Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Charlotte, NC?

Any Brits in Charlotte, NC?

Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brits in Charlotte, NC?

Originally Posted by slummymummy
That's funny you said about sidewalks, I do think that's quite important! ...
If you want sidewalks that will significantly cut down on your choices. Many of the newer subdivisions have them on at least one side of the street. I know a number of my neighbors from walking, but the two houses I have lived in since I came here are both in subdivisions without sidewalks, and both houses were built in the past 15-20 years.

I also know some neighbors from my work with the HOA, but I really wouldn't consider them to be "friends". As others on BE have often noted, it is easy to find casual acquaintances, but difficult to establish deeper friendships.

Having an accent is certainly a novelty, and an icebreaker, and I still average 2-3 comments a month ten years after I arrived here. That said at least half are shop assistants and waitresses, so not really the basis for forming deep friendships, though if I'd known about the attention my accent attracts from women, I'd have come here years before I met Mrs P!

I certainly don't notice any " we're all new here, let's be buddies" vibe. .... I think the most telling thing is to look at the interstates here on the big public holidays, ... you see that much of the congestion over and above the usual tush hour traffic is heading away from Charlotte! Also the only times the local NFL stadium fills up is when there is a visiting team playing with a national profile or from a city with many transplants in Charlotte.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 20th 2013 at 9:10 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I certainly don't notice any "we're all new here, let's be buddies" vibe. .... I think the most telling thing is to look at the interstates here on the big public holidays, ... you see that much of the congestion over and above the usual rush hour traffic is heading away from Charlotte!
Oh no, dream of making lots of friends in Charlotte crushed... We might move there anyway though if I could get a job. And husband is always drooling over houses there (online, not literally).
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:03 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

That's funny you said about sidewalks, I do think that's quite important!

Thanks for the info...
Whats also funny is you are moving to NC and I will soon be moving to FL
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:06 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, dream of making lots of friends in Charlotte crushed... We might move there anyway though if I could get a job. And husband is always drooling over houses there (online, not literally).
Life is what you make it. In the beginning when we first moved here many of my friends were made through my son (eg school and other mums) as he got older I found that more difficult.

I do interact with my neighbours and I count a few Americans as friends, but my closest friends are a Brit and a South African and one of those I met online initially
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:17 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sue
Whats also funny is you are moving to NC and I will soon be moving to FL
Where in FL, I know if I ever move back to FL it will not be Miami.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:23 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Originally Posted by fsm
Where in FL, I know if I ever move back to FL it will not be Miami.
I'm too embarrassed to say, cause normally on BE we get lots of folk who come on here after they've been there on holiday and then want to live there. To be honest it's never been on my "must live" list. But in my defence hubby got a job offer out of the blue and he loves the place he is working. He's been down there a couple of months already. I'm not that keen cause I like Charlotte and where we live, but life's one big adventure I suppose.

Go on guess!!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:52 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I'm too embarrassed to say, cause normally on BE we get lots of folk who come on here after they've been there on holiday and then want to live there. To be honest it's never been on my "must live" list. But in my defence hubby got a job offer out of the blue and he loves the place he is working. He's been down there a couple of months already. I'm not that keen cause I like Charlotte and where we live, but life's one big adventure I suppose.

Go on guess!!
Old Feb 21st 2013, 11:18 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sue

Go on guess!!
I figure it is either Orlando or Miami.

Still in both places regularly, the car knows how to get to Disney on cruise control
Old Feb 21st 2013, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Orlando? Fort Lauderdale?

That's nice that you made some friends with other mums and neighbours! I'm not asking to make best friends really, just meet some people who I can count on in the sense that they will want to meet up every once in a while and for the kids to play. Not someone who is always too busy running around in yoga clothes, going to nail/hair appointments and playing with their iphone trying to look busy...
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

alihouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Orlando? Fort Lauderdale?

That's nice that you made some friends with other mums and neighbours! I'm not asking to make best friends really, just meet some people who I can count on in the sense that they will want to meet up every once in a while and for the kids to play. Not someone who is always too busy running around in yoga clothes, going to nail/hair appointments and playing with their iphone trying to look busy...
Let me know if you decide to move here. I would like to meet people too, although I do like wearing yoga pants (so comfy )

I have made a few friends but I think it is quite difficult here to get past the initial "Hi, How are you?" bit. Lots of people say it, but you're not sure they really care.....

Also, there seems to be loads of meetup groups for people with toddlers but all they want to do is talk about potty training, naps (they're OBSESSED with naps) and preschool plans.

My 6 year old is happy at school but he really misses his best friend from England. I think he misses the Brit sense of humour too.

Having said all that, I love it here and there's so much to do! 6 months and not homesick yet, which is good going for me

Ali x
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok! Don't worry, I can accept yoga pants if you don't have an attitude!
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

soap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to beholdsoap addict is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by alihouse
Let me know if you decide to move here. I would like to meet people too, although I do like wearing yoga pants (so comfy )

I have made a few friends but I think it is quite difficult here to get past the initial "Hi, How are you?" bit. Lots of people say it, but you're not sure they really care.....

Also, there seems to be loads of meetup groups for people with toddlers but all they want to do is talk about potty training, naps (they're OBSESSED with naps) and preschool plans.

My 6 year old is happy at school but he really misses his best friend from England. I think he misses the Brit sense of humour too.

Having said all that, I love it here and there's so much to do! 6 months and not homesick yet, which is good going for me

Ali x
Hi alihouse

Looks like I will be moving between Charlotte and Winston Salem June time. Definitely would love to come along to any meet ups that get off the ground. Promise I wont talk about kids - mine are teenagers now so no potty training worries!

soap addict