British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   Working at Prince Mohammad University (PMU) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/working-prince-mohammad-university-pmu-921476/)

iranis Jan 27th 2019 4:46 am

Working at Prince Mohammad University (PMU)

Hi, I am just wondering, if I have a job at PMU, can I travel home during the winter break when there are no classes or I can travel back home only during summer?

reddiva Jan 27th 2019 9:56 am

Re: Working at Prince Mohammad University (PMU)

Originally Posted by iranis (Post 12627903)
Hi, I am just wondering, if I have a job at PMU, can I travel home during the winter break when there are no classes or I can travel back home only during summer?

No clue and i do not know of anyone on here who works for the Uni
Try and contact people who work there on linked in

scot47 Jan 27th 2019 1:00 pm

I had friends and ex-colleagues working ther. teaching staff could leave during the winter break - ie the break between Semesters. this will probably NOT coincide with Christman and New Year/ Send me a PM if you like/. I taught up the road at KFUPM.

iranis Jan 27th 2019 4:59 pm

Hi scot47, thank you for your reply! I have been looking at Fall Semester in the academic calendar of Prince Mohammad University (PMU), it says that the deadline for submitting grades to the Registrar's Office is December 27 and Spring semester classes begin in January 6. So it gives a small gap between Fall and Spring semesters. It's is not much but it could be nice to be home for at least 4-5 days. They have 60 days leave for faculty in summer, which is also good.
I like the idea about Saudi Arabia although it is extremely hot there!

scot47 Jan 27th 2019 6:14 pm

I had positive experiences in Saudi over a period of 17 years from 1970 until 2011 when I left. I had 4 different employers
Ministry of Education (Tabuk Secondary)
Petromin/Samarec
Saudi Arabian Airlines
King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals

iranis Jan 27th 2019 6:22 pm

Hi scot47! I have never been in Saudi Arabia but I just saw some movies in ytube and it looks a really nice place to stay! Wow, you have been living there for 17 years! Did you buy a car there? I am thinking, is it OK to buy a new car or it is still OK to buy a little bit used car? If I move there, I will be living in Dhahran. I really love fishing, so I will try to set us some night fishing over there. I am applied mathematician. Did you work there as an engineer? I have an impression that the level of math education there is little bit higher than in the average US universities. But may be I am wrong

scot47 Jan 27th 2019 6:27 pm

I taught English. Be careful if buying a used car A good tip is to get a LEASE arrangement. Your students will have a range of abilities in Math. Level is generally quite high. Ability in English varies from native-speaker level down to those who have difficulties in basic communication.

iranis Jan 28th 2019 8:32 am

Hi Scott! My name is Ranis, I am living in Wisconsin, USA. I just got a skype interview with PMU and I think it was good! By the way, PMU is very close to KFUPM, it's like 30 km or so. Do you plan to visit Saudi Arabia sometime again? Yes, if I get a job there, I am planning to buy a car (I am thinking to buy a new one) using a lease. So, first, I will need to get a bank account through the PMU. By the way, can you tell me about the health insurance and medicine in general, is it good? Also, what kind of entertainments are in Saudi Arabia; some clubs, theaters, fishing? What was your favorite leisure time there? Ohhh... so many questions already!

dominoman Jan 31st 2019 5:44 am

Originally Posted by iranis (Post 12628494)
I have never been in Saudi Arabia but I just saw some movies in ytube and it looks a really nice place to stay! Also, what kind of entertainments are in Saudi Arabia; some clubs, theaters, fishing? What was your favorite leisure time there? Ohhh... so many questions already!

I've heard it is like Cancun during Spring Break - but all year round

weasel decentral Jan 31st 2019 6:00 am

Originally Posted by iranis (Post 12628494)
Also, what kind of entertainments are in Saudi Arabia; some clubs, theaters, fishing? What was your favorite leisure time there? Ohhh... so many questions already!

Assuming this is not a wind up, boy are you in for a surprise. As a mental image try thinking of Las Vegas, then remove everything else until you just have the sand.

Millhouse Jan 31st 2019 10:14 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12630112)
Assuming this is not a wind up, boy are you in for a surprise. As a mental image try thinking of Las Vegas, then remove everything else until you just have the sand.

Come on, that's not quite true; the trash would still be there too.

Charl01 Feb 3rd 2019 3:07 am

Yes Saudi is a great place....Stay in a compound and do what most expats do.. work during the week, get drunk on homebrew and Sid over weekends...repeat.

scot47 Feb 4th 2019 9:24 am

Iranis
You ask if I plan to visit Saudi Arabia. How would I get a visa ? Visas are issued if you are going to work or on pilgrimage. I am too old to get a job and I am a Chrisyian so will not be going on Hajj !

I tjhink you should do some background reading on Saudi Arabia.

Charl01 Feb 4th 2019 9:31 am

Originally Posted by iranis (Post 12628224)
Hi scot47! I have never been in Saudi Arabia but I just saw some movies in ytube and it looks a really nice place to stay! Wow, you have been living there for 17 years! Did you buy a car there? I am thinking, is it OK to buy a new car or it is still OK to buy a little bit used car? If I move there, I will be living in Dhahran. I really love fishing, so I will try to set us some night fishing over there. I am applied mathematician. Did you work there as an engineer? I have an impression that the level of math education there is little bit higher than in the average US universities. But may be I am wrong

Watching videos on YouTube about Saudi will surely give you 100% insight on what to expect.

Saudi is an expat dream working destination, so many Ibiza style night clubs and not to mention the selection of pubs you can find. It is a blast and so easy to meet single people

scot47 Jun 29th 2019 6:48 pm

I rather liked Saudi. I was there drunk and there sober. Sober is better.