Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Albany / Schenectady area?

Any Brits in Albany / Schenectady area?

Old Oct 21st 2010, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

SJD_Schenectady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Brits in Albany / Schenectady area?

Hello, my family and I are living near Schenectady, NY for a year and would love to know if there any other British people in the area. We are very new here and would like some advice on good pubs etc. Also does anywhere nearby sell custard??
Old Oct 21st 2010, 9:36 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brits in Albany / Schenectady area?

Originally Posted by SJD_Schenectady
Hello, my family and I are living near Schenectady, NY for a year and would love to know if there any other British people in the area. We are very new here and would like some advice on good pubs etc. Also does anywhere nearby sell custard??
I'm 90 minutes east of you. Best boozer in your area I reckon is the Albany Pump Station.

Can't help you with custard, I'm afraid. Although I did bring a boat-load back from the UK last week!
Old Oct 21st 2010, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

We have been to The Pump Station and you are right, it was great!
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

oldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud ofoldskool has much to be proud of

I used to live in Albany a few years back. We used to know all the places to get the English delicacies. I'll have a word with the SO and see if she can recall what/where they were.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

alex_and_Lilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
My husband (UK) and I live north of Schenectady near Saratoga Springs. We would love to meet up sometime with any other Brits in the area!

cheers
Lilly
Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Neko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud of

I'm over in Troy, though - as I moved to the states at age 4 - I only loosely count as a Brit. :-P

There's the Man of Kent tavern out in Hoosick Falls, but I've heard mixed reviews. I enjoyed the beer and the food the one time I went out there, personally.

I'm quite fond of Brown's Brewing Company in Troy.

Both The Counties of Ireland and Tipperary at Tara have food/candy/import sections, but are primarily gift shops. I've never actually found a grocery story right in this area. There is the UK Gourmet down in Newtown, CT and Jolly's Good Grub Grocery in Saugerties, NY, but I've never been to either.

There used to be a place down in Clinton Corners - I think it was called "Jeanie Bean's" or something like that? Run by a great guy - David Bean. Used to be in musicals in London (the one I can remember is West Side Story from the 50s or 60s or something). I'm pretty sure that one's actually closed, though; he and his wife sold it, and they've opened a pub down in Wappingers Falls called "The Union Jack". Now, that's a place I love.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

I didn't realize there were so many places that sold UK items. In Saratoga we will only Celtic Treasures and the Putnam Market - all of which are pretty expensive. We will have to check out the Troy area!
Thanks!!!!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Neko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud of

After investigating more, I'm going to go to Jolly's next week with family. I'll report back after I've been - after all, it's only an hour from Albany.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry for the slow reply... My mother and son and I did go to Jolly's Good Grub Grocery down in Saugerties last Monday. It's small, but they had quite a good selection, and the owners were nice to talk to. I definitely recommend it as a place to stop by for anyone looking for a good variety of imports. Though as far as I know, my mother and I did clean out their stock of Bovril...
Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

The Price chopper stores in Schenectady and Glenville have suddenly got BRITISH sections! It's a miracle! Now i can get Lemon Barley Water, Hobnobs, Branston Pickle, CUSTARD, aeros all on my doorstop YEY!!!!
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Great news!!!! Thanks for sharing!
Old Nov 30th 2010, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Spirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really niceSpirrelbabe is just really nice

Hi My hubby and I live in Rensselaer, been here for 3 months now.

We found that our local Hannafords in East Greenbush sell a few British foods, Colman's Mustard, Patak Curry sauces, Naan bread and great selection of cheeses not just plastic ones, Brie, Boursin, Gorgonzola, Camembert, Gouda, Feta. No custard though and I look everywhere I go, so might just have to make it myself, its easy enough anyway.

Got a friend coming over this week from home to visit, will be nice to see a friendly face. Finding it hard at the moment what with all the Christmas build up.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

LBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really nice

Me and the husband are around Albany area Mahars you can get some decent beer selection and there's a pretty nice Indian restaurant next door although they don't seem to make curry very spicy upstate Thanks for the heads up on British sections in Price Chopper will have to have a look Xmas makes me crave British food...
Old Dec 1st 2010, 2:24 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LBJR07
Me and the husband are around Albany area Mahars you can get some decent beer selection and there's a pretty nice Indian restaurant next door although they don't seem to make curry very spicy upstate Thanks for the heads up on British sections in Price Chopper will have to have a look Xmas makes me crave British food...
Head over to (West) Springfield to this place. You'll have an arse like a Flanders poppy the next morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.