Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

UAE job market as a politics/IR grad?

UAE job market as a politics/IR grad?

Old Jun 14th 2018, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Fare25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UAE job market as a politics/IR grad?

Hi all!

First post here and really just looking for any advice or experiences from anyone that has a background in politics or international relations within the UAE.
Currently just finishing a masters degree in International Relations in London with my dissertation focussing on the GCC. Are British nationals likely to be able to break into the job market here with a MA in subjects like this, I have also previously worked for a short period in fraud at a large financial institution in the UK before my MA.

The reasons behind my considerations for moving are due to my partners visa issues for the UK, which has us considering moving to the UAE. She grew up their due to her parents work (she is an NRI) and still has a residence visa sponsored by them.

I'm aware there are many factors that could dictate me landing a job, but just trying to get a little advice that I perhaps i'd overlook myself.

Many thanks in advance!
Old Jun 15th 2018, 11:55 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE job market as a politics/IR grad?

What kind of role are you aiming for? I can't tell from your education and experience.

Unless I'm well off the mark I'm going to hazard a guess at almost zero chance of any meaningful job.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar background in the 1960s but took a sidestep into teaching - first History, then English.
Old Jun 16th 2018, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Roles do come up for experienced IR experts in Abu Dhabi, but if you are just starting then I think it will be very hard. Such jobs for newly qualified people are almost always reserved for locals only. Get a bit of relevant experience, and maybe a PhD, and you might have a chance (especially if you also speak Arabic?). What exactly is your dissertation topic - if it is sufficiently novel or groundbreaking then I guess you might be able to use it to drum up some interest. But as most master's dissertations are not at that level, then I assume this is not going to be the case here?