Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should employer cover this cost?

Should employer cover this cost?

Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

amir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the rough
Default Should employer cover this cost?

Hi all,

My employer in Dubai informs me that they will pay for medical insurance for me, but not cover the cost for my dependents?

Is this the norm or should they be covering the full cost for me and my family?

Thanks.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice
Default Re: Should employer cover this cost?

Its up to you to negotiate your package - is he paying for their flights/schooling/visa?
He responsible/obliged to cover his employees medical cover legally at the moment. But your family will need medical cover to live here.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

amir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the roughamir431974 is a jewel in the rough

Yes, they are paying for flights and visas, not schooling though.

So you are saying that, legally, he is covered by only covering me and he is not obliged to cover my family on medical insurance?

Thanks.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:42 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amir431974
So you are saying that, legally, he is covered by only covering me and he is not obliged to cover my family on medical insurance?

Thanks.
You are correct. He is only employing you, not your dependants.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yes technically they are only employing you and so only pay for you, if they are giving you flights and visas (as that can amount to quite abit) u are doing ok
Old Feb 19th 2009, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

OK, thanks for all your help. I just wanted to know if I was being 'done over' or not!

Cheers.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:48 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, maybe I'm in cukoo land but if my employer was happy that my family were here, through work and were not prepared to ensure they were medically covered, I'd be judging the ethics of my company.

It gives an insight to their standards
Old Feb 20th 2009, 6:51 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
Sorry, maybe I'm in cukoo land but if my employer was happy that my family were here, through work and were not prepared to ensure they were medically covered, I'd be judging the ethics of my company.

I agree with you 100%
Old Feb 20th 2009, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

outtatouch is an unknown quantity at this point

i would only accept if medical paid for all as well as schooling.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

its called cost cutting
Old Feb 20th 2009, 2:07 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by busybee2
its called cost cutting
yeah, geez the packages have certainly changed a lot, just in the last year!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

girlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to all

Originally Posted by commander

Totally agree.

Incidentally, legally an employer has to pay medical insurance for spouse and dependents under 18 if you are a resident of Abu Dhabi.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:31 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Its called a crap deal
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

Originally Posted by girlabouttown
Totally agree.

Incidentally, legally an employer has to pay medical insurance for spouse and dependents under 18 if you are a resident of Abu Dhabi.
I thought it was the sponsor who was responsible. Most cos sponsor the husband (or wife!) - and they in turn sponsor their spouse and children... so altho most cos do pay for medical for the whole family, I'm not sure they have to.

Agree with those who said don't come if not paying for school fees though - they're so expensive here! I don't even have kids (or husband for that matter) but my co wrote in school fees to the contract and what my change in allowances would be if I did get married, have kids etc. so that everything was cast in stone from the start.