Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is it worth flying out there?

Is it worth flying out there?

Old Aug 1st 2010, 1:44 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it worth flying out there?

To Doha/Dubai maybe both, visiting agencies and companies and looking for a job that way? Has anyone ever done that?
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth flying out there?

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
To Doha/Dubai maybe both, visiting agencies and companies and looking for a job that way? Has anyone ever done that?
My wife used to work for major agency in Dubai in the Admin Dept . The company policy there was they would not take any prospective C.V's on a walk in basis.

Obviously now it could be different all depending what skill set you have to offer , there's a lot of agencies in Dubai recruiting for Qatar and picking people up in Dubai who are still on the ground and who have obviously got GCC experience.

We have been looking for 2 senior people and have decided here that we are better off advertising in trade journals in the U.K.The prices and commission these people are charging is astronomical to say the least.Also the quality of candidates was shocking.

It might be worth ago and you could get some good leads as long as you do a lot of leg work before you get there especially as days become weeks and weeks become months in this part of the world.

The funny thing is we were offering a decent ex-pat package and once these guys knew it was Qatar you think we were asking them to go into Helmand Province.Very naieve to say the least we call it 'Dubai Drunk' down here.

Good Luck
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:37 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, CDB.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

just make sure you get there at the right time of year... right now being summer and with ramadan approaching it wouldn't be worth it.

But as CDB just said, i'm actually seeing a lot more ads in the uk now for jobs out there where as a couple of years ago they were few and far between (unless you were an estate agent).
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:18 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Lil'Jim, meeting agents face-to-face is only ever worth it if there's a real job that's suited for you (and you for it), and the agent has a specific remit to meet you first. Don't go to meet agents on spec, you can say and ask everything you need to by email or on the phone.

And as for prospetive employers, you need to establish contact first, either my email (not preferred) or by phone. You can't just walk in...

I'll PM shortly with a lead I have.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:48 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Lil'Jim, meeting agents face-to-face is only ever worth it if there's a real job that's suited for you (and you for it), and the agent has a specific remit to meet you first. Don't go to meet agents on spec, you can say and ask everything you need to by email or on the phone.

And as for prospetive employers, you need to establish contact first, either my email (not preferred) or by phone. You can't just walk in...

I'll PM shortly with a lead I have.
You're right. I'm getting desperate and not really thinking it through
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I found LinkedIn amazingly helpful. I just connected (by which time they have read your CV) emailed them and met for a coffee. Set a few of them up and something might come of it.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:47 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I found LinkedIn amazingly helpful. I just connected (by which time they have read your CV) emailed them and met for a coffee. Set a few of them up and something might come of it.
Aye, cheers, Millhouse. I've been expanding my contacts on LinkedIn over the last few days.