Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Withdrawn Job Offer - Advice.

Withdrawn Job Offer - Advice.

Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Withdrawn Job Offer - Advice.

To cut a long story short, the job offer I had from Qatar has been withdrawn as I am missing one educational certificate. THey have everything else. I cannot get a duplicate, I've tried and failed, so the offer has been pulled.

Question is, with all the other documentation I sent back to the UK for notarising, attesting, legalising and sending it back and forth, I am currently out of pocket to the tune of £850.

Do you think there is any chance of getting this back from either the proposed employer, or the recruitment company? Or do I just write if off?

THe way I see it, I was asked to do it, to progress the work visa and so out of goodwill, I paid for all the work to be done. I was told I could claim all the expenses back - but when I joined. Now I'm not joining, do I stand to lose all of this? Seems a bit harsh. :-(

Maybe a lesson learnt for any prospective candidates out there - make sure your expenses will be covered regardless of the outcome.

Cheers.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Withdrawn Job Offer - Advice.

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
To cut a long story short, the job offer I had from Qatar has been withdrawn as I am missing one educational certificate. THey have everything else. I cannot get a duplicate, I've tried and failed, so the offer has been pulled.

Question is, with all the other documentation I sent back to the UK for notarising, attesting, legalising and sending it back and forth, I am currently out of pocket to the tune of £850.

Do you think there is any chance of getting this back from either the proposed employer, or the recruitment company? Or do I just write if off?

THe way I see it, I was asked to do it, to progress the work visa and so out of goodwill, I paid for all the work to be done. I was told I could claim all the expenses back - but when I joined. Now I'm not joining, do I stand to lose all of this? Seems a bit harsh. :-(

Maybe a lesson learnt for any prospective candidates out there - make sure your expenses will be covered regardless of the outcome.

Cheers.
I sort of see this as all your own fault... If I was the employer I wouldn't hand over a pile of money to someone whom I'm not going to recruit, have no contractual relationship with and who was unable to prove their education...

But, good luck. Well worth a shot, although remember you might need all these people in the future!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:41 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

write it off to experience, sorry to hear this though
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers.
Forget the Money! - I can sympathise! - Where was the 'Location of Recruitment?' UK, UAE, or Qatar? A 'Contract' can exist by 'Deed or Action,' however, I do not 'Fancy your Chances' of getting the money back!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackthehat
A 'Contract' can exist by 'Deed or Action'
get real...
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:12 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
Sorry to hear that mate. I suggest write off the money. They will never pay I don't think.

By the way, you have a Saudi iqama right? And they require degree certificates for that so are they asking for something more than the degree certificate in Qatar?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I'm in Saudi, have a Saudi Iqama, so it wasn't a problem getting the work visa for here. The job offer was for Doha. THe thing is, when I provided all my certificates for Saudi work visa, I didn't present this one certificate that Qatar are now asking for. I don't have a degree, but the Diploma I did was classed as a post grad degree equivalent. That's the missing piece of the jigsaw. I lost it many years ago, and have ever been asked for it - until now. Tried all sorts but just cannot get a duplicate issued.

THe interview was back in November, it took them two months to come up with a reasonable offer, a month to get my other certificates back to the UK for legalising, and now another month for them deliberate over how to progress.

It's disappointing - and also expensive! I've kind of realised that I won't get it back, but something to learn from for the future.

Thanks for the replies, appreciated.

Last edited by nottmbantam; Mar 31st 2011 at 2:35 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Yes I'm in Saudi, have a Saudi Iqama, so it wasn't a problem getting the work visa for here. The job offer was for Doha. THe thing is, when I provided all my certificates for Saudi work visa, I didn't present this one certificate that Qatar are now asking for. I don't have a degree, but the Diploma I did was classed as a post grad degree equivalent. That's the missing piece of the jigsaw. I lost it many years ago, and have ever been asked for it - until now. Tried all sorts but just cannot get a duplicate issued.

THe interview was back in November, it took them two months to come up with a reasonable offer, a month to get my other certificates back to the UK for legalising, and now another month for them deliberate over how to progress.

It's disappointing - and also expensive! I've kind of realised that I won't get it back, but something to learn from for the future.

Thanks for the replies, appreciated.
Most won't pay back. We refunded a visa cost for an Indian in Dubai who was trying to get a visa for visiting the UK for interview, cost us about £200 (we are the recruiters btw).

I think like most say, you'll be hard pushed. Most of the time I'd expect a contract to be accepted, signed, sent back before the visa issues came about. The company should be sorting it for you and paying the costs back once you've started, but unless your contract was in place and agreed I'd struggle to see them giving you a refund.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 7:13 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Rather odd that the Qatar requirements were stricter than Saudi Arabia. Also, as it was a genuine qualification, I don't see why the educational institution concerned could not have provided the necessary verification. Otherwise, it's very bad luck on your part. Sadly, I don't see your costs getting reimbursed.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lionheart
Rather odd that the Qatar requirements were stricter than Saudi Arabia. Also, as it was a genuine qualification, I don't see why the educational institution concerned could not have provided the necessary verification. Otherwise, it's very bad luck on your part. Sadly, I don't see your costs getting reimbursed.
Yeah, tend to agree, can't see the money coming back into my pocket. THey still haven't refunded the cost of the flight to Doha from Riyadh for the interview - which they said they would, that was over four months ago. Tight buggers.

It's a real pain with the certificate, and yes, Qatar seem to be a lot stricter than Saudi but I'm kind of stuck between the academic institute and the awarding body - neither of them will provide the certificate.

Just a bit worried for future job applications now, I fear I might be stuck in Saudi for a long time and that's not good !!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

I'm kind of stuck between the academic institute and the awarding body - neither of them will provide the certificate.
You sure they aren't legally bound to provide duplicate certificates when requested (at a cost maybe)?

If it's a UK issue try the Citizens Advice Bureau.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by saudiflares
You sure they aren't legally bound to provide duplicate certificates when requested (at a cost maybe)?

If it's a UK issue try the Citizens Advice Bureau.
Well, I have offered to pay and filled out the relevant forms, but both the Awarding Body and the Academic Institute say as it's so long ago ( 1992-93), and the award no longer exists, they don't have any records gong back that far! All I've got in writing so far is from the Academic Institute stating that I enrolled on the course. As they were not the Awarding Body at the time, they cannot issue a duplicate.

The Awarding Body nowadays no longer exists. Its' modern day replacement state that their records do not go that far back, so they cannot issue a certificate either.

Bit of a dead end really.

Last edited by nottmbantam; Apr 3rd 2011 at 6:35 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I have offered to pay and filled out the relevant forms, but both the Awarding Body and the Academic Institute say as it's so long ago ( 1992-93), and the award no longer exists, they don't have any records gong back that far! All I've got in writing so far is from the Academic Institute stating that I enrolled on the course. As they were not the Awarding Body at the time, they cannot issue a duplicate.

The Awarding Body nowadays no longer exists. Its' modern day replacement state that their records do not go that far back, so they cannot issue a certificate either.

Knock a home made certificate up then. There's no awarding body to discredit it!! I had to get a duplicate 1995 degree cert to come over to UAE in '05. Paid 30 quid then found the original.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Knock a home made certificate up then. There's no awarding body to discredit it!! I had to get a duplicate 1995 degree cert to come over to UAE in '05. Paid 30 quid then found the original.
Know anyone good at forgery?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar issue - I lost my first degree certificate and the Bank wanted to see if even though i had an MBA.

The way around was that i spoke to one of the lecturers who was there at the same time and he gave me a reference and confirmed i attended. Bank accepted it without any probs.

Gent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.