British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   ME Job Discussions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/)
-   -   UAE gratuity and international job transfer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/me-job-discussions-136/uae-gratuity-international-job-transfer-795548/)

flymickeyfly Apr 29th 2013 8:51 pm

UAE gratuity and international job transfer

Hi all,

I've scoured the forum with a fine-tooth comb (well as fine as I could get it) and I saw that this question had not been answered.

After nearly 4 years in the UAE. I'm transferring with the same company (a US multi-national) to the US. A colleague of mine claimed, and thus the nerves, that as it is a transfer and I am not actually ending service, that I would not be entitled to an end-of-service gratuity.

Is he correct?

Naveed

Millhouse Apr 30th 2013 4:30 am

Re: UAE gratuity and international job transfer

Originally Posted by flymickeyfly (Post 10684246)
Hi all,

I've scoured the forum with a fine-tooth comb (well as fine as I could get it) and I saw that this question had not been answered.

After nearly 4 years in the UAE. I'm transferring with the same company (a US multi-national) to the US. A colleague of mine claimed, and thus the nerves, that as it is a transfer and I am not actually ending service, that I would not be entitled to an end-of-service gratuity.

Is he correct?

Naveed

what does your contract say?

You are leaving the UAE and handing in your labour card and not passing go. You should collect it, in my view.

flymickeyfly Apr 30th 2013 5:27 am

Simply states "ESG will be paid in accordance with UAE Labour Law"

Mogs Apr 30th 2013 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10684578)
what does your contract say?

You are leaving the UAE and handing in your labour card and not passing go. You should collect it, in my view.

Agreed.

My company pays it when people transfer out of UAE to another country - same company but new contract of employment with the new company in the new country (btw my company is also a US Multi-national).

Backinthesand Apr 30th 2013 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Mogs (Post 10684615)
Agreed.

My company pays it when people transfer out of UAE to another country - same company but new contract of employment with the new company in the new country (btw my company is also a US Multi-national).

Definitely.

Only ever heard of ESB's in the Middle East. Seriously doubt you will have an ESB clause in your new contract with the US division.

mentalist Apr 30th 2013 6:51 am

Of course your Employers should pay. You are leaving the UAE after all.

busybee2 Apr 30th 2013 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Backinthesand (Post 10684651)
Definitely.

Only ever heard of ESB's in the Middle East. Seriously doubt you will have an ESB clause in your new contract with the US division.

yep its an middle east thing, in lieu of pension etc.

Welivehere Apr 30th 2013 7:06 am

Why not just ask them and/or a lawyer?

Meow Apr 30th 2013 7:16 am

Originally Posted by flymickeyfly (Post 10684246)
Hi all,

Is he correct?

Naveed

Your UAE employment will be ending so you are entitled to the full End of Service Gratuity in accordance with the UAE Labour Law. Whilst you may be technically with the same company your UAE emplyment contract will end.

Your colleage is wrong.

NorthernLad Apr 30th 2013 8:17 am

You should get gratuity unless specifically mentioned in your contract (a colleague just moved to a big multi-national here and his contract states no gratuity upon leaving).

Meow Apr 30th 2013 8:24 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10684741)
You should get gratuity unless specifically mentioned in your contract (a colleague just moved to a big multi-national here and his contract states no gratuity upon leaving).

That's only legal if there is some kind of alternative arrangement, such as a savings plan or pension scheme,

busybee2 Apr 30th 2013 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10684751)
That's only legal if there is some kind of alternative arrangement, such as a savings plan or pension scheme,

yes when hubs moved jobs, his eosb was reduced due to pension contributions etc.

MrBAH May 2nd 2013 9:28 am

When is the ESB paid? I know this sounds like an awfully stupid question, but is it paid on termination of the contract, i.e. on your last working day, or before? My question is borne out of wondering if/when this can be used, for instance, to transfer belongings back to home country, etc.

NorthernLad May 2nd 2013 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10684751)

This is a huge Japanese company, he took a big pay increase but waivered the EOSB. No pension or savings plan.

They have been in UAE for a long time, I'm sure it is all legal.

Meow May 2nd 2013 10:18 am

Originally Posted by MrBAH (Post 10688376)
When is the ESB paid? I know this sounds like an awfully stupid question, but is it paid on termination of the contract, i.e. on your last working day, or before? My question is borne out of wondering if/when this can be used, for instance, to transfer belongings back to home country, etc.

It should be paid with your final salary payment.