Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

US citizen to work as Structural Engineer in Middle East

US citizen to work as Structural Engineer in Middle East

Old Oct 10th 2019, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

abadr is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation US citizen to work as Structural Engineer in Middle East

Hello everyone,

I am a structural Engineer (10 years of experience) with Masters degree and hopefully PE license (taking the exam in April 2020), long story short

I earn about $90k annually and have 3 kids (one with special needs), I tried to google some recruiters in the middle east region but I end up getting referred to some websites that doesn't really help

so am wondering if you guys can guide me to some folks/resources that I can use/contact

Also, if you can advise me on what a reasonable salary (having no experience in ME region), am trying to stay away from UAE due its high lifestyle

Hopefully my request is not vague, but any inputs is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Old Apr 24th 2021, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

Zk00023 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US citizen to work as Structural Engineer in Middle East

Hi,

Not sure if you have found information ON Job and salary in middle east? I am struggling to find information myself online. Need a bIt of guidance.
I am chartered structural engineer in London and looking to move to KSA or UAE next year. I have +8 years of experience and not sure where to start...
If you or anyone could assist please i would greatly appreciate this.

Many thanks
Old Apr 25th 2021, 12:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Zk00023 View Post
Hi,

Not sure if you have found information ON Job and salary in middle east? I am struggling to find information myself online. Need a bIt of guidance.
I am chartered structural engineer in London and looking to move to KSA or UAE next year. I have +8 years of experience and not sure where to start...
If you or anyone could assist please i would greatly appreciate this.

Many thanks
unfortunately, I got no where and I haven’t really continued looking seriously after. Good luck
Old Apr 27th 2021, 3:03 pm
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember that there is the income side of things, but also the cost side. As a US Citizen there is a tax headache for gross earned income above roughly $108k, that means allowances for school fees, accommodation (partially deductible), flights home all will be taxable by Uncle Sam.

School fees at American School Doha are about QAR 60k - 75k per year per child
Large Villa 12-17k per month

Old Apr 27th 2021, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fth View Post
Remember that there is the income side of things, but also the cost side. As a US Citizen there is a tax headache for gross earned income above roughly $108k, that means allowances for school fees, accommodation (partially deductible), flights home all will be taxable by Uncle Sam.

School fees at American School Doha are about QAR 60k - 75k per year per child
Large Villa 12-17k per month
thank you for clarifying that, taxes won’t go any where and its part of the process no matter which country we go to.
Also, I am not sure if my assumption is correct or not but I feel that there is not much information about recruiting agencies that recruits globally and helps expats to settle and provide the right choice for them and their families. 🤷‍♂️
Old Apr 28th 2021, 3:37 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

The majority of the consultant engineers I knew in the ME, first came across through secondment or transfers from the company that they were working with abroad. That seems like an easier first path than being recruited cold to the region. The teams were then bolstered by local hires, but the salaries offered to locals would be a lot lower.

You'll be relying primarily on the company to assist with housing, family stuff etc. rather than the recruiter. Market wise KSA is the busier area - lot of stagnation elsewhere
Old Apr 28th 2021, 4:10 am
fth
Forum Regular

fth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by abadr View Post
recruiting agencies that recruits globally and helps expats to settle and provide the right choice for them and their families. 🤷‍♂️
In this region I'd like to believe in unicorns and fairies too. Recruitment agents are typically younger people who have little clue and hungry for commission from their recruiting corporate clients. Candidate welfare is well down their priority list. This is an observation from working in Asia, this region and Australia.

Some employers do care about their employee welfare when moving them overseas but this is in the case of an internal transfer which is very different. Aramco in the 1980's also had informal family support mechanisms in place on their compounds for incoming families, not sure that happens now. The military services have support structures for people on deployment...