Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to the Middle East

Wanting to move to the Middle East

Old May 5th 2011, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

BethMS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to move to the Middle East

Hello everyone,

I am currently living with my husband and 2 month old daughter in Portugal. Due to the terrible economic situation here, things are not going as well as we expected. We are now thinking about moving to the Emirates, specifically Al Ain. I was brought up in Dubai and AD, so it would be nice for me to go back.

My husband, however, is not familiar with the UAE and is nervous things will be difficult for us. The job my husband is interested has medical coverage, a housing allowance, subsidized education for kids, tickets home once a year.

Do you think this is a good package?
How much would a good housing allowance be?
I am planning to go back to work in September 2012 so that I can look after my daughter, so we'd only have one salary of around 12,500 AED. Would this be enough? We are not lavish spenders and live quietly.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Beth
Old May 5th 2011, 1:20 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move to the Middle East

You don't say what your husband does so it's impossible to say if that salary is reasonable for the job. AED 12k pm isn't much though, so you would need to have your housing and all school fees fully covered

Note that as Al Ain in in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, the employer has to provide medical insurance for all the family by law, not as a benefit.

I don't know about rents in Al Ain, although I am sure someone does. There is also a very long thread about Al Ain in the main forum which may have some useful info for you.
Old May 5th 2011, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

BethMS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply. It's very useful to know that medical has to be covered by the company by law. Is that the same case for Dubai?

And the job add mentions a "substantial" housing subsidy.

As for the job, he is a teacher.
Old May 5th 2011, 2:02 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BethMS
Thanks for your reply. It's very useful to know that medical has to be covered by the company by law. Is that the same case for Dubai?

Teacher's don't get substantial housing allowances, find out exact package and get back to us
Old May 5th 2011, 2:08 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BethMS

No, the medical requirement is for AD only. Substantial by whose standards? Even for a teacher the salary is rather low, especially if they are not fully covering rent or providing accommodation. Quite a few teachers have housing provided by employers.

In short, even if all your housing costs and schooling is fully covered, it is not a great income for a family. You could manage but you would have to watch the pennies and would not be able to save much.
Old May 5th 2011, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
No, the medical requirement is for AD only.
Not for much longer if the head of MoH on the radio yesterday is to be believed.
Old May 6th 2011, 12:46 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Not for much longer if the head of MoH on the radio yesterday is to be believed.
That would be good news, but I won't hold my breath just yet. Nothing has come from the previous announcements.