Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Working in events management - Dubai or Abu Dhabi

Working in events management - Dubai or Abu Dhabi

Old Apr 22nd 2017, 2:01 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Working in events management - Dubai or Abu Dhabi

I am putting this enquiry up for a friend of mine who is based in UK.

He has extensive experience of events management covering large, major events - mainly sports events and music events over the last 30+ years. He works in the Midlands.

He would like to move his career overseas, but doesn't know where to start or who to contact.

Having lived in Dubai for 8 years, I saw how much goes on there, events wise and can see that he would fit in very well. I assume it is a major employment area.

Is there anybody here who has experience of this (Scamp?) and might be able to give some initial advice as to the best people to contact, the first steps to take or could give a general picture of events management in Dubai/AD

Thank You
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in events management - Dubai or Abu Dhabi

Speak to two organisation, DWTC or that gov run company in Abu Dhabi that hires all the acts for the F1 etc. Can't recall their name.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I have met a few people in events management in the UAE over the years and the consensus was that it's a ruthless industry and very dependent on connections. Quite a few people try to strike it out on their own and fail.

If your mate has the impressive CV to back him up (based on size and scale and complexity of the events) then possibly the best strategy is to approach the big players as a consultant and start from there, before jumping out on his own.

I imagine one of the advantages of the big players is that they have entire databases of contacts to cover every aspect of events and can ring them up at a moment's notice to get a big event underway quickly. Can your mate do this? My guess is that until he can prove he can do this, he won't be taken seriously as a sole operator. So going the consultant route to get started is sensible.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I can put him on to the events mgnt company that my wife used to work at.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 5:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

A good friend works in this field but on a much smaller scale.

I'll ask her.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 4:41 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
A good friend works in this field but on a much smaller scale.

I'll ask her.
Thanks Scamp
Old Apr 27th 2017, 4:42 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by csdf
I can put him on to the events mgnt company that my wife used to work at.
That would be really helpful. I am going to give him the feedback given already. What would he need to do to get in touch with them?
Old Apr 27th 2017, 4:43 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I have met a few people in events management in the UAE over the years and the consensus was that it's a ruthless industry and very dependent on connections. Quite a few people try to strike it out on their own and fail.

If your mate has the impressive CV to back him up (based on size and scale and complexity of the events) then possibly the best strategy is to approach the big players as a consultant and start from there, before jumping out on his own.

I imagine one of the advantages of the big players is that they have entire databases of contacts to cover every aspect of events and can ring them up at a moment's notice to get a big event underway quickly. Can your mate do this? My guess is that until he can prove he can do this, he won't be taken seriously as a sole operator. So going the consultant route to get started is sensible.
You mention the 'big players' - who are they?
Old Apr 27th 2017, 4:44 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Thanks for all of the help so far everybody and sorry for the delayed response
Old May 9th 2017, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
That would be really helpful. I am going to give him the feedback given already. What would he need to do to get in touch with them?
I can give him the name of the person and he can then contact them via LinkedIn.
Old May 9th 2017, 3:23 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

I have PMd you - thanks