Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Working for Education Experts

Working for Education Experts

Old Jul 31st 2014, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

sq786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working for Education Experts

Hi

Has anyone worked for Education Experts, I have been offered a contract to work in Saudi, however I have read mixed reviews about working for EE.

The contract itself seemed very easy to acquire, i.e not much interviewing and I have no teaching experience although I do have the CELTA. I feel sceptical especially as they ask for £500 to process the visa.

The employers themselves i.e the inductors/interviewers didn't seem as professional as I would have expected.

The whole thing seems to be a bit to good to be true. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

S
Old Jul 31st 2014, 7:53 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working for Education Experts

did a internet search and this popped up

http://britishexpats.com/forum/me-jo...s-edex-799684/

Education Experts (EdEx) Saudi Arabia - Yes or No? - ESLwatch - Information, News and School Reviews

Education Experts Reviews | Glassdoor

so not looking to good. there are other companies that seem to look after you better
Old Jul 31st 2014, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mrs Fychan

Thank you for your response, I had seen two of the websites but hadn't discovered esl watch, its very useful.

Thanks once again for the quick response and help!

Old Aug 2nd 2014, 9:39 am
Just Joined

foodwriter is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, the inductors/interviewers are shockingly unprofessional. They actually falsified my CV without my knowledge - they may well do the same with you if you don't have two years' experience. Officially you need two years' ESL experience to teach in Saudi, but there's a shortage of teachers ...

Education Experts gets a lot of bad press, and mostly it's justly deserved. They often treat staff with indifference or contempt. I've been trying to email them for two months about money I was supposed to be getting imminently - they don't even answer my emails! Only when I return and get in their face will I get any satisfaction.

They do things like shift you from your apartment with only a matter of a few hours' notice. At the end of last semester, they told people to vacate their apartments a few hours before they were due to fly out. They had to hurriedly pack their stuff and put it into storage.

A friend of mine got promised one salary on the contract they sent him, and then got another on the one he had to sign when he arrived (though this was the only case I heard like this). Some teachers have problems getting paid holiday pay or refunds for flights. They can wait many months for this and waste endless hours - days - trying to sort the problems out.

Having said all that, in general EdEx will pay on time, and you will eventually get what you're owed. They actually have a reputation for being one of the better companies, believe it or not. Working in Saudi can be difficult, and if you know that going in, you can prepare yourself. There are a lot of positives, too - I love my students.

If you don't have any experience, you really need to get that two years that is the industry standard. You might as well start with EdEx as any other.

Hope that helps ....
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 12:45 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum Foodwriter

Think I'm going to shift this topic over to the Middle East section as there's some good information here which may benefit others, and some good links too.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by foodwriter
Yes, the inductors/interviewers are shockingly unprofessional. They actually falsified my CV without my knowledge - they may well do the same with you if you don't have two years' experience. Officially you need two years' ESL experience to teach in Saudi, but there's a shortage of teachers ...

Education Experts gets a lot of bad press, and mostly it's justly deserved. They often treat staff with indifference or contempt. I've been trying to email them for two months about money I was supposed to be getting imminently - they don't even answer my emails! Only when I return and get in their face will I get any satisfaction.

They do things like shift you from your apartment with only a matter of a few hours' notice. At the end of last semester, they told people to vacate their apartments a few hours before they were due to fly out. They had to hurriedly pack their stuff and put it into storage.

A friend of mine got promised one salary on the contract they sent him, and then got another on the one he had to sign when he arrived (though this was the only case I heard like this). Some teachers have problems getting paid holiday pay or refunds for flights. They can wait many months for this and waste endless hours - days - trying to sort the problems out.

Having said all that, in general EdEx will pay on time, and you will eventually get what you're owed. They actually have a reputation for being one of the better companies, believe it or not. Working in Saudi can be difficult, and if you know that going in, you can prepare yourself. There are a lot of positives, too - I love my students.

If you don't have any experience, you really need to get that two years that is the industry standard. You might as well start with EdEx as any other.

Hope that helps ....
If they were signed by a UK office, can't you take them to the small claims court? Someone on Daves listed their experiences in that quarter.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by foodwriter

Hope that helps ....
Hey

Thanks alot for your reply, its much appreciated, I hope you get what you are owed!

Regards

SQ
Old Aug 4th 2014, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Working for m2r global

Btw, has anyone worked for m2r global? They also recruit for Saudi and seem to have a lot of jobs advertised.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

foodwriter is an unknown quantity at this point

In case anyone looks up this old thread, I thought I'd give an update. EdEx is now an unmitigated disaster. They commonly pay salaries weeks late. They have difficulty renewing visas. They delay final-settlement pay so long that people give up waiting and just leave. They lie all the time. Even a manager for the company admitted it's now a rudderless ship.

It's never been a very good company, but no sensible person should take a job with them, and those of us still with the company are looking round for other jobs.