 days with a pending application?

If they take longer than 5 month I will be going places to get stuff sorted, as 5 month is the maximum wait for the Arizona office where we filed. Hopefully there's no delays though, I don't feel right not working. That's why I'm cleaning, fixing things, cooking, looking after my daughter whilst we live with the mother in law; just to feel useful. Kinda at a loss without a job or being able to drive.

I don't have a US number at the moment, if I can still add that and chat over WhatsApp that would be fine fella.

Jamesy1979 Jan 28th 2015 5:39 pm

Didn't have any problems staying... I think that we filed an extension to my visa... I'll take a look through my paperwork and check for you. For some reason I can't send you a personal message yet, apparently I have to post in other forums before I can... Anyways, my number is 2087059612, I've got whatsapp on my phone. I hear you about not working... That was awful. I kept myself busy doing the housework like you... I also did a bit of carpentry too in my father in laws workshop, made the missus a few pieces of furniture. It helped to kill the time. For the most part though, getting my green card and social security number was a doddle... The waiting was the worst part. Feel free to message me anytime, I'm off of work for the time being, had a car crash whilst I was at work, messed my back up a bit. I'm kinda missing the NHS, by now I'd have had MRI'S and the doctors would have a bit more of an idea what's wrong... I suppose that's a bit of a warning for you... The workmans compensation thing over here has quite a bit of red tape to deal with!

ukneel Sep 23rd 2015 6:38 am

Hey mate, I'm Neel. I have been living in Boise for the past 5 years, not too far away from you (that is if you are still around). Anyway, give me a shout if you want to connect.

ScallyfaxDale Oct 5th 2015 9:27 am

Didn't expect to see many Yorkshiremen in ID! I'm from Halifax myself, moving to Eagle in March 2016. If you still check this site, drop me a PM!

Ross

Marty360 Jan 9th 2016 3:59 am

Originally Posted by ukneel (Post 11755666)
Hey mate, I'm Neel. I have been living in Boise for the past 5 years, not too far away from you (that is if you are still around). Anyway, give me a shout if you want to connect.

Hey fella! Was just Googling expats and forgot about this post! I'm actually working in Boise now, life is different now. I'm still around. Hit me up if you wanna text or anything. Be nice to know a fellow Brit!

Marty360 Jan 9th 2016 4:03 am

Originally Posted by ScallyfaxDale (Post 11764908)
Didn't expect to see many Yorkshiremen in ID! I'm from Halifax myself, moving to Eagle in March 2016. If you still check this site, drop me a PM!

Ross

If you still check this, I've messaged you fella!

ukneel Feb 20th 2016 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Marty360 (Post 11832322)
Hey fella! Was just Googling expats and forgot about this post! I'm actually working in Boise now, life is different now. I'm still around. Hit me up if you wanna text or anything. Be nice to know a fellow Brit!

Hey good to hear from you. My number is 2085156481. Shoot me a text or whatsapp me.

Smartyy Jul 3rd 2016 6:58 pm

I'm moving to Meridian from Oxfordshire I the next couple of months if my K visa gets approved.

Be good to meet you guys if you're still around the area or still check this but I'll let you guys know nearer the time!

amydls Feb 17th 2017 7:04 am

Another one from Yorkshire just south of you guys in UT!

UKzeus Dec 10th 2017 7:09 pm

Just got back into this forum as I’ve been in Boise now 12 years, still miss some parts of the Suffolk coast line but just love the climate here

Floridablues Dec 11th 2017 2:32 pm

Is that Suffolk UK as thats where i'm from prior to moving to Florida 15 years ago.
I've visited Idaho a few times as that's where the US side of my family lives, near Twin Falls. Can't say i'd love the winters there though!