US Journeyman Electrician

Old Jun 5th 2011, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Sparkee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Journeyman Electrician

Hi there, can anyone help me or point in the right direction to find work overseas, preferably Dubai if possible, looks like a nice place to work & safe, I hold a US Journeyman's Electrical licence, had my own business there for many years (Boston) we came back about 8 years ago to put the kids to school here. Thanks
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:30 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Journeyman Electrician

Unfortunately, there won't be much in the safe developed places, especially here in the Middle East.

Qatar is safe, but it's arguably not developed. And even then, you'll likely be competing against skilled Indians/Pakistanis/Sri Lankans who will be able to do the job for a lot less than what you'd be willing to accept.

I know it's been mentioned here a couple of times that there are Western companies offering electrical services to the better off areas that can afford it, but I think those markets are few and far between, and sewn up.

I'd say the best place to look would be Qatar. And even then, bear in mind that it has very little to do compared to Dubai or Abu Dhabi.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Sparkee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by auzdafluff View Post
Unfortunately, there won't be much in the safe developed places, especially here in the Middle East.

Qatar is safe, but it's arguably not developed. And even then, you'll likely be competing against skilled Indians/Pakistanis/Sri Lankans who will be able to do the job for a lot less than what you'd be willing to accept.

I know it's been mentioned here a couple of times that there are Western companies offering electrical services to the better off areas that can afford it, but I think those markets are few and far between, and sewn up.

I'd say the best place to look would be Qatar. And even then, bear in mind that it has very little to do compared to Dubai or Abu Dhabi.
Hi Auz, I know what you mean, cheap labour is everywhere even in the skilled trades! I will have to keep trying & see what happens I guess the western companies would be the safe bet, could you recommend any? much appreciated if you can, good luck to you & thanks again.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:26 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkee View Post
Hi Auz, I know what you mean, cheap labour is everywhere even in the skilled trades! I will have to keep trying & see what happens I guess the western companies would be the safe bet, could you recommend any? much appreciated if you can, good luck to you & thanks again.
Ah, but competing with cheap labour here isn't like competing with a Mexican tradesmen in New York. It is engrained in the system here that blue collar work is done by south east asians on 150-200USD / month.

Management roles are the only way. Or set up your own business ripping off rich expats for AC repairs that cost double what they would in the west while getting the indians on 150USD/month to do the work.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

If you have Managerial experience in H.V , M.E.P , Industrial Installation or O&G supervising a sub-continental workforce then you try Qatar or K.S.A.

Qatar still does employ a high degree of operational staff out in the field simply because the expertise needed just can't be got within certain nationalities in specific industries.

It's very specific here and you'll see lots of Western staff in overalls and in the field working , something that is quite alien in some of the other Gulf states . Q.P , Shell G.T.L , Ras Gas all employ large numbers of Western expat field supervisors / managers . The trouble is that you'll need a lot of experience in that specific field to warrant a position .

Last edited by co durham boy; Jun 6th 2011 at 9:03 am.