Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Dublin/Pleasanton CA

Any Brits in Dublin/Pleasanton CA

Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

BayAreaNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Brits in Dublin/Pleasanton CA

Hi, I have just moved from Scotland to Dublin CA 5 weeks ago with my husband (who works in San Francisco) and my two boys ages 7 and 5.

Its proving to be a bit of an adjustment for me and as I don't have a visa that allows me to work I am missing adult conversation, especially with people who know what its like to relocate somewhere you don't know anyone.

I was wondering is there are any Brits out there in the area who would like to meet up for a chat maybe?

thanks

Pauline
Old May 10th 2014, 1:26 am
Just Joined

ED99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Brits in Dublin/Pleasanton CA

Hi Pauline,

I'm in a very similar situation! It's a bit of a nightmare isn't it?

I am also from Scotland. My husband and I moved to San Francisco in October last year for his job and I'm not able to work either.

I'd love to meet up for a chat. I'll send you a PM with my mobile number.

Erin
Old May 10th 2014, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Hi Erin,

Great to hear from you. I would live to meet up for a chat.

I have only just joined this site so I can't access PM's until I have made three posts I think, so PM your number and I will access it as soon as I can and I will reply with my mobile number and we can definitely organise a meet up.

Do you live in San Francisco city? Where about in Scotland are you from?

Pauline
Old May 10th 2014, 2:16 am
Just Joined

Yeah I just realised I can't send a PM until I've posted 3 times!!

I do live in the city, in Cow Hollow it's near the marina. We are thinking about moving to the east bay later in the year, we just wanted to experience the city for a year first.

I'm from Nairn, near Inverness, originally. But went to Uni in Glasgow then lived in Edinburgh for about 6 years. Where are you from?

Erin
Old May 10th 2014, 2:28 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I live in Tampa FL but I lived in Edinburgh for a year and went skiing near Inverness as a kid. How is the weather in your part of CA?
Old May 10th 2014, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi Erin

If we didn't have kids we would definitely have lived in the City too for a while, as you say just for the experience, but we wanted somewhere more child friendly with good schools.

We are from Tullibody which is just outside Stirling, so we were right in the middle of Glasgow and Edinburgh. Maybe about 1/2 hour from Glasgow and maybe 45 mins from Edinburgh.

Definitely send me your number once you are allowed to use PM and we can arrange to meet up.

Hi Rich. Weather out in the East Bay in CA is hot, from what I have been told gets to over 100 in the summer which is a novelty for us Scots people who are used to rain, rain and more rain. Will definitely be using the air conditioner.
Old May 10th 2014, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi Pauline,

OK this should now make enough posts, fingers crossed I can send you a PM.

Erin
Old Jun 12th 2014, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

ukarrival is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!
I hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread but I was hoping for some advice if you don't mind.
My family is relocating to the Bay Area later this year from the UK and my husband's job will be based in Cupertino. I have been looking at different areas to live and am shocked (!) at how expensive it is live in nearby places like Los Gatos and Saratoga etc. I like the look of Pleasanton as we have two young children and I'm looking for an affordable, family-friendly neighbourhood with good schools. What is Pleasanton like? Are there any particularly nice areas? Also, does anyone have any information about the commute to Silicon Valley from Pleasanton? I know there is a company shuttle from Pleasanton so at least he wouldn't be driving - but just keen to gather how long the commute usually takes. Here in the UK he commutes for about 1hr 20 mins which is OK but anything more might be a bit much.
Thank you so much in advance!
Old Jun 12th 2014, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi there! Nice to hear from you.

Yes San Francisco area in general is very expensive, i was told recently its the most expensive place to live in the USA! And the nearer the city you go the more expensive it is.

We are in Dublin which is right next to Pleasanton. Both Dublin and Pleasanton are lovely, lots of nice parks, good schools etc. (check out website GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community for info on schools, i think Pleasanton zip code is 94566). As I don't actually live in Pleasanton I am not sure of exact areas that are nicer than others as its quite a big place. I could maybe try and find out for you though.

My husband takes the Bart (train) into San Francisco from the Dublin/Pleasanton station and that takes approx 45 mins. Not sure how long it would take to Silicon Valley but my husband knows someone who lives in Dublin that gets the Bart every day to silicon valley so I will ask him to make some enquiries. I def don't think it will be as much as 1 hr 20 mins though.

There are lots of great places to visit that are all within and hour to an hour and a half away and some much closer. We have only been here 3 months so we are still finding our feet and finding places to take the kids. Every weekend is a new adventure!

Weather in the East Bay is hot, can get well over a 100 in the summer but there are pools etc. the city is always slightly cooler.

I will try and have a look into areas in Pleasanton and see if I can find anything out for you and also commute times and get back to you. If you need anything else let me know, as I said I have only been here a few months so don't know much but I will try and help you find out anything you need to know.

Pauline
Old Jun 12th 2014, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much Pauline. That's really helpful! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying life in the SF area. How have you found the transition? I'm excited to get out there but I'm sure it will be tough going at times being without UK family and friends. Do you have any tips?That's really helpful knowing that your husband's friend does the commute to Silicon Valley, must mean it's not that uncommon! My husband will be working for Apple and they apparently have buses which shuttle between Dublin/Pleasanton and the Apple HQ so that's good. Also good to know that there's a train link too. I am currently doing some research on schools and they all look very good. I assumed we might have to go private but the public schools look good - what do you think? Thanks again!
Old Jun 12th 2014, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

I am not going to lie, the transition has been hard for me but saying that I am a real home bird so I have found leaving friends and family behind really tough but my husband has faired much better so i guess it just depends what kind of person you are. However the lifestyle is great, very outdoors which you just can't beat. Much better to be at parks etc than stuck inside a soft play etc when its raining at home.

I am getting there now and am settling into the new life. Just takes a bit of getting used to but I am loving the weather and all the stuff there is available to do here.

The first few months will be a bit of a pain as you will have so much to organise between getting a car and a US licence and finding a house and school etc but I just did one thing at a time and its all falling into place now. It took a while though as you can't register the kids at a school until you can prove you address which took us a while as we were in corporate housing until we found a house so didn't have bills in our name or a lease or anything so the school wouldn't let me register the kids so they are not starting until after summer now as the schools finish up today here for the summer.

The public schools here seem very good, your kids will need to get some jabs and a health check before they will be allowed to start school so bring a list of all the immunisations they have had with you from your doctor at home as they need to see this. I am in the middle of doing this just now i think they need to get a TB test and then Hep jabs and chicken pox jab but the schools will keep you right on what you need to get

My youngest had already done part of primary 1 before we came but he was too young for school here so he is starting Kindergarten after the summer so will essentially be redoing some stuff but it cant be helped.

The biggest adjustment for me was not being able to work. I worked part time at home but my visa doesn't allow me to work so that was a big change for me. I am hoping to get involved in some volunteering once the kids start school, just as a way of meeting people and the schools are big on parents helping out at the schools here so i will do that too.

If yo need anything else just let me know and if you end up in Pleasanton get in touch and we could meet for a chat

Pauline
Old Jun 12th 2014, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

hi -im just down the road- livermore about 10 mins away - i go to Dublin/Pleasanton often

PM me!
Old Jun 13th 2014, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much for your reply Pauline. It's so incredibly useful to have your valuable input as I really have no clue what to expect! My daughter will actually be in the same situation as your son. She has just completed reception here in the UK and will be due to start Kindergarten in the US after the summer - or as you say, as soon as we get an address sorted. The school district people my husband spoke to said that most of the children starting Kindergarten will have also done a year at school. That confused us a bit but I think she might have been referring to pre-K or something. Either way, she is currently the youngest child in her year in the UK so I don't think I'd want her to be put up a year, if that's even an option. I think she's be a bit out of her depth socially.
I'm eager to spend as little time as possible in corporate housing but I suppose it's impossible to move into a proper place until the shipping arrives and I imagine that takes ages? I'm wondering whether we should ship our stuff so that it arrives when we do! How long did it take you to find a house? Did your husband's company provide a realtor? Or did you find somewhere yourself?
I'm heading out to the area next month to have a look around and get an idea of the kind of houses available. It's good to hear that there's so much to do in the local area - I'm really looking forward to exploring. I'd absolutely love to catch up for a coffee once we're all moved!
Old Jun 13th 2014, 6:05 am
Just Joined

Ps. I should add that I will be in the same situation as you regarding not being able to work. I was also hoping to look at volunteering or maybe doing a course once the kids are sorted in school and preschool. So much to think about!
Old Jun 13th 2014, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

off_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond reputeoff_again has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there - I am in Pleasanton too! Nice place. Wife, two kids and a stupid dog...

Where are you in here? I am down to the south east of the city in the 'burbs. Schools break up today so would be great to meet up at some point.

But I guess you have noticed that there are a fair number of ex-pats here and I guess you have discovered the Redcoats pub in town?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.