Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

UK Architect Seeking ME Job

UK Architect Seeking ME Job

Old Mar 3rd 2010, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Hitch 46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Architect Seeking ME Job

Hello all.

I'm new here but have recently come across this forum (and website) and think it's fantastic.

I'm a registered architect with 10 years experience currently living in London trying to find a job in the Middle East. I'm 33, single with no dependants and seeking single occupancy status. I'm currently self-employed as a freelance architect in London but the economy and jobs market are still so grim here that I've decided to relocate abroad.

I've been looking since December and am finding it IMPOSSIBLE! I know construction's taken a big hit in the ME and that most jobs will invariably be offered to the truck-loads of redundant, locally experienced professionals already on the ground. But what I'm finding is that I'll apply to jobs and then for whatever reason, the vacancy will be withdrawn or put on hold!

So far I've applied to to a wide range of UK/ME recruitment agencies but neither method has been overly fruitful. I've also contacted several ME companies directly but again, no joy as yet. I've even broadened my skills-set to include Urban Planning, Design etc. but those sectors have proved equally unresponsive!

Any advice? Does anyone know of any specific firms recruiting? The best recruitment agencies/methods to try? Has the Dubai credit crisis damaged the jobs market everywhere else in the region? Any other suggestions? Apologies for the 20 questions but any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

HITCH 46

Last edited by Hitch 46; Mar 3rd 2010 at 1:54 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Architect Seeking ME Job

Originally Posted by Hitch 46
Hello all.

I'm new here but have recently come across this forum (and website) and think it's fantastic.

I'm a registered architect with 10 years experience currently living in London trying to find a job in the Middle East. I'm 33, single with no dependants and seeking single occupancy status. I'm currently self-employed as a freelance architect in London but the economy and jobs market are still so grim here that I've decided to relocate abroad.

I've been looking since December and am finding it IMPOSSIBLE! I know construction's taken a big hit in the ME and that most jobs will invariably be offered to the truck-loads of redundant, locally experienced professionals already on the ground. But what I'm finding is that I'll apply to jobs and then for whatever reason, the vacancy will be withdrawn or put on hold!

So far I've applied to to a wide range of UK/ME recruitment agencies but neither method has been overly fruitful. I've also contacted several ME companies directly but again, no joy as yet. I've even broadened my skills-set to include Urban Planning, Design etc. but those sectors have proved equally unresponsive!

Any advice? Does anyone know of any specific firms recruiting? The best recruitment agencies/methods to try? Has the Dubai credit crisis damaged the jobs market everywhere else in the region? Any other suggestions? Apologies for the 20 questions but any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

HITCH 46
Very very difficult in Dubai,construction is at a virtual standstill and people are just not employing and if they are they are looking for people with middle east experience.

Broaden your search to include Abu Dhabi , Qatar , Oman , Barhain etc and you will definitely get a more positive response.
Look for agencies that are based in the middle east as they will have the best on the ground knowledge.I think there is a list on this website.

But as far as Dubai is concerned it's had it's day in my opinion and it will take at least 5 years to recover.
There is still plenty of work in this region you will just have to broaden your research and your scope.

best of luck
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Mullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the roughMullet is a jewel in the rough

Consider Libya? I'm in construction and my firm is recruiting heavily there. It looks set to be the next construction hot spot (along with Brazil - got to be the best location in the world for a single man!).

From my brief time in the ME most of the architects I've worked with are based abroad; Singapore, Germany, Japan, USA to name a few. Unless your heart is set on the Middle East why not try those places?

I've heard the German market is picking up and UK architects are moving in that direction, a complete reversal from 2 years ago when every other architect in London was a German!

Good Luck!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Hitch 46 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated and very kind.

I haven't really been focussing on Dubai in my search so far, I've been applying to jobs all over the Middle East, (Bahrain, Abu Dhabi etc.) and have had a broadly similar response. Nevertheless, I'll take on board your advice and leave Dubai completely out of the picture. I'll also try and locate the list of local recruitment agencies elsewhere on this website too, cheers.

Brazil.... now there's a location I hadn't considered! Sounds like a great suggestion though, I'll definitely look into it. I'd heard the construction market in Libya is expanding but I'll probably have to do a little more research about the country/culture etc. before considering moving there.

To be brutally honest, the main attraction for moving to the Middle East was tax-free earnings. Callous I know but after a year of drastically reduced income, materialism no longer seems to be quite the vice I always thought it was! The large ex-pat community was also a minor consideration. So in principle, I have nothing against looking at other locations, perhaps I'll give that a go too.

Any other suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks again...

HITCH 46
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hitch 46
Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated and very kind.

I haven't really been focussing on Dubai in my search so far, I've been applying to jobs all over the Middle East, (Bahrain, Abu Dhabi etc.) and have had a broadly similar response. Nevertheless, I'll take on board your advice and leave Dubai completely out of the picture. I'll also try and locate the list of local recruitment agencies elsewhere on this website too, cheers.

Brazil.... now there's a location I hadn't considered! Sounds like a great suggestion though, I'll definitely look into it. I'd heard the construction market in Libya is expanding but I'll probably have to do a little more research about the country/culture etc. before considering moving there.

To be brutally honest, the main attraction for moving to the Middle East was tax-free earnings. Callous I know but after a year of drastically reduced income, materialism no longer seems to be quite the vice I always thought it was! The large ex-pat community was also a minor consideration. So in principle, I have nothing against looking at other locations, perhaps I'll give that a go too.

Any other suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks again...

HITCH 46
To be honest the one and only reason you should be here is for the tax free salary.
You have that right for a start and it's not callous it's reality,everything else is just an add on and a bonus.
As the previous poster said there is a lot of work in Libya and north Africa and also in some developing parts of South East Asia.

You can still try Dubai as there are alot of recruitment agencies based here for there middle east operations.
As planning and infastructure go Qatar,Saudi Arabia,Oman and Abu Dhabi are still recruiting heavily in these areas.
Get the details of country specific agencies and target them, i'm pretty sure you will get a more positive response.

Good luck .
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

rmjm are recruiting here, not sure whether the jobs are your area, but worth contacting them...

MM, xx