Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Meet-ups
Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Albany / Schenectady area?

Any Brits in Albany / Schenectady area?

Old Sep 21st 2012, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Tea_and_biccies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Brits in Albany / Schenectady area?

Yay! I'll be the one not wearing the Union Jack t shirt..
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

JessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant futureJessicaKate has a brilliant future

I will definitely mark the calendar and husband and I will be there. We should be moving on the 15th.

I'll ask the husband to wear his Liverpool jersey.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 9:11 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

VJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really nice

We'll be there too.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Tea_and_biccies is an unknown quantity at this point

Not going to be able to make the pint and a pie knees up in Albany

I've got to go to the UK to arrange a funeral. On the plus side, I'll get to eat a load of curry and pickle (miss them so much). Also, am I likely to encounter problems bringing Christmas puddings back to the US?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 12:52 am
VJW
Forum Regular

VJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really nice

Hello Tea and biccies.

We'll let you know when we go back to the pub again and have a pint for you so not to worry. I brought Christmas Puddings back in my main 'hold' luggage last year and nothing was ever said. All was fine. Not sure if they're allowed, perhaps they would have been sniffed out by the dogs if they were there. Anyway I risked it and I still have two left for this Christmas. Enjoy your curry!
Old Oct 26th 2012, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Climbingfishgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by VJW
Hello Tea and biccies.

We'll let you know when we go back to the pub again and have a pint for you so not to worry. I brought Christmas Puddings back in my main 'hold' luggage last year and nothing was ever said. All was fine. Not sure if they're allowed, perhaps they would have been sniffed out by the dogs if they were there. Anyway I risked it and I still have two left for this Christmas. Enjoy your curry!
Xmas puds are definately OK. Went out of my way to check the rules and bought two back yesterday Seems anything processed is fine. The big no-no's are anything living, raw fruits, raw veg, seeds & soil.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:01 am
Just Joined

ian_k is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JessicaKate
I will definitely mark the calendar and husband and I will be there. We should be moving on the 15th.

I'll ask the husband to wear his Liverpool jersey.
We'll be there, i'll be the one trying to buy pork scratchings at the bar.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

It looks like there will be a fair few of us so I've asked the pub for a big table. Reserved in the name of Dunsdon, probably upstairs ....? See you later.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

ian_k is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to say, it was great to meet you all. Sorry we couldn't have stayed for longer. Looking forward to the next get together. Maybe xmas time.
Ian & Jess
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian_k
Just wanted to say, it was great to meet you all. Sorry we couldn't have stayed for longer. Looking forward to the next get together. Maybe xmas time.
Ian & Jess
Couldn't agree more. Been trying to think of where & when, any ideas? The pub got really loud and was not that good for chatting with everyone.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

sergeyvo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Climbingfishgirl
Couldn't agree more. Been trying to think of where & when, any ideas? The pub got really loud and was not that good for chatting with everyone.
There are a few Indian/Lebanese restaurants in Albany..... For those who miss these.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 2:11 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

Sergey has a great idea. Lets go for an Indian next time. We're up for that definitely.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

sergeyvo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by VJW
Sergey has a great idea. Lets go for an Indian next time. We're up for that definitely.
Yeah, they are not in the dodgy Albany city centre + no parking problems - an extra "bonus" for us.

I've got some positive feedback from Indian colleagues on these:

www.phoeniciansofalbany.com/
http://www.karavallilatham.com/

Sitar is not good.

Any other ideas?
Old Nov 10th 2012, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

fedupwithmoving is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all
Having seen all the requests for english products check this out....
Best place for english products is The Price Chopper grocery store on Central ave in ALbany. You can get custard powder, ribena, ready brek, branston pickle, tea bags, etc. Also, check out The asian supermarket on central and Daniya...asian supermarket on route 9 in loudonville (very good) A lot of the asian places sell eurpean products.
Also the Ocean city job lot, same plaza as price chopper, sells Riveta and jacobs cream crackers.
hope that helps
Old Nov 10th 2012, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

fedupwithmoving is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SJD_Schenectady
Hello, my family and I are living near Schenectady, NY for a year and would love to know if there any other British people in the area. We are very new here and would like some advice on good pubs etc. Also does anywhere nearby sell custard??

Hi, been in albany 7 months, come to one of our meet ups, last one was really fun.
I replied re custard powder and other uk products, if you don't find it i will reply again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.