Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Web Design/Development Expat

Web Design/Development Expat

Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

taralass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Web Design/Development Expat

We are very much wanting to relocate to Dubai, we have x2 children 5yrs & 12yrs.

My partner has been in the web development industry for 18 yrs now.
Could any one please tell us if you get expat packages with Web employment?

When searching the internet they seem to offer this to teachers and service employees only.

I am Early Years qualified so hoping would go straight into a job however we have heard my partner needs to find the main job with package.

Any help/advice would be really appreciated.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:01 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Web Design/Development Expat

Originally Posted by taralass
We are very much wanting to relocate to Dubai, we have x2 children 5yrs & 12yrs.

When searching the internet they seem to offer this to teachers and service employees only.

I am Early Years qualified so hoping would go straight into a job however we have heard my partner needs to find the main job with package.

welcome to BE, I have no idea but someone on here will be able to help, probably Scamp as he works in Recruitment
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:11 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, it's unlikely. Unless he has worked with the biggest names in the business and has a client list that is similarly impressive, it's unlikely there will be businesses clamouring over themselves to hire him.

And to get proper expat packages these days, that's what you need.

The majority of junior and mid-level jobs are handled by filipinos earning between 3-5k a month.

Hopefully with 18 years under his belt though, he'll have a stellar portfolio. PM me and I'll send you some names for him to contact.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately it will not allow me to private message you.

My partner has been self-employed and has a huge portfollio. He has also spent the previous four months doing lead web design for a well know IT training company in south west England.

If you could forward me any contacts that would be fantastic thankyou.

<<snip>>

Last edited by Sue; Sep 10th 2012 at 1:16 pm. Reason: email address removed for privacy
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:18 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

You can PM now. We have a restriction for new members (in order to deter spammers who try and target our members via the PM system. But you should be good to go now. Not a good idea to post your email address on a public forum

Oh and welcome to BE
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

BritGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a programmer/web developer, and I can tell you that you will be very unlikely to get 'western' salary here no matter how impressive your portfolio and experience. The IT industry is staffed mainly by people from India and Pakistan, and even as a senior consultant you will be lucky to earn over 10k per month. Your only option would be to move up to management level as I did, but its difficult as Westerners are not desired in these roles and the salaries are still lower than the equivalent management in other industries. I was lucky (and I am female so my wage is not the main family income) and have successfully moved into another area. I would 99% say you would be unable to support a wife and put 2 children through school working in web development here. I don't do any programming now and really miss it, but infortunately programming here doesn't pay the bills
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

AirBender is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritGeek
I am a programmer/web developer, and I can tell you that you will be very unlikely to get 'western' salary here no matter how impressive your portfolio and experience. The IT industry is staffed mainly by people from India and Pakistan, and even as a senior consultant you will be lucky to earn over 10k per month. Your only option would be to move up to management level as I did, but its difficult as Westerners are not desired in these roles and the salaries are still lower than the equivalent management in other industries. I was lucky (and I am female so my wage is not the main family income) and have successfully moved into another area. I would 99% say you would be unable to support a wife and put 2 children through school working in web development here. I don't do any programming now and really miss it, but infortunately programming here doesn't pay the bills
I would second what BritGeek said. Plus she is speaking from experience of the same industry.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

AirBender is an unknown quantity at this point

One alternative would be for him to find a partner in UAE and launch company in ME. Then focus on business development and making new clients. Then he can hire the same subcons to do the actual programming *cheaper*.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGeek

christ, I hope that Meow doesn't see this...
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:35 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
christ, I hope that Meow doesn't see this...

Ha ha! I saw it and rolled my eyes.

How many times have I said that Dubai is twinned with 1956?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

BritGeek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
Ha ha! I saw it and rolled my eyes.

How many times have I said that Dubai is twinned with 1956?
It certainly is, I was the main earner in the family for many years back in the UK, but my gender goes against me here especially in the male dominated world of IT. Female programmers are unusual in the UK, but here they just don't exist
Old Sep 11th 2012, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Thank you everyone for your replies.