Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Alabama

Any Brits in Alabama

Old Jun 20th 2015, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

The Englishster will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Any Brits in Alabama

Hi Simon89

I've been in Birmingham for almost 9 years now. I'm in touch with a few Brits but I haven't come across all that many here. I'd love to help you avoid some of the mistakes I made, and I am fairly well connected locally so can also put you in touch with the right people. PM me when you are ready.

Bill
Old Jun 20th 2015, 3:50 pm
WJS
Forum Regular

WJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond reputeWJS has a reputation beyond repute

Oh please post here. It may help us others that are moving to Bham.
Old Jun 20th 2015, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Simon89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, both. Awesome - how are you guys finding it?

Well right now, just wondering which bank you managed to get an account in as I've heard there can be issues with that, at least initially. If I know one that will definitely accept me (well hopefully) then that's something haha.

Also, do you know what the deal is with driving licences for us Brits moving over to Alabama. Some states seem to just give you one on showing your British one, while others insist of you taking their tests. Did you have to do a test in Alabama?

I also realise I never replied to the question asked of me when I first posted in here weeks ago! I'll be moving over in the Autumn (or should that be 'fall'...) as I'm getting married to a wonderful Birminghamite!

Last edited by Simon89; Jun 20th 2015 at 10:11 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Simon89,

I've been using BBVA (Compass) bank since I arrived in Alabama. They have been handling my wires to both my Canadian and British a/c's competently.

When I went in to get a bank account ("Checking" account), they required a copy of my U.S. Status as recorded by DHS: In my case it is a TN status (which happens to be an I-94 form) in the passport plus the passport itself, and I think i also showed them my CAN driving license and that was good enough. They didn't require an SSN but asked for me to give them it as soon as I could. They also offered a secured credit card which i have taken up as a way of building a good U.S. credit score.

Can't really offer any advice on the driving license as I transferred from Canada, but I didn't have to take a test or even surrender my Can license, just show it. It cost about $40 i think.
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by neill
Hi Simon89,

I've been using BBVA (Compass) bank since I arrived in Alabama. They have been handling my wires to both my Canadian and British a/c's competently.

When I went in to get a bank account ("Checking" account), they required a copy of my U.S. Status as recorded by DHS: In my case it is a TN status (which happens to be an I-94 form) in the passport plus the passport itself, and I think i also showed them my CAN driving license and that was good enough. They didn't require an SSN but asked for me to give them it as soon as I could. They also offered a secured credit card which i have taken up as a way of building a good U.S. credit score.

Can't really offer any advice on the driving license as I transferred from Canada, but I didn't have to take a test or even surrender my Can license, just show it. It cost about $40 i think.
Thank you for that. My fiancee banks with them too, so hopefully I will have no problems opening an account with them.

That's also interesting regarding the driving license, if I have it that easy I'll be delighted!

Any Brits in Alabama who can help further with the driving question?
Old Jun 28th 2015, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Oh no, where have you Bammers gone?
Old Jun 29th 2015, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon89
Oh no, where have you Bammers gone?
Well this one ain't to keen on being inside with 'puter in this weather, need to get to the river

Look here regards DL? State of Alabama Law Enforcement Agency
Old Jun 29th 2015, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amie06
Well this one ain't to keen on being inside with 'puter in this weather, need to get to the river

Look here regards DL? State of Alabama Law Enforcement Agency
I forget how hot it is... that's going to take me some time to get used to, for sure!!!

Thanks. I have now asked my fiancee to email the DL to obtain some more specific answers to the questions I have
Old Jun 29th 2015, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond reputeAmie06 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simon89
I forget how hot it is... that's going to take me some time to get used to, for sure!!!

Thanks. I have now asked my fiancee to email the DL to obtain some more specific answers to the questions I have
If i got it right then you can use UK licence for so many days then you have to get Alabama one once you become resident, and that test is EASY, theory test first then basically drive round the block and done for the actual test, and you do not need to surrender UK licence. They only issue a licence for the length of your permission to be in US. My first licence was based on my EAD so it was issued for one year.

Also look here Drivers license & ID - Nationwide DMV Driving License Guide at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple
Old Jul 11th 2015, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

ChrisinAL is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I just moved here. Down in Valley Grande. Nice to see I'm not the only one 😊
Old Oct 4th 2015, 4:31 am
Just Joined

BamaBrit_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there, I've been in Birmingham, AL for about 2 years now. Just married my man who is a Birmingham native. I've been in the U.S. since 2011. Lived in NYC and NJ for the first couple years but settled down here now we have kids. It's cool that there are fellow Brits here! Anyone get homesick? I do from time to time, mainly missing the family, friends and the sarcasm/British humor on occasion lol!! Do any of you guys meet up at all or know of meet ups?
Old Oct 7th 2015, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BamaBrit_1
Hey there, I've been in Birmingham, AL for about 2 years now. Just married my man who is a Birmingham native. I've been in the U.S. since 2011. Lived in NYC and NJ for the first couple years but settled down here now we have kids. It's cool that there are fellow Brits here! Anyone get homesick? I do from time to time, mainly missing the family, friends and the sarcasm/British humor on occasion lol!! Do any of you guys meet up at all or know of meet ups?
Been here in 'bama for 18 months now, live in Alliance 30 mins west of Birmingham. Not met any Brits here yet or know of any meet ups, met one Brit in Tennessee and one in Florida.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Bama for 12 years and just moved to Florida.
The driving test was a breeze... Back out of the parking space, out the test center (centre) to an industrial area. Three-point turn, back up 10 yards and back to the Center. Took less than 10 minutes.The examiner said "You passed... But I think you knew that anyway."
Maybe she gave me an easy time because she knew I was an experienced driver.
The theory test was easy. Multiple choice on a computer.You are required to take a licensed driver with you (My realtor came as I knew NO-ONE).
Foreign nationals are required to go to a primary test center as the county ones can't process the required paperwork (Visas) and as said before, they will only issue a license for the term of your visa. There is a primary center in Birmingham and Montgomery.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

nick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud ofnick.simpson19 has much to be proud of

Ive just completed my driving test in Alabama, we spent more time talking about English soccer than the test!

There i also an online test you can practice for the theory!

I am in Mobile, Alabama on the beautiful Gulf Coast!
Old Mar 19th 2016, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Pattaffy1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by reet58
Hi
I`m new to this forum. Have been living in Alabama since December 2009. If any one is local please contact as would love to hear from another Brit in Alabama.
Rita
Hi rita i was living in freeport florida not far from alabama were in orlando right now but were moving back so lets keep in touch!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.