British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Meet-ups (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/)
-   -   Any Brits in Fort Lauderdale (https://britishexpats.com/forum/meet-ups-112/any-brits-fort-lauderdale-894475/)

vkoppelman Mar 26th 2017 11:42 am

Any Brits in Fort Lauderdale

Hi there I will be moving from the UK Berkshire to the US in July for work and would like to meet up with other Brits for going out. If there are any meet up groups please let me know.

Also looking for reasonably priced shipping company to move some of my belongings including furniture - door to door. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Many thanks ;-)

sarahusa Jun 10th 2017 2:31 pm

Re: Any Brits in Fort Lauderdale

Originally Posted by vkoppelman (Post 12213351)
Hi there I will be moving from the UK Berkshire to the US in July for work and would like to meet up with other Brits for going out. If there are any meet up groups please let me know.

Also looking for reasonably priced shipping company to move some of my belongings including furniture - door to door. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Many thanks ;-)

Hi, we live in Fort Lauderdale for part of the year, I don't know of any groups that meet up but happy to guide you
and help out

kirstyp Jun 13th 2017 11:15 am

Hello :)

Firstly welcome to BE and good luck with the move, this is a great place to make connections!

A great place to start for shipping is to check out FIDI website for a list of FAIM certified international removal companies that serve your area to make sure whoever you're using is fully qualified, licensed and independently vetted for overseas moving. It's always a good idea to get at least 3 quotes to allow you to compare and make sure you're getting the best solutions for you.

There are lots more tips about choosing reputable removals companies and your different options over on our vendor forum for International Removals advice. Hope it helps!

Kirsty :)

Steve_ Jun 14th 2017 6:53 am

There used to be loads of Brits in Ft Lauderdale but a lot of them were there illegally so over the years they have faded away due to various crackdowns. After 9/11, Florida started requiring people to show lawful presence to get a DL so that stopped a lot of people and REAL ID made it even harder to get ID.

I remember I had a neighbour who was Belgian, they basically retired to Fort Lauderdale, they went back to Belgium for one of their kid's wedding and were denied entry on the way back.

Also the skyrocketing cost of healthcare has put a lot of people off even if they were in the country legally.

I got the impression a lot of them moved to Spain so what Brexit will do I'm not sure.

IrishBrazilian Jul 28th 2017 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 12272727)
There used to be loads of Brits in Ft Lauderdale but a lot of them were there illegally so over the years they have faded away due to various crackdowns. After 9/11, Florida started requiring people to show lawful presence to get a DL so that stopped a lot of people and REAL ID made it even harder to get ID.

I remember I had a neighbour who was Belgian, they basically retired to Fort Lauderdale, they went back to Belgium for one of their kid's wedding and were denied entry on the way back.

Also the skyrocketing cost of healthcare has put a lot of people off even if they were in the country legally.

I got the impression a lot of them moved to Spain so what Brexit will do I'm not sure.

Could not say it better!!!!! ;);)

Tottenham Steve Jan 16th 2018 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 12272727)

We had like 5 British pubs at one time. There are 2 the Fox and Hounds and Kings head Sunrise left. 2 British food stores.

A lot of the guys worked on building sites, didn't have green cards, after 9/11 had to leave.