Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Working in Dubai (Teaching)

Working in Dubai (Teaching)

Old Nov 7th 2011, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

rustysmart is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Working in Dubai (Teaching)

Hi All,

After an amazing week in Dubai, it confirmed to my wife and I that we would really like to teach out there which is something we have been considering for some time now.

As some teaching vacancies are starting to appear, could you give me an indication of which schools might be worth an application. It's a minefield of schools out there and as in the UK there will be some good and some not so. I also understand that it is very much a matter of opinion too.

If anyone would like to reply or PM me any advice then that would be great. I've been reading lots of parent's views about schools too and some familiar names keep popping up as good including Regent, GEMS and JESS to name a few.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

elmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Working in Dubai (Teaching)

Hi interesting you mention Regent, I am looking for some info on Regent as I have applied for a job there as just advertised in the TES. However on searching the net I have found quite a mixed bag of comments about it. Lots of bad stuff but a lot of that seems to be a couple of years old. Am looking to hear from anyone teaching there or anyone whose children attend school there.
Look forward to hearing from you!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Dubai (Teaching)

People... remember the reasons you decided to become a teacher: shorter hours, summers off, no accountability

Just go to the Regent

To be honest, my view is a lot of the Dubai schools are much-of-a-muchness. Any differences get blown out of all proportion by bored competing housewives reading too much into the emotive language used in the KDHA assessment reports.

Last edited by Millhouse; Nov 8th 2011 at 3:14 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 2:00 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 9th 2011, 4:59 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what you mean by a 'good' school.

If, by 'good' you mean one with a good reputation (but where you will have to work pretty hard to earn your dosh):
JESS, JESS Ranches, Jebel Ali, DESS, JPS, Kings, Horizon (primary)

Dubai College, DESC, Jumeirah College (secondary)

You could consider Repton but teachers don't get a particularly good deal there in lots of ways.

Although there is one parent here who is happy with Regents, as a teacher I would avoid it.

Avoid School of Research Science like the plague.

Look carefully before taking a job in a GEMS school.

Salaries can vary greatly, but the 'not for profit' schools generally pay best.

You don't say whether you are primary or secondary. A recent development is that, due to severe teaching job shortages in UK, many more people are applying overseas with Dubai as a firm favourite.

Teachers in most schools give their intention to stay or leave around this point so most jobs are advertised from November to around end Feb. After that there is a steadily declining number. You get the odd ones towards the end of the school year.

Look on TES. Maybe consider using Search Associates (a company who sets up job fairs for overseas teaching posts).

If you want any further, specific info PM me.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 5:43 am
Just Joined

rustysmart is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks VM for the detailed response, you have outlined a number of areas and schools that I have been aware of by different people including teachers.

I'm primary and looking to move out to Dubai after 8 years of teaching. You're right about the job shortages here which will make applying for a job an interesting challenge but one that my wife and I are going to try for Sept '12.

Thanks once again.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Scarlets fan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi VM I'm sorry to jump into this thread but seeing the good advice that you gave wondered if you might be able to help me please?
I've been in Dubai with my husband for just over a year now on a "not allowed to work" visa!! with maybe the intention of eventually teaching! I say maybe as currently although qualified and experienced in adult training, my qualifications do not enable me to teach in my desired area - early years/primary.
I have been undertaking a distance learning degree in Early Childhood Studies over the last 4 years and now finally have time to get it finished! My original plan when I lived in the UK was to complete my degree and then complete a GTP or PGCE to become a nursery/reception/key stage 1 primary teacher, so my question to you is this......do you know if there is any similar qualification available to study in Dubai? I have tried to research but am getting nowhere fast!! All I seem to be able to find is information on teaching English which is not what I want to be doing! Also, whilst thinking about it....would you be able to advice me on the current employment opportunities for EY/Primary teachers in Dubai, and what you consider to be the benefits and pitfalls to teaching over here?
I would gratefully appreciate any advice/help you can give me as I decide just what to do in this next step of my adventure!! Thanks a lot )
Old Nov 26th 2011, 12:38 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scarlets fan
Hi VM I'm sorry to jump into this thread but seeing the good advice that you gave wondered if you might be able to help me please?
I've been in Dubai with my husband for just over a year now on a "not allowed to work" visa!! with maybe the intention of eventually teaching! I say maybe as currently although qualified and experienced in adult training, my qualifications do not enable me to teach in my desired area - early years/primary.
I have been undertaking a distance learning degree in Early Childhood Studies over the last 4 years and now finally have time to get it finished! My original plan when I lived in the UK was to complete my degree and then complete a GTP or PGCE to become a nursery/reception/key stage 1 primary teacher, so my question to you is this......do you know if there is any similar qualification available to study in Dubai? I have tried to research but am getting nowhere fast!! All I seem to be able to find is information on teaching English which is not what I want to be doing! Also, whilst thinking about it....would you be able to advice me on the current employment opportunities for EY/Primary teachers in Dubai, and what you consider to be the benefits and pitfalls to teaching over here?
I would gratefully appreciate any advice/help you can give me as I decide just what to do in this next step of my adventure!! Thanks a lot )
There are a couple of UK universities which do PGCE which can be done via distance learning in Dubai. However, I know one of them is not actually a teaching PGCE as such so you need to be careful when looking for a suitable one.

Employment opportunities? maybe look if any schools will take you for supply teaching, at least initially.

If not, you will probably get a job as a TA (pay varies from around 3,000 aed pcm to 8,000 aed pcm) in most schools.

For teaching jobs, most international schools want at least 2 years teaching experience, and currently have the pick of the crop, so a newly qualified teacher wouldn't probably get a look in.

Jobs are advertised in TES, and are beginning now.

Benefits of teaching in Dubai? you are living in Dubai, kids are generally great to teach, salaries are pretty good, resources are pretty good

Cons? If your husband is working, you won't get other benefits such as flights, accom or health care.

As has been hinted at in this ppost however, there are some schools to aim for and some to avoid like the plague.

If you want anything more specific, please send a PM
Old Apr 25th 2012, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Depends what you mean by a 'good' school.

If, by 'good' you mean one with a good reputation (but where you will have to work pretty hard to earn your dosh):
JESS, JESS Ranches, Jebel Ali, DESS, JPS, Kings, Horizon (primary)

Dubai College, DESC, Jumeirah College (secondary)

You could consider Repton but teachers don't get a particularly good deal there in lots of ways.

Although there is one parent here who is happy with Regents, as a teacher I would avoid it.

Avoid School of Research Science like the plague.

Look carefully before taking a job in a GEMS school.

Salaries can vary greatly, but the 'not for profit' schools generally pay best.

You don't say whether you are primary or secondary. A recent development is that, due to severe teaching job shortages in UK, many more people are applying overseas with Dubai as a firm favourite.

Teachers in most schools give their intention to stay or leave around this point so most jobs are advertised from November to around end Feb. After that there is a steadily declining number. You get the odd ones towards the end of the school year.

Look on TES. Maybe consider using Search Associates (a company who sets up job fairs for overseas teaching posts).

If you want any further, specific info PM me.
Hi there, I wonder if you could help me. I am looking to come out and teach in Abu Dhabi or Dubai this August. I am a primary teacher and I have just applied to Abu Dhabi Education Council with teachaway - for placement in a public school - was this the wrong thing to do? After applying I read that there are only between 3/5 foreign teachers at each school - This worries me a little as I am coming out on my own from Scotland and would like to meet people and also that I would maybe be better applying for international schools - Any suggestions anybody - or anywhere to avoid applying?
Many thanks in advance
Old Apr 25th 2012, 6:04 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by silversilver
Hi there, I wonder if you could help me. I am looking to come out and teach in Abu Dhabi or Dubai this August. I am a primary teacher and I have just applied to Abu Dhabi Education Council with teachaway - for placement in a public school - was this the wrong thing to do? After applying I read that there are only between 3/5 foreign teachers at each school - This worries me a little as I am coming out on my own from Scotland and would like to meet people and also that I would maybe be better applying for international schools - Any suggestions anybody - or anywhere to avoid applying?
Many thanks in advance
You would be better applying to an individual school, preferably British curriculum. Unfortunately most have already finished their recruiting for next year.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

silversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud ofsilversilver has much to be proud of

Thank you so much for your advice
Old May 13th 2012, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

IndieDarling is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello silversilver,

I'm a primary teacher too and will be moving to Bahrain in the summer.

If you are looking for lots of expat teachers than the Teachaway placement at a public school was probably not the best choice...but I've been in similar situations before and it worked out alright.

In Mexico there were only 4 expat teachers at my school. Obviously we became really close, but I still went out and met other English teachers and expats. You can do the same. The same thing happened in Vienna, but I made sure to join expat groups and those were the people I became close friends with (because really, do you want to spend all your time talking about work and kids who misbehave?).

I do know that some schools in Bahrain are still hiring. Not sure which ones to avoid though....

http://www.nisbah.com/emp2.html

http://www.britishschoolbahrain.com/...category&id=66

http://www.alhekma.com/bahrain/curr_vac.htm

http://www.alhekma.com/employment.asp

There are a ton of British expats here so I'm sure you'll have no problems meeting people.

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by silversilver
Many thanks in advance
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IndieDarling
Hello silversilver,

I'm a primary teacher too and will be moving to Bahrain in the summer.

If you are looking for lots of expat teachers than the Teachaway placement at a public school was probably not the best choice...but I've been in similar situations before and it worked out alright.

In Mexico there were only 4 expat teachers at my school. Obviously we became really close, but I still went out and met other English teachers and expats. You can do the same. The same thing happened in Vienna, but I made sure to join expat groups and those were the people I became close friends with (because really, do you want to spend all your time talking about work and kids who misbehave?).

I do know that some schools in Bahrain are still hiring. Not sure which ones to avoid though....

http://www.nisbah.com/emp2.html

http://www.britishschoolbahrain.com/...category&id=66

http://www.alhekma.com/bahrain/curr_vac.htm

http://www.alhekma.com/employment.asp

There are a ton of British expats here so I'm sure you'll have no problems meeting people.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for all your advice, I would really like to teach in Dubai so continue to look out for posts. Fingers crossed one comes up for this academic year:-)