Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Carmel Valley, San Diego??

Any Brits in Carmel Valley, San Diego??

Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brits in Carmel Valley, San Diego??

Originally Posted by Holliver
Haha, good luck on all those fronts. The more English bacon is from Fresh and Easy, same cut, but doesn't have the fatty rind so kind of just dries out. I haven't found sausages - used to the American italian style ones now. As for bread, I don't know. Sorry not to have been more help.
For bread that is not sweet I've found the best thing to do is buy a 'french loaf' from most supermarkets. Its annoying because it is not thin sliced but at least it tastes like proper bread.

The best sausages I've tasted so far are from the butchers counter at 'Sprouts' but again they are a little bit 'American'.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by beaver
For bread that is not sweet I've found the best thing to do is buy a 'french loaf' from most supermarkets. Its annoying because it is not thin sliced but at least it tastes like proper bread.

The best sausages I've tasted so far are from the butchers counter at 'Sprouts' but again they are a little bit 'American'.
I eat bread from Costco, it's the wholegrain one. Tastes fine to me. After living in Japan for 4 and a half years I just got used to rubbish bread. I didn't really notice any difference when I went back the UK in Nov, having said that I don't eat toast/bread that often so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me. Very rarely use it for sandwiches, so maybe that's a difference too. I have it with Marmite - so maybe that makes it a bit sour.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 11:34 am
Sunny Side

Saffysmom is on a distinguished road

I have been to San Diego many a times , I'm so in love with the place, it ticks all the boxes for me , I just got back last week after an 8 wk trip looking at schools, houses etc

What areas are nice to live , I like ranch Santa Fe & La Jolla
Looked at Digueno in RSF, and horizon prep as I have a 3 yr old

I rented a town house in carmel valley not far from carmel piazza , not sure if I could live there !!!!!
What areas do you all like??
Any recommendations on schools for a 3 yr old , hoping to be out there permanently by aug/ sep

Does anyone know if there is a british circle in SD??

Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

La Jolla is nice, but very expensive. I like North County - Rancho Bernardo way. Also expensive.

There are quite a few expats in SD. There are some groups that meet monthly (I think) at a pub downtown. I know a few round here too.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by old_motters
If my wife is offered a job this/next week, we'll be moving to San Diego. Been 6-7 times now and love the place so we have our fingers crossed. Hope to meet other ex-pats if all goes well!
Just saw your post now. Let us know how the job situation goes. I'd be happy to answer any questions about SD.