Yanks Welcome?

Old Jun 24th 2010, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

WannaGetOut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yanks Welcome?

I'm a Yank looking to get out of here for a bit since all we seem to be able to do is create "crisis" after "crisis"... hoping to get some insight/advice from you folks... and of course who doesn't wanna get a tax-free income for a bit..

I have applied online many times like many of the poster on here, with the same results... I am open to Saudi, Qatar or the UAE although it seems the job market isn't very inviting in Dubai. I currently work as a finance manager with a total of 6-7 yrs experience, at the corporate office of a fortune 500 hospitality company and was wondering what I'd have to do to make my way out to Saudi? Are LinkedIn and personal connections pretty much my best shot at securing a good opportunity? My company has opportunities in the region but they would be working in hotels and I feel that may end up being career limiting... I have a BBA in finance but no CPA or MBA... Ive been thinking of pursuing one of the two... I'm married and have a 1.5 yr old boy...

I'd love to get your thoughts...
Old Jun 25th 2010, 7:54 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Yanks Welcome?

There are Americans in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. The British/South Africans form the two largest western expat communities but the number of Americans is decent. No American I've met here (and I have American citizenship as well) have ever experienced problems being Americans, although it's sensible not to be overtly in your face American. I never see the American flag sticker on anyone's cars unlike the English or Scottish or SA stickers.

Economy is lousy here as anywhere. I can't offer much more help beyond that. Other posters may offer suggestions.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I did see a guy with an american sticker on the back of his car the other day, I did wonder if it was the wisest thing to do!
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

lol... I'm the last guy you will see sporting the flag around my body unless we get our act together and that seems like a pipe dream...

I was just wondering if us Yanks are welcome on this forum. The very reason I'd like to "get away", as the name suggests, is because I can't take the constant barrage of "our sh** doesn't stink.."

I hear Saudi hasn't really been hit as hard as the UAE so I was wondering what job prospects are like for someone with my experience and credentials in Saudi.

Any help is much appreciated...
Old Jun 26th 2010, 5:22 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WannaGetOut
lol... I'm the last guy you will see sporting the flag around my body unless we get our act together and that seems like a pipe dream...

I was just wondering if us Yanks are welcome on this forum. The very reason I'd like to "get away", as the name suggests, is because I can't take the constant barrage of "our sh** doesn't stink.."

I hear Saudi hasn't really been hit as hard as the UAE so I was wondering what job prospects are like for someone with my experience and credentials in Saudi.

Any help is much appreciated...
Of course you're welcome here, buddy You'll have to get used to us slagging everyone off (including ourselves), but bring along a bit of humour and the odd snippet of sense and you'll be a shining star.

The world's largest company (arguably) is Saudi Aramco--they employ yanks, perhaps in ever-decreasing numbers as they increase the skill-base of Saudi nationals, but you could try their website.

There are a few recruitment agencies which operate in the region and specifically in Saudi--a googlewhack should give you their details.

Good luck.

ps Kittycat's 5h1t doesn't stink either, but then she's special...
Old Jun 26th 2010, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

lol special needs more like!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:23 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

of course you are welcome, even better if your a texan.

Good luck.

I love America..well Texas.

Great food
Great beer (shiner Bock)
Cheap as fewk houses (well in Houston anyway)
nice climate.
Lovely people. Well actually they are too nice. People actually wave at you when you drive though their neigbourhood. That is my problem with americans. I think because they are perceived (correctly IMHO) as such an aggressive nation, Joe Public, or should i say John Doe try to much for 'acceptance'

Not many americans are proud to be american. And thats a shame.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:24 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=commander;8659857]of course you are welcome, even better if your a texan.

Good luck.

I love America..well Texas.

Great food - Tried to explain Chicken Fried Steak to some folks yesterday.. But where the chicken, they would ask..!!

Great beer (shiner Bock) - Ahh, now this is where we disagree. Although most stores and some wellstocked bars do have Boddingtons..

Cheap as fewk houses (well in Houston anyway) - Aye, agreed. Looking at getting a place North Woodlands - Lake Conroe as we speak..

nice climate. - Do miss Houston storms....
Lovely people. Well actually they are too nice. People actually wave at you when you drive though their neigbourhood. That is my problem with americans. I think because they are perceived (correctly IMHO) as such an aggressive nation, Joe Public, or should i say John Doe try to much for 'acceptance'

Old Jun 27th 2010, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

crw1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE= and of course who doesn't wanna get a tax-free income for a bit..

QUOTE]

Just remember that as an American abroad you will still pay taxes in the US. Americans are very welcome in the region.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Keoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really nice

Hi,
I deal a lot with American candidates across the GCC & in my industry USA experience is well regarded. But I can't comment on your finance industry unfortunately.

However one piece of advice I'm constantly needing to supply is to try to point out to USA candidates the difference between a USA style Resume & the Curriculum Vitae format we use out here.

You should google "CV" / "Resume" & take the advice there on the differences & how to complete a full CV. There's lots of good sites. A "one page - fits all" approach common in the USA is doomed to failure here - well almost everywhere in the world outside the USA
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for your responses...

Commander and TGKASE - I didn't mean that I hate America and being American... in fact I love most aspects of being American except I don't like what we're doing overseas... I'm pretty moderate politically and fiscally conservative. My best friend lives in Houston so I actually enjoy that city quite a bit... he lives near the Galleria. I am assuming both of you are in the energy industry? I live in the DC metro area and hand down people aren't as friendly here as they are down South...and there is no cost of living comparison between here in Houston.. although I do enjoy the diversity.

Keoic - what industry are you in?
Old Jul 1st 2010, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Keoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really nice

Our PR states.

KEO International Consultants is a world ranked and leading Design, Engineering, and Project and Construction Management Consulting Firm. Founded in 1964, we deliver world-class consulting services. KEO has offices in the Middle East and throughout other global regions.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 6:18 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keoic
Our PR states.

KEO International Consultants is a world ranked and leading Design, Engineering, and Project and Construction Management Consulting Firm. Founded in 1964, we deliver world-class consulting services. KEO has offices in the Middle East and throughout other global regions.
He didn't ask what your PR said, he asked what industry are you in.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 8:28 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Originally Posted by commander
It can be difficult being an American abroad. What do I dress my son in for international day? Jeans and T shirt? What is an "American" food? McDonalds?

We are actually forced to dilute our national pride most of the time to avoid offending people; hence the lack of prideful Americans. Not to mention the fact that numerous non-western nationalities may have serious gripes with us (of varying degrees of legitimacy). We are very conscious of the "ugly American" stereotype and have to work hard to avoid it. If I spoke about my country the way an Australian/South African/Canadian/Frenchman/etc can, people would become angry very quickly. No one wants to hear about more American achievments.

That said I've only had one wierd experience with an Egyptian guy who believed that all Americans want to kill all Muslims (but I choose to live HERE). I do like it when the barber tells me he's not a terrorist though.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Let's face it, the average Joe Public (American) is friendlier than the average European... or so it seems... the problem is our image because of our politics, foreign policy and media portrayal. It's not that Americans think they need to try hard to win over people of other nationalities but it's a little difficult to explain yourself when pitch to the whole world is how great you are as a nation because of the first 5 ammendments in your constitution and then feel it extremely necessary to interfere in every region of the world.

I've traveled through Europe and the Middle East and the most common questions/comments I get, as an American, revolve around our "flawed" foreign policy... maybe they say that about other Western G-* countries as well - I've only had the pleasure of hearing about ours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.