Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

What's the worst that can happen? Oh it already has...

What's the worst that can happen? Oh it already has...

Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:29 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's the worst that can happen? Oh it already has...

Hi guys

I brought the family out to Abu Dhabi last August to launch a new English TV channel for the Middle East. Sadly this proved too much for the Abu Dhabi Media Company who first took us over, then last week decided to shelve both the English channel and the associated Arabic channel. Various puzzling reasons why are touted about, most make no sense. So, huge studios, fully kitted, out sitting in the desert, redundant. Billions of dhs wasted. Small army of TV professionals brought in from all over the world and who gave up good jobs etc etc etc also bloody redundant.

Anyway, whilst I tout myself around various TV and production companies in Dubai, I'm putting the husband out to work (he took taken a career break and was doing a course...)

We don't know if we're staying or going back yet - depends if either of us can secure good work in the next few months - can anyone recommend a decent recruitment agency for the hubby? He's been a civil servant for years - laterly working in the department of communities and local government as a policy advisor on local authority housing and finance, before that he working in housing data and statisics. I have no idea what this means or what job prospects that would offer him.

Any ideas?? He's British btw, if that makes any kind of difference. As this is NOTHING like my industry I'm at a loss.

Other than that I'm looking at putting the children to work... Or we go home and suffer the tax consequences that entails.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the worst that can happen? Oh it already has...

Terrible experience for you and your family but I have to say that his type of thing happens far too often in the ME and that's why I always recommend that the person securing a job in the ME comes first and sees how it all goes before bringing their family out. Loads of projects get put on hold or stopped altogether. It happened to us in the past so I know the stress that you are going through. Good luck with the search - don't give up!
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:06 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean Soukie but I could never have come out leaving my kids at home. The family coming was always the deal. I honestly don't know how the fathers do it for months at a time. The three weeks without them back in August was more than enough for me. My chin is up. I'm going to stay positive, but, jeez, there are a lot of people miserable at the moment and that's all because one very senior person is pissed off with another very senior person.

Old Mar 28th 2011, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lullabelle
...so, huge studios, fully kitted out, sitting in the desert, redundant. Billions of dhs wasted...
If that had been your own personally saved, billions of dhs wasted then THAT would definitely have been the worst that could have happened. Assuming that you were merely an employee of the TV company, then I would simply cut my losses and head straight home if I were you. If you were the owner of the TV company then presumably you would still have the proceeds of the sale when Abu Dhabi Media took you over.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 12:52 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
If that had been your own personally saved, billions of dhs wasted then THAT would definitely have been the worst that could have happened. Assuming that you were merely an employee of the TV company, then I would simply cut my losses and head straight home if I were you. If you were the owner of the TV company then presumably you would still have the proceeds of the sale when Abu Dhabi Media took you over.
Corleone, your empathy knows no bounds.

Hope you get it sorted Lullabelle, good luck.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Sent you a PM.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 6:50 pm
Perky but sarky

a big public thank you to millhouse and weescot for being generous with their advice and help.

its a shitty situation but i'm determined not to give up so easily. I'm bloody good at my job and telly here is dreadful so I have to at least give it a go.

Plus its time my man also had a go at the frustrations of working here. That'll teach him for moaning at me that he was bored reading by the pool/going to the gym everyday...
Old Mar 31st 2011, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear it all, sounds like a right nightmare, fingers crossed for you that it gets sorted.

Good luck.